Thread: Hey Booger!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

Hey Booger!

Just wondering what your opinion is on the variation between the two toms my son and I shot last weekend.

Also, am interested in doing an Oseola hunt some time, how tough is that and what are the typical dates for the season? PM me if you would rather.

Booger knows his turkeys. That said, he lives in the panhandle and most of the birds are Easterns up there. Ya' generally have ta' come on down a bit farther south to get into the Osceolas. Personally, I've never hunted turkey in Florida and did all my turkey hunting in Ohio. If anyone would know where to put you on an Osceola, Booger would be your man. The problem down here though, is finding public land, but it IS available. A commercial hunt gets a tad pricey.

Thanks for the info Thump. Though I would love to take an Osceola I am not willing to shell out hundreds of dollars just to hunt a turkey. Guess I might just have to be happy with slaying ND-type birds.

Just went through all this with Captain. He and Carty were looking at an Osceola hunt and I gave him some names to call. Public land is the cheapest option but best to apply for quota permits in the best spots. Private land hunts are about $1500.00 per person. Season in south Fl. Starts 1st week of March. I've kilt 80_100 in Fl and not one classified as an Osceola.....

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Bwana.. *everyone* tells me if your really want an Osceola you just as well spend the money. Unless you can find a "friend" with access - you are about screwed. Killing one on on public ground is possible but not probable. Nephew just completed his lifetime slam. He paid $600 just for a trespass fee and this was the cheapest he could find where it actually looked like he might kill a turkey. Even at that there were two other guys hunting the same farm and he was the only one that killed one. The guy said next year he is leasing his property out to a guide.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Though it would be cool to be able to take a turkey slam it is not a bucket list thing for me at this time. I have never been on a guided hunt before and if I ever do go that route I would rather spend the money hunting a critter I don't have access too,rather then a variation of one that I do. Was just thinking that since the wife has been hounding me to go to Florida sometime that I might be able to get in a turkey hunt while we were down there. Maybe I need to change my focus to catching a tarpon or shooting a gator instead.