Thread: Fish stripes.....

Fish stripes.....

Got a little fishing in before the storms, yesterday afternoon....son and grandson wanted to bass fish outta their little boat, so I crappie fished outta my little boat....we were fishing in the same pond....I stocked this little pond with some hybrid crappie, which I had "attained" from a biologist friend about 6 years ago.

The black nose stripe is typical of the hybrid crappie.

stripe.jpg

On the other end of the pond, grandson was having pretty good luck with the bass....the boy hates wearing shoes....even in a boat.

payne's bass.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Nice Bass right there^...fillet knife time...

Dang nice bass right there. Congrats to him. That sure looks like some fishy water! As Hanks son would say, "that's some prime fishing water right there"!
    I worked about all day yesterday starting on a new catch pen area for bringing the cows in to the catch gate. But I did manage about an hour or so of late afternoon fishing.
    Caught about 20 little peckerhead bass, one in the 3-4 pound range and 5 big black crappie.
    I was sorta have fishing and sorta listening for turkey gobbles to see if I could roost one.
    I might go after them again next week after taking several days off... :-)
    Do those hybrid crappie reproduce or are that like the grass carp and cannot spawn?
    Congrats on a good day fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Cap, the biologist crosses the sperm from a male black crappie with the eggs from a female white crappie.... after the eggs are formed, they are stripped from the female, and immersed in liquid nitrogen at minus 960 degrees for 3 seconds....this momentary freezing process destroys one of the eggs chromosomes, rendering the future adult crappie to be sterile.

However, the process is only about 97.5 % accurate....sometimes there are chromosomes that slip thru and survive the freezing process, and that adult crappie can, in fact, spawn and multiply.

However, the number of sterilization failures is so low, that the chances of over-population in a land-locked pond still remain considerably low.

Cap, even the sterile adults go thru their normal spawning process....they just can't reproduce.
    Southern Gentleman

That's pretty cool. Do they get larger that the white or black crappie by being a hybrid?
    Guess I'm just looking for the "reason" to cross them or make the hybrid?????

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Yep, and they grow faster, too, because they don't expend as much energy from a total spawning process.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Yep, and they grow faster, too, because they don't expend as much energy from a total spawning process.
    I have that exact same problem..............
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Yep, Buck, non-spawning will make you fat, real fast !!!

Did somebody freeze one of your chromosomes???
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 04-06-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    Southern Gentleman

No, but it's been close a few times.

I just grow real fast because I don't expend much energy spawning.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

That's pretty cool. I guess that way you don't end up with a bunch of runts when they take the whole place over.

BKB

When I was a bit younger (before I got neutered) ... SHE'D get fat when I spawned!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Nice feesh! Is that the same boy who is the big deerslayer, too?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Nice feesh! Is that the same boy who is the big deerslayer, too?
    Yep, that's him....his only problem is he thinks he needs to fish and hunt ALL the time....hard to get him to do any real work, at ALL....he's gonna fit in real good around here.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 04-07-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Yep, that's him....his only problem is he thinks he needs to fish and hunt ALL the time....hard to get him to do any real work, at ALL....he's gonna fit in real good around here.
    Well Granddad, set him up a nice little trust fund so he can!

Cap, I been donating, one way or the other, ever since both of these grand-young'uns were born....our public school system, down here, is so pathetic, most kids have to go to private schools....either that, or risk getting shot, or not ever learning to read.

It cost about $20,000 per year for the two of them to attend elem. school....and, NO free meals, books, or school uniforms.

I just hope I got a few dollars left to send them to college !!!
    Southern Gentleman

Eddie, I had NO doubt that you were/are/will do more than your part for them grands...
    Just giving you a hard time cause it sounds like at least one of them is gonna be a mini-you.....

You are so right, Cap, about saving for the future for them....I wish I could do more....I just hope they are wise stewards of this old Delta land that they inherit.

BTW, son, grandson, and I will be leaving Thursday, for our Bama turkey hunt....I'll let you know how that turns out.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 04-08-2014 at 09:03 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Yep that is one consideration we had too, all the land. We put it in trust to them so if they decided to sell it all off they could not get all the money and blow it at a young age. They can get so much per year and a final payout at 40 years of age. Hopefully by then they will know how to manage and save.... I HOPE I'm around long enough to see them get to 40 and that restriction will be lifted.
    Of course it is my wishes they never sell the place and keep the farm running. But WHO knows now a days?

Man yea let me know on that turkey hunt! Wish I was there to call for you!
    I'm sorta idle until NC season comes in... :-(

Dang dufes! I'm up for adoption ya' know? Heck, when someone in OUR family dies, we have to take up a collection to put 'em in the ground. It always COSTS me $$$$ ... I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to actually INHERIT sumpin'!

I wonder if our farm has any turkeys on that 80 wooded acres?

Hmmm.

I wonder if they'd come to some corn around my one blind? I wonder if I could hit one? I wonder if that's illegal?

Hmmm.

There is nothing like corn to draw in Turkeys AND game wardens.... Both equally as well.

Throw a little corn around your stand and get in there and call a few times. One or the other will show up shortly.

HA! Now, I can't eat a Game Warden, silly man!!