Buckster, ANYTHING mechanical can break down. In normal production, no two parts are exactly alike. Sure, with the advent of computers and lasers, tolerances are a TON closer than they were a few years ago, but one part can last 50 years while the same part that was next in line during production can fail in a month. That's the law of mechanics.

Car's are complicated these days ... one reason is government intervention and the cost of fuel these days. It takes a LOT of money, engineering and technology to squeeze an extra mpg from today's engines. As for the technology ... heck, I grew up around cars. If a neighbor's car wouldn't start, I could go over and most likely get it running when I was in grade school. By the time I was 12, I could take an engine apart and put it back together. Fixing cars became my career for 20+ years. But ya' know what? If my car stops running these days, I know there's no real reason to even open the hood ... it's time to call a tow truck.

ONE major factor in today's automobiles is a fact you've already mentioned.

I understand that the more stuff you add, the more that can go wrong or be recalled.