Thread: Okay flyfishers

Okay flyfishers

I've about nixed the idea of a new spinning reel/rod combo in favor of a fly rod and reel combination. And just as an alert it may cause either a divorce or a funeral, most likely the latter. I know me.

anyway, Cabay-Has is having a pretty good sale right now and I stumbled on this. I'm considering the 5 wt 8'6". Any advice from you guys? I think 3 wt was recommended last time. How much difference in action and which one is more versatile? I wanna catch some decent sized largemouth and smallies on this rig. Of course I know all about the old 'Want in one hand and .....'

BKB

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...3Bcat104721480

I went fly fishing with a real live fly fishing guide and talked for hours about equipment and how to ease in to it. For fishing river current and smallies he recommended a 5wt.

This

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...ubcat_id=44223
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I've never fished for flies?
    Are they hard to clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Damn Cappy! Ya' beat me to it! Great minds think alike.

I wonder what kinda bait they use? I've always been told ya' catch more flies with honey.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

No no no no no no no .....you got it all wrong. You fish, you drink beer, you gotta go real quick, then you go fly fishing.

Thumper, stay on the lookout for some fly fishing stuff in your sales and let me know if you see something wouldja?
    BKB

Will do P-hole. It's always more fun when I have a target of some sort. Fly fishing isn't real big down here, but I do run across it from time to time. Just remember, if I find anything, I'll prolly take a photo, get a price and text you. If you don't answer for a week, it does me no good.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    I've never tried fly fishing, because I know better.
    A blonde flipping that thing back and forth could be very dangerous for me and anyone within line distance.
    Nope I'll stick with my regular style fishing.

I've had a hook stuck before and I really don't want another.

I gave it a pretty good try I'll have to say. I was pretty "eh" on the whole thing. It's kinda cool but kinda a pain in the ass, too. I can see getting a rig and using it once or twice a year.

I think I'd have to be bored with slaying smalllies with my spinning gear and I just don't see ever getting tired of that
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Well, I suppose I'll have to show my complete dorkiness and admit that its the biology of it that interests me as much as anything. My buddy who fly fishes a lot, well let's just say he is seriously addicted, tells me that in our area rivers there is some kind of hatch of insects or baitfish or critters of other sorts going on every week of every month of the year. Understanding that in detail has got to make you a better overall fisherman don't it? Plus its cool as shit. Just stupid stuff like sculpins, which the majority of fishermen prolly don't even know exist under foot when you're in a river, are cooler than hell. So that part of it is what I want to know. I have no idea if I'll like the fishing part but I'm gonna give it a try.

I can quit when I want to. Honest!

BKB

Got up at 5 and caught 64 of them whopper bream this morning. Some of them would not fit in a hat! Took them to a pond a friend of mine just built and released them all. One hell of a good morning
    Wonder what them big pie plate bream would feel like on a fly rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Not too bad, if you use "E" piano wire for line............
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I'm not sure you're snooty ... errr, I mean DIGNIFIED enough to be a fly fisherman P-hole.

Don't you have to join a club or sumpin'? And learn the secret handshake?

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Posthole, a lot depends if you're a novice or a semi experienced fisher. Most likely a 9' 5wt will cover anything you want and is versatile enough for bream plus it has a very easy learning curve. Just remember, it will ruin you on baitcasting.

you've been warned
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Not to worry, Thumper. When I get ready to go socialize with them hoity toity fly fisher types, I can rely on Len and Hank to give me some metrosexual beer advice.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Not to worry, Thumper. When I get ready to go socialize with them hoity toity fly fisher types, I can rely on Len and Hank to give me some metrosexual beer advice.BKB

I'll have to confess. I own two flyrods. One is a Browning 7.5ft 5/6 weight that I got for a song back in the 90's. The other is a Heddon (I think) Mark X "Magnum Action" 8.5ft 8 weight rod. I forget where the heck I got that thing, but I THINK it was at a yard sale.

Anyhoo....I hope Hide Hunter checks in here, cause I'd like to know a little about that Heddon rod....I think it is from the 60's or 70's.

I rarely use either. However, I did put a new leader and some tippet on the Browning rod a few weeks ago. I used to use it occasionally on those (small) trout we used to catch in the Chattahooche River. But, in recent years I've used it for bass in Lake Co9 with topwater bass popper frog flys. It is REALLLLLY cool when a bass boils up on a topwater fly. I also like to use this rig to catch bream. I neeeeeed to get on a bed full of bream with some of those little topwater bream bugs.

I haven't been out with the fly rod since I got sick...but that crap is gonna change!!!!
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    If you are thinking "decent sized" smallies and largemouth you definitely want the 5 over the 3. The 3 Forks/Prestige combo is exactly what I have in 6 and 3. These are my "truck" rods. They ride behind the seat of the truck in a double case as long as there is open water. I don't know if you can do much better anywhere for the money.

Niner.. Heddons of course, were not expensive rod and don't have a *lot* of collectors value. I've seen them go for anywhere from 15 to 50 dollars. I'm sure to the right guy they might to do better. That said - there is some increasing interest in vintage glass rods. I have been trying to but a 8.5 foot 8 wt Fenwick Fenglas from a neighbor kid for four years years. He doesn't really want it but he's smart enough to know I do.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I've fished that Heddon some in the past...but it's been some time. Isn't an 8wt supposed to be for BIG fish, like stripped bass or somesuch? I think I was using it for playing with bream. I've got another OLD rod down in the basement. I'll have to see if it has any markings on it. It came from my FIL, who I THINK got it from his FIL. It looks pretty well used and has one of those "automatic" reels on it. I imagine it has caught a boatload of bream in its day!
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Excuse me... Being the Senior noticer I would think you have noticed the extreme upgrade in Troy's fishing accoutermentations lately. I got nuttin' on him!

I know! I halfway expect to see a bota strapped on his waders in one of his pictures.

BKB

I'm waiting to see his picture in the fishing section of the Cabela's Christmas catalog.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    BBP, I don't know nothing about fly fishing as I'm just getting into it. I haven't retired my spincasts by a long shot yet. However I did see you ask Kribbs to keep an eye out on fly fishing gear for you, and noted his reply. With that said, if you check Craiglist in Montana and Idaho there is almost always fly fishing stuff being sold.