1 Tbs minced garlic
1 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
1/2 cup port wine
1 tsp ground mace
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp herbes de Provence
1 Tbs coarse salt
6 feet hog casings

Grind together all ingredients except casings. Cook a little at a time in a skillet, adusting seasonings to taste as you go. Stuff into casings. Tie off every 3 inches or so. Refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temp before grilling. To grill: Prick sausages all over with a fork. Grill about 4 minutes per side over hot coals.

Duck Marsala
Chesapeake (Maryland)

1 whole duck breast (remove bones, leave skin on)
butter
flour
1/2 cup Marsala wine
4-5 large mushrooms
salt and pepper

1. Tenderize duck and lightly coat with flour, sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute in butter over medium(low) heat for 15 minutes (or so) turning occassionally to prevent burning. Slice breast open to see when it is done.
2. Slice mushrooms and saute in butter (seperate pan)
3. when duck is done, remove to warm plate and place in warm oven
4. Drain excess grease from the pan you cook the duck in. Add a slice or two of butter and over medium heat add mushrooms and Marsala wine. Sprinkle a little flour into pan to thicken (you may have to do this 2 or 3 times to reach desired consistency)
5. When sauce is near desired consistency, add duck to pan and spoon sauce over or flip breasts to coat.

Remove from pan and serve.
I'm still single so this only serves one.

Duck Jerky
Cliff Claven (Pennsylvania)

If you hunt waterfowl you should try this. I believe waterfowl makes better jerky than venison or beef...it has a really good flavor.

Cut up duck and/or geese into thin strips. Cut on the lengthwise grain. Marinate in the following (don't skimp):

Barbecue sauce
Liquid smoke
Crushed ground peppers (I used a mixture of jalapenos, chili, and cayenne peppers)
Jamaican jerk seasoning
A few drops of Dave's Insanity or other extra-hot sauce
A few drops of Worcestershire sauce.

Marinate overnight, then dehydrate for 9-10 hours.

Duck Burritos
Ralph Nestor (Wisconsin & Alaska)

Ingredients:
1 lb. Duck Breasts
1 cup Diced Onion
1/2 Green Pepper
2 med. Tomatoes
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Jalepeno Pepper
1 tsp. Cilantro
1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
8 oz. Cream Cheese
8-10 Flour Tortillas
2 cups Salsa (Medium Hot)
Heavy Cream as needed
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Saute breasts till tender. Cool. Shred meat.
2. Saute onions, peppers and garlic in oleo or butter till tender. Add tomatoes and jalepenos. Cook 3-5 minutes. Add duck meat.
3. Season with salt and pepper, cilantro and cayenne. Blend in cream cheese and enough heavy cream to make mixture moist, but not sloppy.
4. Place 1/3-1/2 cup of duck mix in each tortilla and roll.
5. Bake 30 minutes in 350 degree oven. Pour salsa over burritos for the last 5 minutes. Serve.

These will make a rabbit slap a bear. I used to make about 100 for our annual Game Feed.

Baked Wild Duck
FTE (Massachusetts)

Remove feathers. Dress as any poultry. Wipe inside and out with damp paper towel. If duck is old, parboil 15 minutes. Rub outer and inner surfaces with salt and pepper. Truss. Cover the breast with strips of bacon (or like grandma did with thin strips of salt pork). Place in baking pan and cover. Add 1/2 cup boiling water. Bake in 450 degree oven about 45 minutes until tender. Baste often. Serve with garnish of tart jelly (green grape, currant, or gooseberry are good). Bird can be stuffed with favorite dressing prior to baking, but cooking time will have to be adjusted for that.

FISH

Poached Walleye
johnboy (Alberta, Canada)

I use this recipe for walleye and it should work equally well for any white fleshed fish. I modify it a bit for lake trout, as I'll explain.

This is probably my favourite (sic - Canuck spelling. Food editor is not responsible for this -ed) way to cook eyes, 'cept for the old
"batter and fry" (I make a great beer batter). Anyway, here it is:

Catch a mess of nice walleyes (Contact johnboy or TeeDub for instructions on this part -ed) - fillet them and chill.

Add to a suitable sized poaching pot (I use a large skillet with a lid):

1/2 cup DRY vermouth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup water
Grind of black pepper
Small pinch salt
Couple thin lemon slices
Bay leaf or two
Few sprigs of parsley

Bring to a LOW/SLOW simmer (do NOT boil hard) and add the fillets.

Partly cover and cook slowly just till the meat is white all the way through.

Time will depend on the thickness of the fillets so I try to cut them all the same, but it shouldn't take more than 5-7 minutes. Just keep checking.

Serve with a butter-lemon sauce and you are in heaven!

For a stronger tasting fish like trout or salmon, double the vermouth and leave out the wine. The above quantities are good for about 2 pounds of fillets. Double up for more but don't crowd the pot.

Good eats!

Truite Au Bleu (Blue Trout)
Jean B (Montreal)

This is a delicious way to cook trout and an attractive dish because the trout really does turn blue. Do not even try this recipe unless you start with live trout and do not wash the trout because its natural coating must be present to make this recipe work.

Ingredients:
4-5 medium live trout
12 cups water
3 cups white vinegar (white wine vinegar is best)
2 bay leaves
1 carrot - chopped
1 stalk celery - chopped
1 onion - quartered
2 whole cloves
1 tsp. salt
10 black peppercorns
10-12 coriander seeds
4-5 fresh parsley stems

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients except trout in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.

Kill and clean trout, but do not wash exterior.

Drop trout into the pot of liquid, increase heat, and bring to a boil.

Remove pot from heat and cover. Let stand at least 5 minutes, but no longer than 10 minutes.

Place fish on serving plate, garnished with parsley sprigs.

Serve with boiled new potatoes and hollandaise sauce on the side.

Bonne bouche!

Door County Wisconsin Fish Boil
Karl & Rita Hosier (California, but formerly Michigan)

Note: The Hosiers tell me they found this recipe in a newspaper many years ago. They served it with great success at fund-raisers for their local Moose Club when they lived in Michigan.

Ingredients:

8 qts water
3-4 bay leaves
24-36 small red potatoes
2 cups canning salt
12 small white boiling onions (not pearl onions), peeled, but not cut
12 firm fish fillets cut into 1/2" cubes (about 80 oz. of fish)
Melted butter

Directions:

Get a large pot with a strainer and and a powerful burner for boiling a large amount of water fast. Lead furnace burner is recommended.

Add water and bay leaves.

Add at least 1/4 cup of salt (canning) per gallon of water. (some people say add enough salt to float an egg).

Cut a small slice from the bottom of each potato to enhance the absorption of flavors.

Get the water boiling.

Add the potatoes when water boils again - time six minutes (1 beer).

After the six minutes add the onions when water boils again - time six minutes (1 beer).

After the second six minutes add the fish when water boils again - time for twelve minutes (two beers).

If the fish is in a separate basket from the potatoes and onions, it makes it much easier to serve. It definitely does not change the flavor.

Serve on plate and add melted butter over entire serving.

Goes well with homemade cole slaw.

Must be done outdoors.

Goodhunters Catfish Recipes:
A Mess of Catfish Recipes

Gator (Florida)

Personally, I like squealers. The little 6-8 inch fish you cook whole. However, this recipe will work for any fish.
Fillet your fish and cut into fingers across the fillet. About 1/2 inch wide. On large fish that might have a bit of a strong flavor, soak in milk overnight. Otherwise just soak in the milk while you get the rest of the ingredients prepared.
Now, make a mixture of 1/2 all purpose flour and 1/2 Italian bread crumbs. Into this add garlic, cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, Lowery's season salt and anything else you like. To taste this mixture, wet your finger and dip it in the mixture and taste. This will be the flavor on the fish. Deep fry the coated fingers until golden brown and floating.
Be careful with your temperature as the bread crumbs burn rather easily. Fish is fully cooked when it floats in the grease so don't over cook. Enjoy.

Bert (Texas)

Catfish isn't supposed to be cooked anyway but fried! That fancy stuff is for fish that have flavor. I believe if you can taste the fishy flavor in a cat it isn't worth eating.
Clean the cat, either filet it or skin it and cut into chunks if it is a big one or strips if it is small. Dip in milk, then in a mixture of cornmeal, salt, pepper and Tony's. Fry to golden brown and eat with ketchup and tabasco sauce or tartar sauce.
That is the only way to eat good catfish I know of.

Herb (Oklahoma)

As far as I am concerned, all catfish should be filleted, but if it is a big one, I'll also cut it into chunks, to prevent one part of the fillet being overcooked before the thicker part is ready. I pretty much agree with with Bert on the dredging material too, but I use red (cayenne) pepper rather than Tony's (I don't know what Tony's is, so maybe we're closer than I think).
You should never serve catfish without hushpuppies. It's like wearing white after Labor Day; it shows your ignorance of civilized conventions.
If you REALLY want to impress someone, also include fried pineapple. This woill make or break a fish fry. I WOULD provide that recipe, but if I told you, I'd have to kill you, and besides, I don't have it, either.

Buckrub (Arkansas)

Catfish is to be cooked OUTSIDE! STEAK it please...bone in. Horseshoe shaped steaks. Deep grease, and a fish cooker. Cabela's has a reasonable facsimile, but any good southern welder has nine of 'em for sale at any one time. If you are POOR fill with lard or Crisco. If not, use Canola or Peanut oil. Fill it to where a full kettle of fish will float when done.
Get a paper grocery sack. YES THEY STILL MAKE THEM. Pour in yellow corn meal, pepper, Greek seasoning, and salt if you HAVE to, and put Wet fish steaks in bag and shake like you are doing the disco. Coat them puppies like crazy.
Drop in hot grease, use a candy thermometor if possible at 450 degrees, not TOO hot. If grease smokes a LOT, turn it down. When fish float, dip out of grease and put in clean paper grocery sack, set aside.
Ginzu up a pile of taters and drop them puppies in there. Take out when brown. Real hard here. Put in a separate grocery sack.
Take some WOP biscuits (storebought can, wop on side of counter), cut in fourths, drop each into grease. When they brown on bottom, turn. When golden brown, take out.
Then put in homemade hush puppies and take out when brown.
All this stuff goes in a separate grocery sack. Put the grocery sacks on the table, tops folded down.
Ketchup. Lots of it.
Cold beer, or cokes.
Eat. Burp. Eat more. Pass out.
There is NO other acceptable method. None.
This isn't negotiable. It's one of those Fundamental Natural Law thingy's.

Smoked Salmon/Trout/Steelhead
Rolly Jurgens (Idaho)

1. Filet the fish when fresh, leaving the skin on the filets. Remove the ribs from each filet.

2. Separate the filets and freeze if necessary in order to preserve the fish until a more convenient time for smoking.

3. When ready to smoke, thaw the fish and wipe it dry to remove any slime or other moisture.

4. Cut the fish in chunks (2 to 3 inches square) convenient for eating.

5. Place the fish in a pan, skin side down and sprinkle liberally with 1/3 part pickling salt and 2/3 parts brown sugar. This will remove excess moisture from the fish and begin flavoring the flesh. This takes about 1 cup of mixture per side of fish for a 10-15 lb fish. (Don't use too much salt or fish will be salty.)

6. Put the pan containing the fish, salt and brown sugar in the fridge over night to cure.

7. In the morning, remove the fish from the pan and pat dry. Remove any un-dissolved salt or sugar from the top of the fish. Discard the residue in the pan.

8. Mix 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/8 cup mapleine to form sauce and spread liberally over fish.

9. Allow the fish to reach room temperature and glaze over from the sauce mixture. (about 1 hour total)

10. Spray the smoker with "PAM" to prevent sticking. Place the fish in the smoker skin side down and do not turn over.

11. Smoke for about 8-10 hours or until done.

12. After smoking, place the fish in a pan in the fridge covered with plastic wrap. The fish should be placed on edge to drain any remaining moisture and to soak up residual smoke flavor. Leave the fish this way for 2-days after which time the plastic wrap should be removed and the fish sit in the fridge for 2 more days to dry further.

13. Freeze any unneeded smoked fish.

Note: If a garlic cure is desired instead of a sugar cure, sprinkle garlic powder over the fish and omit the sugar and mapleine process (in steps 5 thru 8).

Spicy Grilled Salmon
Dennis Locke (California)

If you are lucky enough to yank in a hefty salmon, this recipe will do your catch proud.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup Butter at room temperature
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 Tbs parsley, finely chopped
4 Salmon steaks
2 Tbs Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Whip butter until creamy (electric mixer works well for this), gradually add lemon juice and beat until fluffy. Blend in mustard, cayenne, and parsley.

Rinse salmon steaks and pat dry with paper towels. Brush both sides of each steak with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Place steaks on a well-greased grill and cook over a hot fire (solid bed of hot coals or all burners on for gas grill users).

Cook 5 minutes and then turn steaks over. Cook 3 to 5 more minutes. Steaks are done when fish flakes when prodded in the thickest part.

Transfer steaks to a warm platter and top with butter mixture.

Yummmmmy!

Grilled Halibut with Mediterranean Salsa
Helen (California)

After our Alaska fishing trip, we had lots of halibut in the freezer. I ran across this recipe when I was looking for something different to do with the halibut. It was an immediate hit at our house.

Even if you don't normally like capers, don't leave them out. They provide most of the spice in this recipe.

4 Halibut Steaks
1 1/2 C chopped tomatoes
1/4 C crumbled feta cheese
1/4 C chopped green onions
1/4 C chopped black olives
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T capers
1/4 tsp dried thyme
fresh ground pepper to taste

Place halibut on well-oiled grill over hot coals.

Grill 10 minutes per inch of thickness or until fish just flakes when prodded with a fork.

Turn once or twice during grilling.

Combine remaining ingredients to make salsa.

Mix well. Serve over halibut.

Rick Steil's Perch Recipe
(spare on words, but not on taste)
Rick Steil

Dip perch in a wash of egg and beer.

Then in a coating of drakes. Drakes is like a flour but far better. You can use it dry or add beer for deep fring.

Put perch in a hot pan with real butter.

This is the best part - add 4 or 6 drops of almond extract.

Add some french fries and you got a meal fit for a queen!

Try this and enjoy!!

UPLAND BIRDS

Squab N Jack
JustFowl (Michigan)

6 squab
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup Jack Daniels - might need more if the chef sips as he cooks
1 cup honey
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
freshly ground pepper

Remove head, feet and wing tips from squab. Cut down back and remove backbone. Fillet out breastbone, cartilage and ribs.

Put squab in shallow, nonmetallic dish and add remaining ingredients. Cover and marinate in fridge overnight. Don't marinate longer than that or the ginger makes the meat nasty.

Grill skin side up for about 4 minutes. Turn over and grill about 3 more minutes. Meat should be pink. Don't overcook or it will dry out.

Scotched Pheasant
Cliff Claven (Pennsylvania)

Ingredients:
1 pheasant
1 tablespoon Grey Poupon or other not-bright-yellow mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon rosemary
1/4 cup scotch (wine will do if you don't have scotch)
1/4 cup chicken broth

Directions:
Fillet the pheasant breast and cut off the legs (skinned).

Cover all four pieces in the mustard and brown them in olive oil in a pan.

Sprinkle the meat with the rosemary and add the scotch and the chicken broth.

Bring the liquid to a boil, then lower the heat and cover. Simmer for 7 to 8 minutes, then uncover. The breast pieces should be done. Remove them and let the legs cook until the sauce thickens.

Serves 2.

Good with rice. You can have this done in 15 minutes and it tastes like a gourmet meal.

Pheasant Teriyaki
TD Tran (California)

Editor's note: I had to call in some chits to pry this recipe out of Thac. He's a nice guy, but secretive about his cooking. He worked for me as a programmer a few years ago and I heard his hunting buddies raving about the pheasant he cooked up after their weekend hunt. I picked up the phone a few days ago and reminded him of all the favors he owed me. He reluctantly gave me this recipe. Anyway, the teriyaki flavoring in this recipe is different from what we normally consider teriyaki.

1 pheasant, dressed
3/4 Cup sake
1/4 Cup rice wine vinegar
1 Tbs white sugar
2 Tbs finely chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Wash pheasant and pat dry. Cut along one side of the backbone. Open the bird up and press down on breast to flatten. Prick breast in several places with the point of a small knife or skewer. Place bird in a shallow baking dish. In a bowl, mix together sake, vinegar, ginger, and sugar. Pour mixture over pheasant. cover and put in the fridge to marinate overnight, turning several times.

Set BBQ grill up for indirect grilling, lightly grease grill, and place bird on it breast down. Cover BBQ and try to keep heat even. Turn the bird every 10 minutes or so, slathering with marinade each time. Should be done in about 30 minutes when breast meat is mostly white (will be pink near breastbone). Just before serving, brush with sesame oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cut into pieces.

Braised Chukar
Gene (California)

2 chukar, dressed
1 mild onion, thinly sliced
5 bay leaves
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
3/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled
6 whole cloves
12 black peppercorns

Rinse chukar thoroughly and pat dry. Fill cavities with about 1/2 the sliced onion and 2 of the bay leaves. Tie legs together. Rub all over with 2 tablespoons of the cider vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Place in casserole. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Cover and place in 325 degree oven until birds are very tender (1 1/2 to 2 hrs). After removing from oven, let birds stand in cooking liquid until cooled. Remove bay leaves. Serve birds at room temperature with cooking liquid spooned over each.

Wild Turkey in Bag
FTE (Massachusetts)

You'll love this! It comes out so juicy.

Preheat oven to 325. Rinse and pat dry, dressed wild turkey. Rub with salt and pepper. Stuff with favorite dressing or fill body cavity with large chunks of celery and a quartered onion. Tie legs together and put into large roasting bag. Place in roasting pan and stick in the oven.

Cook about 10 minutes per pound if unstuffed or 12 minutes per pound if stuffed. Pierce skin on thigh with a fork. If juices run just slightly pink, it's done. If not, cook a little longer and test again. Let it stand, still in the bag about 15-20 minutes after you take it out of the oven.

For gravy, pour juices out of the bag into a saucepan. Thicken with flour or cornstarch paste, whisking constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste

Champagned Fowl
Herb (Oklahoma)

Note: When I was actually using this recipe regularly, it had to fulfill several criteria. It had to be relatively fool-proof, simple (read quick) and elegant. This one fill the bill. Although I have never used grouse or pheasant, I have used quail (for my family). Remember to adjust the cooking time for the sizes of the pieces of meat you're using.

Ingredients:
Chicken Breasts (two half breasts per person; three grouse or pheasant should serve two)
Flour 1/4 cup
salt 1 teaspoon
pepper 1/2 teaspoon
butter 1/2 cup
mushrooms 1/2 pound, sliced
cream 1 cup
French Champagne 1/4 cup

Chicken Breasts or other Fowl:
1. Remove skin and bone from meat.
2. Place breasts between two sheets of waxed paper and pound with a heavy cleaver until slightly flattened (use blunt edge or side of blade to flatten meat).
3. Mix 1/4 cup flour with salt and pepper to taste (see above list for recommendations). Roll meat in this mixture. Pat to shake off excess flour.
4. Heat 1/2 cup butter in large skillet Cook chicken breast in the hot butter over low heat until lightly browned on both sides.
5. Add 1/2 pounds of sliced mushrooms, cover and cook for 10 minutes (if you are using quail or other small pieces of meat, be sure not to over cook). Drain off excess butter.
6. Add 1 cup of cream and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
7. Remove breasts to a warm serving platter.

Sauce:
Add to liquid in skillet 1/4 cup of champagne. Bring to a rapid boil and cook until sauce is reduced to a creamy consistency. If sauce gets too thick, add milk. Spoon sauce over the chicken breasts. Serve with steamed asparagus. Garnish with four large mushroom caps sauteed in butter.

Hints:
Use fresh fowl; frozen meat doesn't work as well. Be sure that you have cream: not half and half, not milk and especially not non-dairy substitute (I picked up the wrong carton one time and absolutely ruined dinner)

Bwana's Bodacious Bird
Bwana (North Dakota)

I used this recipe with wild turkey but it would work equally well on tame turkey or chicken too.

Mix together the following ingredients in the proportions that suit your taste. Feel free to add and/or delete to this list.
- All purpose flour (1 or 2 cups)
- Generous amount of Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- Pinch or two of black pepper
- Dash or two of Cajun Seasoning
- Several shakes of garlic powder
- A smidgeon of onion salt

Cut the turkey meat up into thin, chicken finger-sized strips, dip into a bowl of milk, and roll into the spice/flour mixture.

Now place the breaded strips into the basket and deep fry until meat is completely cooked.

The strips can be eaten plain or dunked into the sauce of your choosing. Ex: Dorothy Lynch Salad Dressing, BBQ sauce, Sweet & Sour Sauce, Honey, etc.

Good Eating!

Broiled Quail
Beulah (Ohio)

Dress quail and wash thoroughly. Wipe down with a damp cloth.

Wrap strips of bacon around quail.

Broil under hot flame 8-10 minutes. Remove bacon.

Serve quail on toast with a sauce made of melted butter, lemon juice and chopped parsley.

BIG GAME

Big Boy's Easy Venison Pot Roast
Big Boy (Maryland)

Ingredients

3lb Roast (bigger roast may need another can of soup)
Small red potatoes
Carrots
Mushrooms
2 cans Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup (condensed)

Brown the roast in a large fry pan.

Put one can of soup in the pot (Dutch oven or crock pot) put the roast in the pot.

Put in all vegetables except mushrooms then add the other can of soup on top.

Cover then turn crock pot on low or put Dutch oven in oven at 250 degrees.

Let cook for 6 hours.

Add mushrooms let cook for 2 more hours.

You can add the mushrooms at the beginning but they get VERY done.

I usually make it this way and leave for work to have hot dinner when I get home.

Venison Rolls
Sandy (Australia)

6 thin slices venison steak
3 rashers bacon
4 oz. venison scraps or minced beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon oil
4 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon (1/2 oz.) plain flour
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup beef stock
1 tablespoon tart flavoured jelly (jelly not jam!!)

Beat venison steak with a cleaver until 1/4 inch thick. Remove rind from bacon and cut each rasher in half.

Prepare the filling by mincing scraps of venison or minced beef. Fry onion until soft and golden . Add mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add to the meat and stir in the breadcrumbs.

Season lightly.

Spread a little stuffing on each piece of venison and roll up. Wrap in the bacon strip and secure with either cocktail sticks or string. Place side by side in a heavy based casserole and brown rolls over heat. Turn once and brown the other side.

Sprinkle flour over meat and add wine and stock, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then lower the heat and cover.

Simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Lift out rolls and remove cocktail sticks or string. Keep rolls hot. Stir in jelly and pour over venison rolls. Serve hot with rice (if you like!!)

YUM!!

Venison Kebobs
Gene (California)

1 1/2 lbs venison fillets or steaks
1 cup dry white wine
3 Tbs olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, thinly sliced
Parsely sprigs
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Cut venison into 1 inch cubes.

Place in non-metallic bowl.

Combine rest of ingredients and and pour over vension.

Marinate in refrigerator 1-2 days.

Remove cubes from marinade and stick on skewers.

Alternate with chunks of fresh vegetables, mushroom caps, or pineapple if desired.

Grill over hot coals about 10-minutes, turning frequently.

Smoked Venison Polish Sausage
Ralph Nestor (Alaska & Wisconsin)

6 lbs Venison - Lean cubes
4 lbs Pork butt - cubes
1 qt Water - Ice cold
6 Tbsp Soy protein concentrate
2 tsp Prague Powder #1
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
3 Tbsp canning salt
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 1/2 tsp marjoram

Be sure that all meat is clean and free of blood clots, bone, hair, etc.

Use a 1/4 (or 3/16) plate on meat grinder and grind meat together.

Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Stuff into 35-38 mm (medium) hog casings.

Put sausage in smoker at 120 degrees F and dry 45 minutes.

Gradually increase heat to 160-170 degrees and smoke sausage until it has an internal temp of 152 degrees.

Slowly cool to room temp.

Chill and hold in fridge 6-8 days or wrap well and freeze.

Shooter Sandwich
Dennis (British Columbia)

You Need:
Thick venison steak (moose elk doesn't matter) a thick cut 2 inches
1 loaf unsliced bread
Couple of big handfuls of mushrooms
Pepper and garlic salt and any other spice you like in a steak sandwich

Cut one end off the end of the loaf and take out only enough bread to leave room for steak and mushrooms.

Quickly brown steak keeping it a bit on the rare side and partly fry mushrooms season both as you like then put them in the loaf of bread and put the end back on the bread.

Wrap it all in foil and place a large cutting board or plank on top of bread and weigh it down.

Leave it for about 6 hours and cut off slice as you need.

Goes great with a good beer and some sharp cheese.

Saskatchewan Loaf
Dennis (British Columbia)

My grandmother used this recipe for years. We always referred to it as the Saskatchewan Loaf but I'm not sure where it came from, I think she brought it from England.

Amounts depend on size of bowl I usually do it in a 8 inch.

Bacon not too lean
1 1/2 to 2 lbs moose or venison, elk etc.( lean )
Your favorite dressing but I like the plain sage dressing.
Use 1/4 teaspoon of mace to season the dressing. ( Dressing should be a little on spicy side)

Line the whole inside of the bowl with with bacon.

Take the moose and thinly slice.

Put a layer of moose on the bottom then cover with dressing.

Continue until the bowl is slightly over full.

Across the top lay 3 or 4 slices of bacon and press down well to compress.

Bake on a pan so it doesn't drip over at 350 for an hour.

Put a clean cutting board over it with some weight and let it go cold.

Dump it out of the bowl and it should stay in a loaf.

Slice, good with fresh bread and cheese etc.

Rita's Venison Salami
Helen (California)

When Sis and her hubby lived on a farm in southern Michigan, making this salami was an annual ritual and she'd always send some along to me. Nowadays though, she and I occasionally get a donation from one of the relatives back there, but it just isn't as good as the stuff Sis made.

4 lb ground venison
1 lb hot pork sausage
5 Tbs Morton's Tender-Quick Salt
3 tsp pepper
3 tsp garlic salt or powder
3 tsp mustard seed
3 tsp liquid Hickory Smoke
1 tsp hot pepper flakes

Mix all ingredients.

Knead for 4 minutes every day for 3 days.

On the fourth day, make into strips and put on broiler pan.

Bake at 175 degrees for 8 hours.

Ralph's Very Good Jerky
Ralph Nestor (Alaska & Wisconsin)

8-10 lbs Meat (Moose, Deer, Bear, or Caribou)
1 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbs A-1 Sauce
2 Tbs Cajun Seasoning
2 Tbs Seasoned Salt
2 Tbs Garlic Powder
2 Tbs Granulated Onion
2 Tbs Black Pepper
1 Tbs Liquid Smoke

Cut Meat with (not across) the grain and not paper thing. Mix all seasonings. Add meat to marinade. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours. Mix occasionally. Place meat on racks of dehydrator (not touching) and dry for 10-12 hours. Meat should crack when done, but should not crumble. Leftover marinade can be saved and reused. You can also use a 275 degree oven, but the dehydrator works best.

This recipe can also be used for BBQ game meat. Just put it on the barbie after marinating -- super!

Ralph's BBQ Rubs & Sauces
Ralph Nestor (Wisconsin)

Dry Rub

1/4 Cup Paprika
2 Tbsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Onion Powder
2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp. Black Pepper
1 Tbsp. White Pepper
2 Tbsp. Cayenne

Mix all ingredients and rub liberally on meat before cooking.

Smoking Willie's BBQ Baster

3 Qts. Water
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 Cup White Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Dehydrated Onion
2 Tbsp. Paprika
1 Tbsp. Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1 Tbsp. Garlic Salt

Mix all ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer until reduced to 1/2. Use for basting on brisket, ribs, chicken, etc.

Ralph's Very Good BBQ Sauce

1 Qt. Ketchup
1 Qt. White Vinegar
1 Qt. Water
1 Cup Dehydrated Onion
6 Tbsp. Black Pepper
6 Tbsp. Chili Powder
6 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
3 Tbsp. Salt
2 Tbsp. Worchestershire Sauce
2 Tsp. Liquid Smoke

Bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Best if made the day before it is to be used. Can be canned (jarred) and held indefinitely.

Rack & Ruin - Hunter's Stroganoff
Alex Porter (Georgia)

Serves 8

Total time cooking 12 hours

3 pounds venison cut into one inch cubes (roast or tenderloin); the cubes will shrink a lot. Remove all fat and silverskin
3 onions, chopped or diced
œ pound sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons tomato paste
red wine
Worcestershire Sauce
2 bay leaves
steak seasoning (i.e. Mrs. Dash; McCormick's, etc.)
flour as needed
3 envelopes powdered McCormick's Hunter's Gravy Mix

1. Three days before serving, prepare venison marinade: In large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add 1 whole chopped/diced onion and garlic; sauté until onion is translucent.

2. Place venison in large shallow dish and douse with generous portion (6 ounces) of Worcestershire Sauce. Add sautéed onion and garlic. Add enough wine to cover venison. Add steak seasoning to taste. Cover and refrigerate until youare ready to cook venison. Three hours before cooking, take marinating venison out or refrigerator and keep at room temperature until ready to cook

3. On day of serving, put one chopped/diced onion on bottom of large crockpot. Add 1/4 pound sliced mushroom. Saving the marinade stock, drain venison cubes and pat dry with paper towel. Brown venison cubes over medium high heat in skillet. Place 1/2 of the venison in crockpot over bed of onion and mushrooms. Then add remainder of onion and mushrooms and cover with remaining venison. Prepare Gravy Mix in accordance with instructions and place in crockpot over venison. If necessary, use stock from marinade to cover the venison cubes with gravy/marinade. Add bay leaves. Cover and cook on low temperature for twelve hours. Stir no more than three or four times. Make sure that venison is covered with stock at all times.

4. When venison is cooked, drain off enough gravy so that venison and stock are thick. Add tomato paste and enough sour cream to suit your particular taste (1/3 to 1/2 cup) before serving. Use flour if necessary to thicken.

Larrupin' Steak Soup
Posthole (Oklahoma)

I'll have to kind of play this by ear, as I made this recipe up as I went along yesterday. It was extra-good though.
BKB

Ingredients:

Leftover grilled steak cut into cubes and at least two left over steak bones
One large Vidalia Onion, cut in thick slices
Three medium sized ripe tomatoes cut into about one inch cubes
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Add all the ingredients into a stock pot with about 2 quarts of water.

Simmer covered for about an hour.

Remove steak bones and simmer for another hour uncovered until it reduces by about 25% or so.

Serve very hot with a large slice of mozzarella cheese on top.