Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck Cover

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

Truck Cover

Got the BakFlip truck cover installed today, and the spray in liner done (before the rain tomorrow).

Here's a pic of it..........and a fuzzy pic of the inside of bed with tailgate open, Bakflip cover closed, and the cargo light on.

WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Cover folds back 3 ways........... first cover folds over towards cab........then that folds over onto the other two, for more bed room for tall items.........then the whole thing folds up against the back window to give full coverage of entire bed. When closed, the locking tailgate makes it practically impossible (for an honest man) to get into it.

I can't fold it yet....it has to sit/set for 2-3 days to let the rubber moldings lie flat....
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Yea, you don't want bumpy rubber....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Damn I love that truck...Nice Bucky....

I like it! I'm think I'm still gonna dance with what brung me and get another Access roll up cover. The last one was in awesome shape after almost 14 years. All I did was replace the velcro doohickeys a year ago. I moved some stufffor my daughter yesterday and used those adjustable tie down deals you can slip into the bedrails. Handy asa pocket on a shirt. First time I've ever had them.
    BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Should have went with an Access.

Me?

Nah. I wanted something hard.......not just a vinyl cover. But I wanted to be able to get to the bed better than a flip up cover (which my buddy has on his). And it HAS to be able to be locked. This solves all my problems.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I've been looking at those bed covers myself.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Keep track of your mileage with it covered. Be interesting to know if it helps a diesel as much as a gas engine. Made about a 2 mpg difference on my old Chevy. I need it to gain mee about five on this new hoopie but it ain't gonna do it.

BKB

Will do. Truck keeps it for me!

I read something online last week about "myths".........and some were pretty obvious.......but one was the myth of dropping tailgate to increase air flow and gas mileage. It said that actually hurt! Now, that's not same as having a full cover......I get that. I hope it helps!!!! Sure seems like it should. But really, I just got it so I could lock stuff up in the back without having a tool box.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I like it! I'm think I'm still gonna dance with what brung me and get another Access roll up cover. The last one was in awesome shape after almost 14 years. All I did was replace the velcro doohickeys a year ago. I moved some stufffor my daughter yesterday and used those adjustable tie down deals you can slip into the bedrails. Handy asa pocket on a shirt. First time I've ever had them.
    BKB
    YEah man, I use the shit out of those things. I'll never have another truck without them.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

People who drive around with their tailgates down are the same assholes that walk around with their zippers open.

BKb

They did a show on the tailgate/gas mileage thingy on Myth Busters once. They busted the myth.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    I had a cover like that on my Chevy 2500HD, it was nice, worked well but was not 100% waterproof. (leaked around all the joints a little)
    I had a soft cover on my 1500 GMC, snaps held it down, 100% water tight but a PITA to open and close with all those snaps.
    My new Ford has none of those problems.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

FORD? You bought a Ford truck?

BKB

That is a very nice setup Bucky.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I have the Retrax and I really like it. http://www.retrax.com/
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    It's built on a truck frame.
    2012 EXPEDITION NEW 6-13.jpg
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

So is Rosie Odonnel's vagina but that don't mean I want one.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Got the BakFlip truck cover installed today, and the spray in liner done (before the rain tomorrow).

Here's a pic of it..........and a fuzzy pic of the inside of bed with tailgate open, Bakflip cover closed, and the cargo light on.

I hope I can be poor like you some day............................................... ....... Nice truck.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Just wondering why nobody went with a full canopy for the truck bed. I've had one on my old truck since I sold the 5'th wheel and love it. Lots of dry storage.

Kind of hard to haul a refrigerator in a truck with a cap.

AND, it looks like OLD people own it!!

There are a ton of these things........canister roll ups, locking, just vinyl covering, all that. Everyone has their needs and favorites. This one is not water PROOF, but it has a drain tube hidden and channels to catch water, to help. I am not going to store sandwiches back there. I THINK I have a locking tool box that will JUST fit. Then I can move it around in the cab as needed, flip back the first cover panel to access it, and keep it locked up otherwise. Going out to mess with it now.

Last time I hauled a fridge I just laid it down and it worked just fine. To each his own, I guess but in this climate a full canopy cover works for me.

You can't lay a fridge down on it's side, boy!! Don'tyouknownuthin'??

You sure can and I sure did and it's been running in my garage for the last 8-9 years without a hiccup. It's my old beer fridge and works better than the new one I have in the kitchen.

You sure it's plugged in? It gets pretty cold up there, you know!

It is and it ain't OK to haul a refrigerator laying down.
    If you haul on laying down the refrigerant oil runs out of the compressor up the lines.
    If you leave it down very long you should WAIT awhile before plugging it in and allow that oil to run back down to the compressor. That oil does not circulate and If it's all up in the lines and you plug it in the compressor will burn up.
    If it's only down for a hour or two you should be OK to plug it up. If longer you should wait a day or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

You got it Cappy! Leave them sit overnight before plugging in and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    Last time I hauled a fridge I just laid it down and it worked just fine. To each his own, I guess but in this climate a full canopy cover works for me.
    How about a motorcycle? Riding lawn mower? Do you lay them down too? Probably just use a trailer ;-)