Thread: So it begins..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar

So it begins..

Had son here for his turkey season (2nd).. Killed a nice 3+ year old.

clintTurkey2014.jpg

This morning buddy and I doubled at 6:20 on opening morning of 3rd.

100_3504.JPG

Still have two more hunters to call for and I have a 4th season tag. Turkey hunting is the perfect "old man" sport. I wake up at 3:30 a.m. every morning anyway.. just as well go turkey hunting.

I dunno why son's pic is sideways - it ain't in the file. Can you fox it for me oh great white pumphead? thnx..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Howzat?

I dunno why son's pic is sideways - it ain't in the file. Can you fox it for me oh great white pumphead? thnx..
    I couldn't quite figure out how to "fox" it ... but I straightened out the pic for ya'.

NICE birds!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Way to go Gene, it looks like things are definitely going your way.

Up here in ND though, it has been tough as the wind has been an absolute more often then not for the past couple of weeks or at least on the weekends when we can hunt. Guess we are not doing too bad overall as the boys and I have each gotten our birds but I have yet to be able to call one in for my daughter. I REALLY need to do something about that but truth be told, the birds haven't been responding very well. Oh well, always fun when you can be out there hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Howzat?

I couldn't quite figure out how to "fox" it ... but I straightened out the pic for ya'.

NICE birds!
    lol.. yeah - I see I can't spell either. Thank you.

Bwana.. we're way behind here in our normal progression. For one thing, we are cold and dry and the timber is a plumb bare. Man sitting under a tree sticks out like a dog turd on a pool table. Toms are just starting to split up and as soon as they hit the ground they are getting right back together Mostly roosting right with the hens. I have seen a couple hens out by themselves middle of the day so they are thinking about laying. Wind? don't get me started..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Cause it was taken with an iPhone.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

the iPhone uses the orientation flag, which Quicktime recognizes. That's why it works in Quicktime. There are still a lot of applications that don't recognize the orientation flag though, which is why you get the rotation. Those applications usually default to landscape mode in a particular direction, which tends to be landscape with the camera position in the upper left.

The only real options at this point is to either always take photos or videos with the camera in the upper left while holding in landscape, or by setting the orientation explicitly by doing a rotate and resaving the image/video. The other option would be for all programs to utilize the orientation flag, but I'm sure it'll be a while before that happens.

Other than that, those are really awesome pictures!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Man that is some good hunting. Good pictures too!
    Congrats. We are about over in SC and just a couple more weeks in NC. Don't know how much I'll get back out.
    I might just have to enjoy your post for a while... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Nice bird!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Cause it was taken with an iPhone.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

the iPhone uses the orientation flag, which Quicktime recognizes. That's why it works in Quicktime. There are still a lot of applications that don't recognize the orientation flag though, which is why you get the rotation. Those applications usually default to landscape mode in a particular direction, which tends to be landscape with the camera position in the upper left.

The only real options at this point is to either always take photos or videos with the camera in the upper left while holding in landscape, or by setting the orientation explicitly by doing a rotate and resaving the image/video. The other option would be for all programs to utilize the orientation flag, but I'm sure it'll be a while before that happens.

Other than that, those are really awesome pictures!!!
    I see.. Son sent it to me in email.. it's sideways.. save it to my computer.. its right.. embed it here.. its sideways.. try saving it to Flickr; then use url here.. it says "invalid file".. I don't know how you people that have to use these god damned computers for a living don't go screaming off into the sunset.

Oh, I did!!!

And....I'm not dissing iPhones. Smartphones are ALL good (like BBQ). Some do this, some do that........ but I've seen that same complaint on other sites and they looked it up and I just noticed. Some people have this issue, some don't. Sorta like hemmrhoids or ugliness (I'm told)!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    When i was growing up, I hunted and fished all over every field and patch of woods there was around and never saw a single wild turkey that wasn't in a bottle. Then about twenty years ago they started showing up here and there and now the entire southwestern part of the state is lousy with them. They move thru the woods like a vacuum cleaner and heaven help you if those feathered possums find your corn feeder. I liked it better when when they weren't any. I wish Capn' and Gene would come down here and wipe out the whole southern herd...hens and toms alike.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Captain and Gene would like that too!

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

And I have no idea what Buckrub is talking about with the picture problem. I take a picture up or sideways with my iPhone and post it, and it always turns out correctly.

Sitting in my doctors office fixing to have a MRI on my leg and here's a test of pictures.

Upright
    image-2602280960.jpg

Sideways
    image-2865833346.jpg

Both taken with my iPhone seconds apart

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Oh, I did!!! And....I'm not dissing iPhones
    Ah yea you are and do every chance you get. If you were not, you would have just said its a smartphone problem and included all of them.
    Cause they ALL do this but of course you won't post about droids doing it, you just point to iPhones.
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...ientation.html

In fact the fix for Droids seem much harder than iPhone.

No, I don't either. You just take it that way cause you're sensitive about your fruit phone!

I did NOT know that any other phone had that issue or I would have said it. I said what I did because at Crappie.Com and ArkansasHunting.Net, this is a long time complaint of all iPhone users, and no one else. That's where I found out about it (and here). AS I SAID (no one reads what I actually say usually, or remembers it correctly, but ok), all smartphones have some issues. Mine is receipt of MMS Group Messaging (probably my ignorance). I just repeated what I'd heard a lot about iphone pictures. It MAY have to do with iPhone 3, 4, 5, etc, which may explain some of it, but that's a WILD guess on my part. What I posted was an attempt on my part to help Gene out, to understand why his phone does that. And his does it. Mine never has. Yours never has. But his does. Others do. I was trying to help, and most of the time when I try to talk about the TINY TINY UNIVERSE of stuff that I DO know a TINY bit about, it bites me. So....I've learned about arguing, and now I'm learning about helping.

Y'all are the most Item Chauvinistic People I've ever had the wonderful pleasure of meeting! BBQ, Trucks, Cars, Phones, Guns, man............

I got what I got because it's got a screen big enough for my old eyes to see! It does neat stuff, has a stylus that I love, and a good camera. But AS I SAID, all smartphones are amazing.

Well then go back and show me where ANYONE said the picture was taken with a iPhone other than you.....
    See. It ain't there
    YOU threw that into the thread.
    It may have been or it could have been taken with a Droid or a "old fashion" digital camera. YOU said it was taken with an iPhone.
    He said he son took the picture and emailed it to him.

lol.. Actually - it was taken with an Iphone (his). I wouldn't have known but Flickr gives me that info. Not something that is going to be a big factor because I normally have my camera. And besides tha,t Jim can fix it for me. Thanks for your help and all the nice comments. I *love* turkey hunting.. and Cap'n is right White Oak - we'd turn that state bloody.