Thread: Baseball bragging rights....

Baseball bragging rights....

Disclaimer: Do not read, if you don't like youth baseball!!!

Our entire weekend, Fri. thru Sun., revolved around grandson's big regional tournament in Memphis....13 teams were from Tenn., Ark., MS, and Mizzou....had to play 6 games in 36 hours.

Earlier in the spring, grandson was asked to play on a AAA team from north MS....this is the "big time" league, down here.

We managed to win thru the opening rounds, with only one 2-0 loss to the #1 team from Tenn., and made it to the semi-final game.

I'll make this short:

Semi-final game....we go home, if we lose....we're down 2-1, final inning, two outs, runner on first....grandson up to bat....12 year old pitcher from #2 Arkansas team is bigger than me, and has a day'um goatee, and throwing smoke....pitch count is 2-2.

Grandson isn't fazed or intimidated, at all....gets a nasty breaking pitch, which he promptly sent over the left field fence....we win it 3-2, and go to the championship game, against that #1 Tenn. team who had already beaten us 2-0 earlier.....grandson gets the game ball.

Fast forward to championship game, two hours later, against that #1 Tenn. team....again, we're down 2-1, they got bases loaded, no outs, and our pitcher is getting banged up, pretty bad....coach sends grandson to the mound....I'm sweating bullets....he strikes out the side!!!

We're visiting team, and have one at-bat left....still down 2-1 and two outs....our next hitter gets a walk....grandson gets up next, and hits a triple off the right-center wall....next batter strikes out, stranding grandson at third....game is tied, and goes to extra innings.

The heat (about 90 degrees, yesterday) starts getting to the Tenn. pitcher, and we get bases loaded with two outs....our best team hitter, who struck out nearly every at-bat, all day long, is up next....finally, he hits a screamer to the left wall, and we go up 4-2.

We hold them to no runs in their last at-bat, and we won the whole day'um thing!!!

Not bad for our little MS team....my vocal cords are shredded.

Here's my "golden boy", and the light of my life....sorta small for his age, but strong and tough as an anvil !!!

goldenboy.jpg
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 05-12-2014 at 10:38 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I remember those days as a father and coach. I can't tell you how much it hurts to miss this stuff with my grandkids now. Congrats, and a fine boy. You have every right to be very proud.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

That's more exciting than any dang professional sports in this country! Congrats you must be proud!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Well, heck, I may as well show you his pic with granny, too.

goldenboyandgranny.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    That's good stuff, BM. My younger son's 4th grade team just made the leap to AAA and is tearing it up this spring. They've got three kids who can really pitch and no other team we've faced can come close. (BTW, you out kicked your coverage when you tricked that poor woman into marrying you...)
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

That poor lady. It's apparent she and Stevie Wonder share a couple of the same traits. They wear the same sunglasses and they're both blind!

Yep, she's a good 'un, for sure....if only she had little Stevie's bank account.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    That is just too cool!

Thanks, Bwana.

National Rankings were posted, just this morning....we are now ranked 18th in the Nation....un-freaking-believable. !!!
    Southern Gentleman

congrats, Pa Pa and that's an awesome picture of you and granny and the young star.

BKB

Man oh man!!! I know y'all are proud of that lad....and have EVERY right to be.

What an incredible Cinderella story! This unknown, comes out of nowhere, to lead the pack........
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Thanks, Bwana.

National Rankings were posted, just this morning....we are now ranked 18th in the Nation....un-freaking-believable. !!!

Oops....my bad....I just got scolded for this mistake....make that 8th in the Nation....sorry for the typo.

And, thanks, everyone....this young'un makes me feel like a kid, again !!!
    Southern Gentleman