Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Question

Shimano Question

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new rod/reel combo and it will be a Shimano/Falcon combination again. I've got four years out of my two original Stradic/Falcon Lowrider combos and they're just as smooth as the day they came out of the box. So why do I need a new one? Well, it has been four years since I've broken in a new set. Also, I keep one rigged with braid and one rigged with flouro and I think I need a third I can set up for even lighter line for dropshotting.

Anyway, just when I thought I had my mind made up I see this Shimano Stradic CI4. Lighter weight, stronger supposedly and even smoother supposedly. It costs more, OF COURSE. I was wondering if anybody here had actually fished with one and if there's any noticeable difference.

BKB

Get what you want ... I'll still out-fish you with my Zebco 33 and Ugly Stik.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

You might do it. But you won't look half good doing it. Especially with a cat draped around your neck.

BKB

I have the C4i in both 1000 and 2500 sizes. They are by far the best reels I have in every way. Do it. Action is still as smoove as the day I bought them.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I was thinking you might have told me you'd gotten that model. Thanks Len. The 1000 is what I'm looking at. Line capacity is pretty low on them though. Of course I ain't gonna be longline trolling a big crank with it.

BKB

I use 4lb fireline braid and it holds about 17 miles on the 1000. It's a pretty small unit, though. I wouldn't put in on anything longer than a 6' pole with medium light/light action. Just my preference, though. The 2500 on my Loomis bronzeback rod is really well balanced.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I have given a lot of thought to getting the 2500 this time. My other two are 1000s. I could actually troll with a 2500 but its just so much fun landing a 8 or 9 pound fish on that ultralight stuff. Its like trying to land a seal with a crappie pole.

BKB

I have mine on a 6ft medium light Fenwick XMS and it's great fun nailing a river smallie with that thing on 4lb braid!

You have any new baits you'll give up this year? I'm going retro and hitting the smallies up north hard with some old school Rebel Pop-R action. And of course the usual cornucopia of soft plastic shit.

BKB

I'm finna try some drop shotting this weekend if all goes well. I have senkos and a new really wiggly sort of floating worm I'ma try. Sadly, I haven't done much river fishing yet. My go tos are always my twin tail hula skirt grubs and mizmo tubes. I have yet to see anything that catches more large smallies in our rivers.

Cap'n E has perfected his "old faithful" that almost always produces. colored jig head, berkley power grub (brown w/chartreuse tail) on a jig spinner with a single copper blade. When they're in the mood for that, all hell breaks loose.

If I show up dead, you know it's because I have divulged these closely held secrets!

I'm committing to more xRap and jerk baits this year as well.

I haven't fallen prey to the X-Rap yet. I try to stay at least one release behind Rapala so I'm still on the Minnow Raps. When they move from X-Rap to some other latest greatest I may try them. Have looked at the scatter Rap Minnow but haven't bought any yet. Might buy a couple of test baits. I like the concept.

BKB

You girls need to get a room! I think there should be a fishing forum someplace with a vacancy.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Okay, we'll let you get back to discussing open wheel racing and pussy cats.

BKB

You guys need to try the Rapala Scatter Rap. I have now used the Shallow Crank version on the Potomac, and on that first day I held even with my fishing partner using Mizmo tubes. The Shallow Crank one works perfect in the shallow water we fish, it floats if you stop cranking, and you can twitch it or constant retrieve, the later seeming to get it down to 4 or 5 feet. Like Big Skyz said in that other forum, it has some pretty cool action, different from most others.

I can't speak to those high dollar Shimano's, but my Spirex's are (to me) the cat's ass. I do wish they'd put the Quickfire into some of their fancy schmancy reels, but I reckon that ain't gonna happen. I've got two 2500s and two 1000s. One of each is a front and one is a rear drag. Personally, I prefer a reel with the rear "fighting drag" on it.

Posthole, if you are gonna go Old School with your lures this year check out the offerings over at www.lurenet.com.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    ... but my Spirex's are (to me) the cat's ass. I do wish they'd put the Quickfire into some of their fancy schmancy reels, but I reckon that ain't gonna happen. I've got two 2500s and two 1000s. One of each is a front and one is a rear drag. Personally, I prefer a reel with the rear "fighting drag" on it.
    Niner, you just described my predominant fresh water (and light tackle saltware) reel! I have 4 of those Spirex 2500 (of different vintages) rear-drag, quickfire reels in my current rotation.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    The Stradic CI4 2500 will be my next reel as soon as I can scrap together enough scratch. They are darn nice reels and I like the feel of them better than my two Quantum Smoke reels. Unlike Len I prefer a 6'6" medium fast rod or even a 7'. Try those Rapala Scatter Raps out, they are pretty dang cool.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    $220 for 7 bearings when you can have 10 and smoother than anything Shimano makes for $70????

The Mitchell 300/308/310xe was great. The upgraded 300/308/310Pro is better. Way better. You can get THREE of them for $220........

And if you are fishing braided line, Power Pro is the way to go. Plus, they make it in yellow so you can see it.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    He lives!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Garsh! I've fished with Mitchell reels and while I won't claim to have used the latest, that to me is like comparing a model A with a Porsche. Nothing I've ever used compares to the quality and durability of a Shimano spincast. In baitcasters they have competition, but not much in the spinning reel products. And I try not to be a snob about fishing gear but you wouldn't call it that if it was a rifle.
    I haven't used PowerOro. I'll give it a try.

BKB

I fish Power Pro and Fireline. Same, same. Whichever I can find at buying time in the weight I'm looking for is what I use.
    There is a WORLD of difference in the reels mentioned.
    They have never put a Mitchell reel together that can hold a candle to a Shimano reel. In open face that is.
    I am NO expert on bait casters. Got em use them rarely for certain kinds of fishing but don't like em.
    Take Care, Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Now before everyone goes piling on Bucky... Who has fished with a Mitchell n the last 15 years?

Not I.

BKB

Me either... Looks like a piece of crap.

Kidding!

I'd have to fish with one to really know but I can't see myself getting one. I know it's stupid to say but it just doesn't appear that well built from the pics.

http://www.basspro.com/Mitchell-300-...1306040811053/

Good reviews. I'll fondle one next time I'm at BPS.

BKB

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I still fish a Garcia 5000 on an Uglystik with the original Stren. I chunk it out there and more times than not it'll reel it back in. Guess I'm the anti yuppie
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Now before everyone goes piling on Bucky... Who has fished with a Mitchell n the last 15 years?
    WTF??? Now we got to justify what and how we have formed our opinions? I've had probably 6 different Mitchell reels over the last 35 years. And they have all been fair reels but not near Shimano quality. Most are tossed aside within a year or so for broken bail springs, shaking (unbalanced) and the like.

Len why the hell didn't you ask Bucky how many Shimano reels he's fished with in the past 15 years to form HIS opinion.
    He can make an opinion statement like:
    "smoother than anything Shimano makes"
    Without any justifier and skate by.
    I can give my opinion on the same subject and get called out to qualify my statement and accused of piling on?
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I have a Mitchell 300, and a 301. BUT they were made in France and are regarded as "collectables" these days.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Well now. I never knew that Mitchell was made in France. You learn somethin every day!

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    WTF??? Now we got to justify what and how we have formed our opinions? I've had probably 6 different Mitchell reels over the last 35 years. And they have all been fair reels but not near Shimano quality. Most are tossed aside within a year or so for broken bail springs, shaking (unbalanced) and the like.

Len why the hell didn't you ask Bucky how many Shimano reels he's fished with in the past 15 years to form HIS opinion.
    He can make an opinion statement like:
    "smoother than anything Shimano makes"
    Without any justifier and skate by.
    I can give my opinion on the same subject and get called out to qualify my statement and accused of piling on?
    Cap'n, are you getting laid on a regular basis?