Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shimano Question

Barry, the OLD Mitchell reels (like the one in my Acatar) were made in France. I think the new ones are made in China or Lower Slobovia or somesuch.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

What a tangled web it is these days. Its awful hard to have much brand loyalty when these companies are owned by big daddy corporations. Mitchell, it turns out, was owned and operated by ABU Garcia when Mitchell was a French company. Then they were bought by Johnson in the 80's when the fishing industry conglomerated into two or three real companies. Johnson today owns Minnkota, Humminbird, LakeMaster, and a bunch of other outdoor rrelated companies. Mitchell somewhere along the line was sold to Jarden Companies who make kitchen appliances and so forth (Oster is one), and they own Berkely, Fenwick, Coleman, Penn, among many many others. Its weird. Pradco owns most of the familiar lure manufacturers nowadays.

BKB

I thought the Chinese owned everything now. I guess the Frogs are more stealthy.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Cap'n, are you getting laid on a regular basis?
    Probably getting more by accident than most get on purpose. But what's that got to do with my point?
    I'm serious here. Why am I called out for giving an opinion and others are not?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Ummm, maybe 'cause you're a redneck, short-shit dufus-butt?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

That's a good possibility, but I notice there are no real answers given?

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Mine's real.

Bite me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    You two are cracking me up.

Yea, my side is hurting from laughing too!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Probably getting more by accident than most get on purpose. But what's that got to do with my point?
    I'm serious here. Why am I called out for giving an opinion and others are not?

I wasn't saying anything about a particular person. Just trying to keep everyone from getting sand in their vaginas again.

I'll butt out next time, sorry.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Everyone? Or just one?

Cause it was sure one sided

Asking people to qualify THEIR opinions/comments by how many Mitchell reels they fish in the past 15 years and not asking Bucky to qualify his opinion/comment of "smoother than anything Shimano makes" by asking how many Shimano reels he's fish sure seems one sided.
    And perhaps I took it the way I did because it was posted right after my comment.
    Anyway my opinion stands....
    If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Once in 56 years ain't bad.

So Bucky.......
    How many Shimano's (and what models) have you had in the last 15 years?

Cancer Sucks!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I don't know any of you well enough to say much, the only one of you I've ever met was Bert. Just seems to me that too many here want to get pissy too easy. It ain't no fun any more. We need Cornholio to show up with some large dead critters or Carnie with a fresh stripe on his drawers just to lighten the mood a little bit. Even mule writer would be an improvement over the last few months
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Or Matt and a squirrel killing at the office. Or was that a rat?

I agree the sensitivity knobs get turned up too high sometimes. I also think that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. There is the distinct possibility that the actual level of persecution around here is pretty evenly distributed.

BKB

Ok, here's a question....and I am dead serious:
    How does one judge the "smoothness" of a spinning reel?

I DO know that more ball bearings does not necessarily make for a "smoother" reel.

Cancer Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I agree the sensitivity knobs get turned up too high sometimes. I also think that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. There is the distinct possibility that the actual level of persecution around here is pretty evenly distributed. BKB
    Well said. That good for Goose, good for Gander is my point.
    That's kinda how this site got started. Getting kicked out of All Outdoors and the flame wars that use to go on over there.
    There is a LOT of history and friendships made here. WONDERFUL connections and even greater meetings and trips.
    The part about us fighting like brothers/sisters in engrained In the roots of this place.
    I might be showing my age but I think of this place like a modern CB radio fad that went around in the 70's. You talked to and got to "know" a lot of people without ever meeting them. And it seemed like when you did finally get to meet one of them face to face you already knew so much about them. And had a lot to talk about from the get go.
    But the one disadvantage to THIS form of meeting and chatting with each other is the lack of being able to hear a voice. A LOT is said in a tone or inference in the spoken word, and many things can be taken or read with a different intent.
    It's happened to me several time here and will again. Most of them harmless. But if the same conversation took place face to face around a campfire there would have not been a misunderstanding.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    So Bucky.......
    How many Shimano's (and what models) have you had in the last 15 years?
    Two, but I didn't say anything negative to anyone, just gave an opinion, nothing more.

I won't be giving many more opinions here.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Niner, I just the smoothness by two things: First how solid the action feels when you're reeling. On some reels, they just feel like there are heavy or light spots in a revolution of the handle. In other words it kind of feels like the spool has a tire weight on it or something. Kind of oscillates if that makes sense. On a really smooth reel you hardly feel the bail trip and you'd never know the spool was connected to the handle by pinion gears and drive gears because there's just that good of a connection. The other thing I judge the smoothness on is under a heavy load. How much slack is in it when you set the hook, how far can you backreel with the brake on. Both of those should be zero. It should be SOLID.

Bucky, the other thing I was about to edit my post and say is that your skin isn't half as thin as we sometimes think it is. But I guess it is thin on this deal for some reason. I disagreed with your opinion and I thought I did it pretty much forthrightly. Sorry if that got under your skin because it wasn't meant that way. Understand, I don't apologize for not agreeing, I am just sorry you fell that way. I don't know what to friggin' say any more.

BKB

I always want everyone to get along and it's always been my achilles and probably will be until I die. I'll just mind my own bidness and continue to fuck with everyone

Sheeesh! It's like ya' have to friggin' walk on egg shells around this joint lately. WTF is in the water these days?

Screw you Jimmy! That's hurtful!

I don't discriminate, I mess with EVERYBODY!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I don't discriminate, I mess with EVERYBODY!
    Ah go pet your pussy....

Have you ever noticed threads where a difference of opinions get the most replies?

Yeah, a thread gets real boring when they run like Democrats agreeing with everything Obama said during his first term. Odd how, now that he can't run again, some are trying to distance themselves. Frigging brown-nosers!

BTW, my pussy is a little sore tonight.

Oh yeah, all this thread needs is politics to make it perfect.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Niner, I just the smoothness by two things: First how solid the action feels when you're reeling. On some reels, they just feel like there are heavy or light spots in a revolution of the handle. In other words it kind of feels like the spool has a tire weight on it or something. Kind of oscillates if that makes sense. On a really smooth reel you hardly feel the bail trip and you'd never know the spool was connected to the handle by pinion gears and drive gears because there's just that good of a connection. The other thing I judge the smoothness on is under a heavy load. How much slack is in it when you set the hook, how far can you backreel with the brake on. Both of those should be zero. It should be SOLID.

Bucky, the other thing I was about to edit my post and say is that your skin isn't half as thin as we sometimes think it is. But I guess it is thin on this deal for some reason. I disagreed with your opinion and I thought I did it pretty much forthrightly. Sorry if that got under your skin because it wasn't meant that way. Understand, I don't apologize for not agreeing, I am just sorry you fell that way. I don't know what to friggin' say any more.

BKB
    To be the third smartest man I ever met, you are a dumbass at times. Sorry!! I watched the Cardinals, and came in here to sign off and read this. And I got lost. I LITERALLY scratched my head. I wasn't talking to you, about you, from you, around you, under you, over you, or nuttin' of the sort.

What I MEANT WAS...............I simply said that I thought Mitchell 300's were a better reel and deal than Shimano's high priced stuff, and that was all I said. Nothing more. Later, Len jumped Cappy. I don't know why, I wasn't paying a lot of attention at the time, so sue me. Then Cappy said he was apparently being called out to justify his opinion when I didn't have to justify mine about Mitchells. Well, never mind the fact that you can't justify an opinion about mundane stuff, it's just an opinion. You can disagree with it, or agree, or ignore it, or whatever. But it's your opinion. As it turns out, I am in fact the world's FOREMOST authority on my own opinion, as I'm sure you are about yours. No one can tell me that my opinion is not mine. So neener neener on that one. Where was I? Oh.......y'all bantered back and forth about something, Cappy all the while hollering that he wanted an answer as to why he was called out but no one else..........and finally Niner asked me a direct question.

I was trying to stay out of this whole thread EXCEPT for my one injected opinion about Shimano's vs. Mitchell 300's (not the whole Mitchell line, BTW). But if you ask me a direct opinion, I give it. So I did.

You keeping up here?

That's all I said, the answer to that question. Stuff kept flying and so I started actually reading all this, and it seemed as if somehow, some magic crazy stupid way, I had caused this row.......even though I never asked anyone to justify their opinion, and I never challenged anyone's opinion directly, other than to say my opinion differed from y'all's on that brand of reels. Shimano makes great reels. Toyota makes great trucks. Carolina BBQ is for danged sure worth eating. Gators are good UTV's. None or all of those may be MY choice of purchase, but they're great stuff.

So, I'm lost as to why you think I was upset at you. You guys are more of a pro (at almost everything) than I am, and I value your opinions, whether I agree with them or not. So it wasn't the Reel Deal that I used to state I wasn't going to make any more opinions here. It was the fact that some dadgum crazy way, if I say anything here, somehow it causes everyone to argue. And I'm danged tired of it. I've been called an asshole and a jerk, and other invalid statements made. Yet, I have not run off, and I have not completely stopped posting. I am not going to miss reading about Bwana's kids or Big Sky's exploits or Conine's progress or all that.......but I'm done giving my opinion......heckfire, in fact, I THOUGHT I made a most innocuous statement about a flipping fishing reel, and look what it caused!!! So, I don't want that. I be's done with that.

And that's what I think about that.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I still fish a Garcia 5000 on an Uglystik with the original Stren. I chunk it out there and more times than not it'll reel it back in. Guess I'm the anti yuppie
    I'm with ya' QA ... if I need a rod & reel combo ... I head to Kmart and pick up whatever the Blue Light Special is for that particular day and I can STILL out fish all these fishing-snob yuppies around here.