Thread: Annual Tuna Trip

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar

Annual Tuna Trip

I made it back out to Westport for the Tuna fishing season this year, and as a bonus I was able to take along my father-in-law. This is a fast paced trip and makes for a long day and I was worried that it might be a bit much for the in-law, but he did great. We started out leaving from Snoqualmie and driving to Westport. Paul (FIL) and I agreed to pull a 30' RV for the friend that takes us, so he could pull his boat. After getting the right ball and other odds and ends we hooked up and took off around 7:30PM.

Although 7:30 seems late it is really a blessing in disguise. Anyone who has driven through Tacoma knows the traffic at 4-6 is really bad. My wife left 4 hours before us and beat us there by 1.5 hours, based on the traffic. So having less traffic, when pulling a 30' RV worked out.

We hit Westport around 10:30 - 11:00 and had the RV dropped off and back to the Condo the wife rented by 11:30. Had one drink (one Gin / one Crown Royal) and were off to bed by 12:00. Then the fun started back up at 4:00AM and on the boat ready to leave by 5:00. We headed around 40 miles offshore and one of the weirdest thing from the time we got 10 miles out the rest of the day the waters were filled with baby jelly fish.....some places you could have walked across them. Not sure why, still investigating that.

Either way around 7:30AM we dropped our troll rods in, running about 9 miles an hour, and 10 minutes in it was fish on. Most of the fish we caught were on the troll, but we did have one good frenzy bite that landed 7 off the bait bite. For those who haven't been Tuna fishing it can get real exciting really quick. You troll with 5 rods. As soon as you hear "fish on" one guy has the responsibility to start reeling that fish in slow to pull the school up by the boat. One guy is chumming with live and frozen anchovies. Others clear the other troll rods. then everyone grabs a new rod and baits up live bait and drops them in the water. If done right there is usually a school of Tuna......The fun starts when you get 4-5 tuna on at the same time. They are so strong and pull a lot of line you really can't control them. So you end up handing rods off and going over under trying not to tangle each other.....its a 5 ring circuits on a 10x6 platform....but a lot of fun.

We finished up the day and pulling in around 6:30 with 34 tuna between 20-30lbs. Then proceeded to clean fish until 9:30. When we got home I think the FIL was awake for all of 5 minutes after hitting the door. Not me I got the wife speech of I hadn't been around all day and she wanted to go for a walk on the beach. We've all been there I could either argue for an hour and still go, or just get it over with. I went immediately..and got home around 12:00 totally tired and did something I haven't done in years....slept until 9:00

Tuna.jpg

Next trip August ... Alaska

Wow, that looks like some fun fishing right there. And the strategy to lure them in is really cool too.

You've turned into a fisherman Boh!

BKB

Not sure about that.....but Paul definitely has a warm up for Canada now

Sounds like a great time was had by all ... but one question ... couldn't you have found a better place to pose for pics? I mean, WITHOUT the big phallic symbol in the background?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Thump I know your mind usually gravitates towards sex, but that direction is a little concerning ... You may want to grab a nudie magazine and get your compass set back in the right direction.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    you only took Paul fishing for 1 day, great now we have to listen to him bitch bout his son in law only taking him out once. Did you get him some butterscotch schnapps. Nice looking haul, glad you had fun.
    Last edited by Trav; 07-21-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    You've turned into a fisherman Boh!

BKB
    Barry, he has always love the catching part. It was the waiting around he was never good at. That boat is big enough to have a unlimited supply of beer and libations so the wait aint near as bad.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

True. Otherwise he'd be in a bar somewhere.

Just noticed that you got photobombed by a sea gull, Boh.

BKB

Wow! Y'all got 'em stacked up like cordwood there.
    Looks like an excellent time was had by all.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Trav is right I'm into the catchin' more than fishing, and in a pinch an ample supply of beer helps. Seeing BigSky and Captain's photos I believe I could fish with both of them, looks like a lot of catching goes on.

Thanks Niner!

BBP Trav has been up once, and I think had a pretty good trip....when you finally decide to option on that retirement thing you should put the PNW on the bucket list, I'm sure we could put you on some fish. As for the fisherman thing there is a whole lot I don't know about offshore fishing and I'm slowly learning. The first few trips I was totally worthless, now I can at least do the smaller tasks and I'm only 1/2 worthless.

Man that is spanking them good! Congrats. I'd love to give that a whirl....
    Pretty cool how you bring the school in and cast for them.
    Take Care, Captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Now that had to have been all kinds of fun!

Oh, the northwest is definitely on my bucket list, Boh. I'm driving the Al-Can Fricking Highway with Captain and will pass through and look at some stuff on my way through there.

BKB

Update: With all that Tuna had to figure out what to do it with it. So last night the FIL and I had a canning party. Took two bags of about 20lbs each and layed the slabs out, picked the ones we wanted for steaks or sushi and cut the rest into cubes. The steak cuts were set in olive oil to marinate. We then loaded mason jars with tuna, peppers, and garlic, topped it off with water and a little olive oil.

In between we enjoyed some sushi, and several glasses of likker. The jars were put into the pressure cooker and pressure taken to 11lbs, and the timer set for 90 minutes. Its a process and the pressure cooker needs watched constantly adjusting the temp to keep the pressure at 11.

With about 30 minutes left I threw the steaks on the grill, and we ate those....turned out really good.

Perfect night.....Likker, tuna grilled steaks, sushi, and 19/20 pint jars came out sealed tight.

Dang Hombre! That sounds good ... can't get much fresher than that. From the sounds of it, I'm assuming you had sashimi instead of sushi ... or did you actually make some sushi with it? Dang you ... now I have sushi on my mind and starting to salivate! I may have to make a phone call and see if Lynn is free for lunch.

Nope you're right we had Sashimi. Cut it in thin slices, put half a slice of pepper, some Sarachi, and an Avocado slice on it. Put a light coating of soy sauce and ate it. Fresh caught is amazing that way. I do have the stuff to do roles but didn't last night, just too much going on.

Bingo! Gots me a lunch date at our favorite sushi joint. I'll catch youse dufes later. Thanks for planting the seed Hombre!

Captain - It was a great time. If I ever get out that way I'd love to look you up for a little fishin and hope if you get out to the PNW you'd do the same.

That's a deal! Think we could manage a little fishing in between likker drinking ! :-)

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

That's a loooong drive from N.C. to the PNW Cappy! You just may have to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    That's a loooong drive from N.C. to the PNW Cappy! You just may have to fly!
    Just a little drive...