Thread: Dreams Really DO Come True.......

Dreams Really DO Come True.......

One of the things that my wife and I have been dreaming about since we got married 30 years ago is a fishing trip to Montana. But, with kids, college, and one thing and then another.....that trip just kept getting put on the back burner. After I got sick though, we decided that we needed to reprioritize some of those things. I've already had four intense back surgeries in the last two years or so, and in March I was getting ready to have radiation treatments. During my hospital stay, I got to emailing with Big Sky. The subject of my dream of fishing in Montana came up....and he suggested that it would be a good idea for me to come on out and go fishing with him when I got to feeling better. Before you know it, we were making plans for a fishing trip.

During the following months, I did a lot of praying for healing and worked to build up my stamina so that I could walk more than just "around the house" so that I'd be physically able to handle a few days of fishing out in "Big Sky Country". Even though I had made leaps and bounds in my healing and recovery, as the date grew nearer, I realized I still was not well enough to go out on this adventure by myself. I knew that I would need Di to come along to assist me in doing all of the little things that I still need help doing.

Big Sky had come up with some good places to take me fishing that would not require a great deal of hiking or physical exertion. We arrived in Great Falls around lunchtime on Friday, July 4th, and Big Sky took us out to a friend's property that afternoon to get in a little fishing. We crossed a large pasture (dodging a few cattle along the way), to a beautiful little creek at a hole that I've seen a few times here on GoodHunting. I made my way down to the water, and soon had my first WILD Montana German Brown Trout on the end of my line. We let that hole rest and Big Sky took us to another friend's place with a number of ponds and some very impressive trout and I caught the largest Rainbow that I had ever caught.

On Saturday morning, we went back to that pristine little pasture creek and fished from hole to hole and I caught a VERY nice 18" Brown Trout and also caught several very nice fish out of the ponds before calling it a day. Big Sky said that fishing was just going to get better and better, and he was not kidding! Di and I took a nice scenic drive on Sunday though some very impressive mountains mixed with high-plains and river breaks. The scenery is truly amazing out there. Montana is a wilderness wonderland! We saw herds of bull elk, some with very impressive antlers, white tail and mule deer, a couple of bald eagles and a few antelope.

One thing about summer in Montana, the sun comes up VERY EARLY by southeastern standards. We were getting up at 4:00-4:30 am and by 5:00 am it was as fully daylight as it is in Atlanta at 7:00 am. The sun also sets very late--it was still good daylight at 10:00 pm (makes for lots of extra fishing time!).

On Monday we took a float trip down the Missouri River with one of Big Sky’s good friends. Turns out the Missouri River near Great Falls is a premier trout fishing destination for many anglers. Who knew!! We floated down the mighty Mizzou and caught (and released) a “boat load” of VERY nice trout, the smallest was probably around 17 inches. Not only is the sky big out there, but the trout are too! Seemed like every trout I was pulling in beat my own new personal record set just minutes before that. I was lucky enough to drag in one Brown Trout that measured 21 inches--the largest trout I’ve ever caught. We had such a grand time on Monday, we did the float trip again on Tuesday!

I hope to be able to make another journey back out there someday to try my hand at those monster trout again. Until then, I have many wonderful memories, many photos and the images that are burned in my brain.

My good friend Big Sky helped me realize the dream fishing trip of a lifetime---catching huge trout, enjoying the amazing scenery and wildlife while spending time with good friends. I am so grateful to Big Sky and his good friend Mike for helping to make this dream come true.

WOW, what a trip!

Attachment 3251
    Attachment 3261
    Attachment 3252Attachment 3253Attachment 3254Attachment 3255Attachment 3256
    I caught this one just as we were coming under that bridge in the background! A nice fight in the strong current!
    Attachment 3257
    This was my biggest brownie!
    Attachment 3258
    Attachment 3259
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Great story Bill. I can proudly say that I'm on the list of people here who have also had the privilege to meet Big Sky and I will vouch for the fact the guy is solid gold. ANYONE who's ever met him should be proud to call him a friend. I have items around my office as a reminder ... not only from a care package he sent me when I was in the hospital barely hanging onto life ... but a very special memento of the time I met the man in person.

I first met you and Di many, MANY years ago (before EITHER of us ran into our health problems) but we've also shared personal time as we were both in the process of recovery (and between follow-up surgeries for both of us). As far as that "solid gold" designation Big Sky deserves, he has company in the likes of both you and Di. The quality of people I've met through this place is incredible and never ceases to amaze me. Congratulations on meeting one of your goals and kudos to B/S for helping a dream come true. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better person to share the outdoors with and I'm sure BOTH of your lives were enriched as a result of this outing.

And as for the area up there ... I can honestly say, hands down, I have never seen so much QUALITY wildlife ... EVER ... and probably never will again in my lifetime! I'm glad you got to experience it for yourself. It's difficult to explain to people who have never actually been there.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Man that is a great Trip report! That's what I call a meeting of two good group of folks. Sky and his wife are the salt of the earth and you and Di are wonderful. It was killing me to not say anything here the whole time you were out there. But I kept quiet, Other than the "educated guess" hint I made on Big Sky's 20 inch trout post...
    So glad you made the trip out there and hopefully I'll be able to make a like and similar trip one day! Congrats on some wonderful fish and memories.
    Take Care, Captain
    PS: that is a good looking Shimano, fast cast, rear fighting drag reel you sporting there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

That's about as close toooo heaven a person can get in this life! The beauty of the country is overwhelming. Troy is most definiitly a top shelf person.

And that, believe it or agree with me or not I don't care, is the whole purpose of Goodhunting. Meeting people from other parts of the country that love doing what we all love to do and creating chances to go and do stuff like that. Aside from all the rumbling and grumbling and political discussions and all of that, it really boils down to people. DAMN good people. And man oh man, this just makes my heart beat faster to know that this trip happened. I don't know what else to say. That's just one of the best things that's ever happened here.

Its good to see that big old grin on your face, Niner. And Troy, I'd hug your neck if you were here. Good on ya, as Bwana says. What a friend.

BKB

Why does this thread make me really miss ol' TW all of a sudden? I guess this talk of "solid gold" brought up other memories of fellow Good Hunters .. past and present. This is a special group ... no doubt about it.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    So. Damn. Cool.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    NIce!
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I just have no words..........two of the best folks I know. Bill, that is the greatest story I've read here, hands down. I'm so proud for you I'm about to bust.

Troy, I'm coming. I don't know when, or how........but if the Lord lets me live, I'm coming. Get ready.

Thank you, Niner, again. You're an inspiration to all of us, more than you can know.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Nice job boys.... Damn nice job
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

A fella couldn’t ask for a better friend! Not many folks would take the time to plan out places to fish, load and unload gear, etc. to make it possible for an “old fella” like me to be able to fish, and be so patient while I trudged in and out of the stream and helping to drag along me stool to squat on. Big Sky and his wife truly are some of the nicest folks I’ve ever met, not nearly the “internet ax murderers” I was led to believe!

All joking aside, what a friend! He even introduced me to a new friend, his buddy Mike. Another true friend and good ol’ boy (with a heart as big as that sky out there) that arranged his days off work to take the time to paddle my butt down the river (more than once), and played guide for me! You don’t find those kinda guys every day! I invited Mike to join our Goodhunting Clan, and I hope he takes us up on it.

Cap’n, I had to use that fighting drag more than once! What a thrill! I LOVE it when they start peeling off line and working that drag!
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    That is just super!
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Looks like you added a coupl'a pics. I swear the next to last pic (of you and Mike) looks more like Posthole ... well, if he's gained 2-3 pounds anyway.

You are a dufus. That guy doesn't look like me at all.

BKB

Ok, so he's got less gray in his beard, but we'll leave the final determination up to the Good Hunting staff.

BBP looks like that dude's angry brother.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Or at minimum .... his FUGLY brother. Heck, even their fish look related!

we both have a hat, we both have a beard, we both have on sunglasses, we're both holding trout. I'm still way better looking.
    BKB

Sorry, due to the fact you may have a biased opinion, you don't get a vote.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    The time with Bill and Di was about as much fun as one could have over a 5 day period. Every day was great, and each day was better than the day before. I can't think of a better way to have spent my 4th of July weekend. Thanks for coming out here.

My buddy Mike just texted me this photo he took towards the end of the trip. I quite like it.

That last one looks like a testament to the scatter rap

And funny looking people

I keep coming back to this thread to help improve my mood from what has been a fairly sucky week

I think I'd keep forgetting to fish when gazing on this pretty part of the country

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    There are some pictures here that need to be preserved for GH Posterity. I can't ever remember any that looked this good.........amazing.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

That pic above would be a 100% keeper ... if it weren't for the two dufi spoiling the scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    There are some pictures here that need to be preserved for GH Posterity. I can't ever remember any that looked this good.........amazing.
    Well we DO have a Goodhunting Hall of Fame. It definitely needs to go in there.

PUmpHeAdSySOP!!! Make it so please.

BKB

Hey! I'm the money man ... I ain't no dang common laborer!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    I have had the pleasure of meeting Big Sky as well as spending time fishing, hunting, and just swapping stories with him and as others have said, he is good people!

As for the fish...all I can say is that Niner beat me to the punch and what a punch it was as those are some GREAT fish. Way to go Niner!!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Very cool trip report niiner, VERY cool.

Sky and yourself look to have had a real time of it. Meeting new folks that welcome you into their home, fishing for big hungry trout, and enjoying some amazing scenery. Man who could ask for more?

Will