Thread: Boat License

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    Last edited by Sunshine; 06-28-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Hey, Sunny, I ran across one of your Wash. State boat questions:

Question 4

A boat is used where?

A) The Turnpike
    B) Your front yard for the kids to play on
    C) In Water
    D) You don't give a shit because you can't afford the gas
    E) Both C & D....maybe B
    Southern Gentleman

What the what?????

So, are you now a "ribber boat cap'n"?? Just like Bogart in The African Queen?

But seriously....What's the deal with this licencing?
    Are ALL boat operators supposed to get that.....from the guy with a 5hp outboard on his/her jon boat, up to the folks with boats big enough to sleep 12 on?

So, I guess now you know the difference between the port that you drink, the port where you stay, and the port side of the boat?
    And I just KNOW they made you learn the difference between bitter coffee and the bitter end??
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Florida law requires that persons born on or after January 1, 1988, complete a NASBLA-approved boater education course prior to operating a vessel powered by a motor of 10 horsepower or more. The law requires that persons affected by this legislation have in their possession a Boating Safety Education I.D. Card issued by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission and photographic I.D. while operating a vessel.

Back when I bought my first boat (15 years ago?), I found out even though I was not REQUIRED to have one, my insurance would be lower if I did, so I signed up for a course. It's been a while and I don't remember how long the course lasted, but I remember it was long enough the take a lunch break and it pretty much killed a Saturday for me. I scored 100% which I really didn't think was that big of a deal since the test was immediately after the class instruction. What DID surprise me was the fact I was the ONLY person in the class (of about 30 if I remember correctly) who had a perfect score. Some actually FAILED the course and had to reschedule for another class! Others were there after failing the test previously and this was their second (or third) attempt. I will admit, I believe I was the oldest person there and the others seemed to be all "20-somethings", but it made me wonder how many bozos are running around driving boats!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Washington Boater Education Card FAQ

Q. Are there exemptions to the boater education requirement?

A. You do not need a Washington Boater Education Card:
    1.If you were born before January 1st, 1955.
    2.If your watercraft has a motor smaller than 15 horsepower.
    3.If you hold a valid U.S. Coast Guard Marine Operator's License.
    4.If you are renting a watercraft and have a Commission-approved education checklist.
    5.If you are a non-Washington State resident (for the first 60 consecutive days, after which you need a Washington Boater Education Card).
    6.For the first 60 days you own a new watercraft (after which you need a Washington Boater Education Card).

They're doing the same thing in Virginia. Believe this year it's 45 and under...phasing in over the next 3-4 years until everyone has to have them. I got mine last year. Probably the same online course you took - or similar. Mine was free though. I did pay $5 for the hard plastic card versus the paper printed version.