Thread: Well dang! Sumpin' new to look for ....

Well dang! Sumpin' new to look for ....

I posted this a week or so ago ... about finding that old "Rotary" car badge at an estate sale of an (ex) car collector. I've never really given these things much thought, but when I came across them, I remembered ol' "Mike & Frank" always buy up any old car club memorabilia. With that in mind, I shelled out $4 in hard, cold cash for a couple of dusty old badges I stumbled across. Here's the one I posted a couple weeks ago. It sold for $52.00 ... I can live with a quick $50.00 profit!

rotaryinternational 002.JPG

Well, I just threw the second badge aside so I could research it ... but I've not been able to find one single word on Mr. Gore's Internet about this club. This is a small town and I figured the interest would be very limited, but I decided to just "wing it" and throw it up on The Bay this afternoon for a 1-week auction. It's pretty crusty, but I figure SOMEONE might want it. Heck, I've already made my $4 back, so I can't lose. Well dang! It was only listed a couple of hours and already has 2 bids! It's only up to $16.50 so far, but heck, I JUST posted it and have all week to go! Anyway, I thought I'd give youse dufes a heads-up if you see any of these old car badge thingies at yard sales and such. So far, they seem to be a pretty hot item. Thanks for the tip Mike & Frank!

lakelandcarclub0329 005.JPG

Every time I learn about something new you've found that people pay good money for, it reminds me of an old George Carlin line. One person's 'shit', is another person's 'stuff'.

BKB

Thump, do you ever run across any old Freemason memorabilia???....specifically, lapel pins, key chains, auto medallions, watches, cuff links, or any type of jewelry???
    Southern Gentleman

As a matter of fact Eddie, I was at a sale a week or two ago that had tons of it. I think I posted something about it here. There was Freemason stuff and a TON of Shriner's stuff. I didn't really know much about the stuff and didn't grab anything. I came home and studied up a bit and was going to go back the next day for the 1/2 price leftovers, but something came up and I didn't make it back over there. It was during that studying that I found out the Shriners are actually a body of the Masons. I didn't know that before ... I thought they were just goofy clown dudes who drove little cars in parades and donated to children's hospitals. I have to say, if nothing else, this estate sale stuff is an education. I learn sumpin' new every day.

Yep, seems like I remember your mentioning that, but for some reason, it didn't register with me, at the time.

Yep, Freemasons and Shriners are brothers....all Shriners are Masons, however, all Masons are not necessarily Shriners....both, have laudable intentions and values.

Keep your eyes peeled for some of those items, at your future estate sales.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 03-29-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

Will do Eddie. I remember thinking long and hard about springing for a watch with the Mason symbol on it. It was still in the case, with papers and appeared to be unused. It didn't impress me much ... it was electric and I didn't even recognize the brand. Looked kinda cheap to me, but it DID have the symbol on the dial. Looked like a gift or an award of some sort. There were all sorts of lapel pins, tie pins, etc. (didn't see a ring). Also all sorts of hats (fez?), badges, rule books, Bibles (with the emblem on the cover) ... heck, tons of stuff. It appeared the old guy had been a long-time Mason/Shriner.

Rotary????
    When in Houston....I stay at the Rotary HOUSE hotel.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Just the tiniest clarification; the Shriners are not a "body" of the Masons - two completely different cats - but as eddie says - you have to be a Mason to be a Shriner. Probably semantics to most, but "they" always make they distinction clear. I have my great grandfather's gold-headed cane presented to him at 50 years. Got a few other pieces of Masonic memorabilia from him. Kind of wondering what do do with it. I may have a case built and present to it the Lodge.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Hide, hang on to that cane....that's a real treasure....ran across these on another site, and they are beautiful, too.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Well I'll be ... that Lakeland Sports Car Club emblem hit $26.00 in the first 24 hours. It's a 7-day auction and the action usually doesn't start 'til the very end, so this may be a fun ride! I kinda doubt it'll hit the $52.00 mark the other one did, but it's half way there already. I'm havin' fun with it and that's all that matters.

We gonna change you handle to Midas....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I'll bet you a hundred dollars it will hit 60 bucks before it's over...

If you take that bet, I'll go run it up to over 60 and take your hundred...

Of course if I "win" it for the 60 dollars you can just ship it to me along with a check for 40 bucks and we will call it even.

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I'd be glad to take that bet ... just be aware, eBay's site gives me the ability to block any bidders I want.

No blocking....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    No blocking....
    Hey! You can't just make up the rules as you go along!

Current bidding progress ... 48 hours in and now standing at $36.00 and 8 watch lists!

Well, we're fast approaching bidding war time (I HOPE)! 4 1/2 hours to go and it's on 9 watch lists, so there's a possibility of a 9-way bidding war right at the end.

'Course the bidding is up to $43.00 so far and who knows, it may have already maxed out. Sure would like to match or beat the Rotary badge to make it a bit more fun.

Well what'cha know? What are the odds? The Sports Car Club badge sold for the same persact price as the Rotary badge ... $52.00

So, I bought them for $2.00 each and sold the pair for $104 ... I'll take that $100 all day long for those dirty old things!

'Course I have to pay eBay fees, PayPal fees, Postage as well as the $4.00 I paid for them.

It still comes out to $90.63 profit. Heck, that paid for a lunch and all the gas we used on the Savannah trip the past few days!