Thread: No turkey but...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

No turkey but...

... Wow, what an experience!

This morning's hunt was just my daughter & I which in itself was cool but something we saw made it even more so.

We had set out our decoys & were sitting in the blind waiting for Tom Turkey to show up when I noticed what I thought was a turkey vulture skimming the edge of the hills we were set up on. As it got closer I could see it was too big for a vulture, it was a golden eagle and it was headed right for us. We watched as it soared our way only about 10 feet off the ground. It was going to pass between the blind & our decoys which were only 20 yards away. Just as it was even with the first decoy it made an incredibly fast dive and attacked one of the decoys, pulling it off of the stake but dropping it from about 5-6 feet up! It all happened so quickly that we couldn't believe what we had just saw. I can still recall looking into the eagles eye right before he hit the decoy. WAY cool!

Wow! Wow! Wow! That is just super cool. I've watched Bald Eagles catching fish close to me while fishing in Canada ... but something about one hitting your decoys is just over the top. Dang! That would have made a cool video!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    That's way cool, you only get to see something like that by spending time outdoors and not in front of the TV
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

I bet that was a site to see.
    Neither of you will ever forget that I'm sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Wow!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Holy smokes! That's way, way, way cool. What are the odds of something like that happening? Y'all must be livin' right!

My dad had a kind of similar experience while bow hunting back in the '70's.
    He was sitting in his stand, and had dozed off for a minute. When he opened his eyes he was greeted with the sight of a red tailed hawk swooping down on him. Actually, the poor hawk had probably mistaken the red fetchings on Dad's quivered arrows, that were attached to his bow, for a bird. Dad waved his arms, and at the last second the hawk veered off and flew away.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org