Thread: Hey P-hole!

Hey P-hole!

Been home for a bit and I've been digging through my estate sale treasures from this weekend. I forgot all about picking up a batch of Griswold Cast Iron.

I found 1 Griswold #8 (large logo) 704-D in great shape ... though it needs to be seasoned.

The others I wasn't totally crazy about, but the fact it was a "set" and cheap as dirt, I couldn't pass them up.

A Griswold #3 (large logo) 709 Duochrome.
    A Griswold #6 (large logo) 699A Duochrome.
    A Griswold #8 (large logo) 704S Duochrome.
    And a Griswold #9 (large logo) 710 Duochrome.

I picked up the whole ball-o-wax (5 pans) for $23.00! I was about to gamble on them being there at half price the next day, but chickened out.

Wow, that duochrome stuff looks awesome. I've never seen that before.

You selling it?

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Each one of those pans is probably worth at least twice what you paid for the set.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Wow, that duochrome stuff looks awesome. I've never seen that before. You selling it?
    Oh yeah ... I figure I'll auction the #8/704 separately as they're bringing some pretty serious cash. I figured I'd offer the Duochrome as a 4-piece set 'cause I'd hate to break it up ... plus I "think" I can fit the whole set in a Medium Flat Rate Priority Mail box. I haven't tried to see if they'll fit yet, but I believe they will.

Yeah CD ... those #8's are bringing some crazy money at times ... like anywhere from $60 - $120! As usual, prices are all over the map, but if I'm patient, I should do pretty well with it. I want to clean it up a bit and season it to make it look all spiffy.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    There's actually a CI Facebook page with over 50k members with tons of info on cleaning, etc. if you need help. Be careful when packing that stuff. It's surprisingly brittle and I see a lot of posts about stuff arriving broken when purchased off the net.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Dang! I never even thought about the USPS BREAKING a cast iron skillet! Well, it;ll be wrapped in bubble wrap anyway. Seems they'd have to run over it with their Jeep to break it .. but I'm sure that's not out of the question.

As much shipping as I've done, I've never had a problem with the USPS ... nothing broken and nothing lost. (knock on wood) 'Course if they knew that I was a friend of Bucky's ... I'm sure that would change.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I have a Griswold "0" Dutch oven.. Cooked a whole quail breast in it once.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.