Thread: Don't shoot THAT monkey.....

Don't shoot THAT monkey.....

Zoo Worker Accidentally Shoots Tranquilizer Dart Into Employee Wearing Gorilla Suit

The Huffington Post | By Sara Gates Email
    RSS

Posted: 06/05/2014 12:32 pm EDT Updated: 06/05/2014 3:59 pm EDT

If it looks like a gorilla and walks like a gorilla, it's a gorilla -- right?

Not always, as one zoo worker in the Canary Islands learned this week. According to local Spanish reports, a veterinarian at Tenerife's Loro Parque zoo mistakenly shot a tranquilizer dart into an employee dressed in a gorilla suit.

The disguised worker fell to the ground and was soon transported to a local hospital. He arrived in serious condition, reportedly from an allergic reaction to the dart, which contained a powerful sedative capable of putting down a gorilla.

La Opinión de Tenerife reports that the man had donned a gorilla suit and was running around the park in a drill to prepare employees for an actual animal escape. The tranquilizer-wielding veterinarian apparently did not know the exercise was in progress and shot the zoo worker in the leg from a distance.

Local police arrived at the zoo following reports that a gorilla was loose. The incident was reportedly deemed an accident.

It's not the first time Loro Parque has made headlines for safety-related incidents. Orca whales at the zoo's marine park have attacked trainers in the past, culminating in the death of 29-year-old trainer Alex Martinez in 2009. The Spanish zoo has also been the subject of multiple animal welfare violations.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    When I saw the topic title I knew eddie had posted it without looking
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Well, of course, I did !!!....betcha got a grin outta it, though, didn't ya???
    Southern Gentleman

I'd think if I'd hired a veterinarian who couldn't tell a real ape from a guy in a suit I'd find me a new vet.

BKB

HA....Yep....I definitely would not take my pet monkey to him !!!
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Barry, that was my first thought too. How the hell can a vet working for zoo not know the difference between a real gorilla and a guy in a suit? I think my 4 year old could tell the difference.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Aww, come on guys, he only shot him in the leg !!!!

Maybe the fake ape only had a leg sticking out from behind the cotton candy stand.
    Southern Gentleman

Sounds like some piss poor planning on the part of the folks putting on the exercise.
    Sounds like several folks didn't get the memo on the event not being real.
    Old gorilla man better be glad he got shot with the dart. From what I read in the piece it looks like the police were called and they would not have been shooting darts....
    It could have turned out much worse..

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!