Thread: He is going out in style.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

He is going out in style.

As I have mentioned before my oldest is graduating high school within a couple of weeks and though I have always been proud of him, he is going out on a high note.

Earlier this week they had an awards presentation that involved a variety of items but one of them was the SkillsUSA team project my son was a part of this year. He truly wanted to participate in the individual event as he did last year to see if he could make it to Nationals in back-to-back years but elected not to participate as the SkillsUSA state contest was the same day as the college he is going to attend was having a luncheon ceremony for the incoming freshmen who had earned the President's Champion Scholarship from the college because of his high school GPA and his ACT score. As the state competition was on the same day as the college ceremony, he could only participate in the team event so the back-to-back state championship wasn't an option. Guess things have a way of turning out though as his team took first and given the original presenter has a prior obligation the week of nationals, it looks like he is headed back to KC for the second year in a row!

Anyway (Sorry but Dad brag moment) in one week's time he accomplished:
    1) Winning the state SkillsUSA team competition for the billboard he did the artwork for.
    2) Got to shake hands with the president of the university he will be attending this fall during the President's Champion Awards luncheon after which he registered for his fall classes. (An announcement was forwarded to and recently appeared in the local newspaper)
    3) Was inducted into the National Honor Society and earned the President's Award for Excellence in Education at a ceremony at the school

Anyway, just had to share and here are a few pictures of the poster board he will be presenting at the SkillsUSA National Competition in June.
    Unknown-1.jpg
    Unknown-2.jpg
    Unknown-3.jpg

Though it doesn't show up portions of the display are raised (not sure if that is the correct term?) to make it a 3D display.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I truly enjoy and cherish reading about your and Big Sky's (and others) kids' and their achievements. Thanks for sharing!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    A big congrat's to your son, it's a great organization and our kids were part of that all the years I was at our school.
    He should do very well in the years to come. Sure grew up from the first time Captain and I met him.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Congrats and way to go

Way to go dad. You and mamma have obviously done a fine job

That. Is. AWESOME! Congrats you you and the Mrs., as well. Kids don't grow up like that for no reason.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

That's some great news Bwana. Does your chest hurt from being all puffed up and stuff?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Good stuff! Where'd he end up deciding to go for college?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    That's good stuff right there, I don't care who you are. WTG all around.

Man that is great news! Congrats to him (and to and your wife)
    It was clear when Jerry and I was out there staying with you, y'all were a great family with exceptional children.
    Congratulations.
    Take Care, Captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Thanks for the kind words all.

CD, he ended up choosing Dakota State University in Madison, SD. Think he would have preferred going to Becker College in Worester (sp?) Mass, but they were VERY expensive plus the logistics for getting there and what to do when they kick you out of the dorms for holiday breaks when you can't afford to fly home was an issue as well.

Ha ha ha! Close ... but no cigar. That's Worcester! And I know Becker VERY well. In fact, once he gets settled in, see if he can ask around and see if I'm still black-listed from that campus!

I was stationed at Ft. Devens, Ma. in early '72 attending "spy school". I met a gal at a little club in Ayer, Ma. called "The Buttercup" and we hit it off immediately. I even remember HER corny pick-up line ... I was sitting at the bar just staring off in the distance and I heard a female voice say, "Penny for you thoughts." Within the hour we were out in the parking lot swapping spit! She drove a new Camaro her daddy gave her when she graduated h/s and I REALLY learned to HATE consoles at that time.

Anyway, turned out she was attending Becker. I had no transportation, so she used to pick me up and we'd go out, then she'd take me back to my barracks. It was a 25-30 mile drive for her. One weekend, she took me to Becker and smuggled me into her dorm room as her roommate had gone home for the weekend. Of course I got busted (I think one of the more prudish gals turned my ass in). Campus Security nabbed me, threatened to "charge" me with trespassing on campus owned property, blah, blah, blah ... but ended up slapping me on the wrist and told me I was "black-listed" and not allowed back on the property under ANY circumstances!

Dang! I'd just turned 20 years old and it seems like just yesterday.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Sounds like a great choice Bwana! Far enough to be away, but not too far for when he gets the freshman blues and needs a little home cooking and clean laundry.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Worcester and they pronounce it 'wooster'. Go figure a bunch of Boston Yankees.

John, you have to be busting the buttons onyour shirt. Congrats to you and your wife and most of all, congrats to the young man for the payoff from all of his hard work.

Y'all celebrate!

BKB

Woose-TAH, dufes.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    And I know Becker VERY well. In fact, once he gets settled in, see if he can ask around and see if I'm still black-listed from that campus![
    Your reading comprehension is about the same level as Buckys.
    He said his son was going to a college in SD NOT Becker...

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Your reading comprehension is about the same level as Buckys.
    He said his son was going to a college in SD NOT Becker...
    Ha ha ha! Dang! Ya' think Bucky's disease is contagious?

I just caught that when I saw CD mention he's not too far away to come home if he gets homesick! I thought, "WTF"?? ... and re-read the post. I think I got all disconbobulated when I saw Becker mentioned and the old memories started flooding in.

Your excused... This time, you got more pressing matters right now.
    Doubt I could pay much attention to anything if it were me. :-)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Congrats all around!
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Administrator
    Congrats, Bwana! My oldest is still 2 years away..
    --Foo

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    while we're sharing these proud daddy moments, my youngest just finished his 4th year of college, he's going for a masters in engineering, with a 4.0. This includes 3 years of chemistry, 2 years of calculus, and three years of physics, including a semester of nuclear physics. May not be as impressive as it sounds, I never went to college.

His brothers aren't too far behind, my oldest has a masters in computer business and my middle son is a nurse at the VA in little rock and he's going back to get his masters.

If they didn't look like me, I'd think it was a mix up at the hospital

sorry, didn't mean to gloat
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

That is great qa! Obviously you have some super smart kids. I assume they take after their mother?

Just another note: took part of yesterday afternoon off to attend what we thought would be my son's last track meet but the darned kid threw his personal best in discuss so now he is participating in regional track meet this coming Saturday. He made it to the finals for both shot and discuss so he had a pretty good day in spite of the cool weather and the nasty winds. I was SO happy I was able to be there.