Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I don't often agree with Fox News

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    90%.....wow. Big number.
    With on on that Bucky. I think that number is horse shit. At least in MY area of the world.
    Could be spot on for him and his area, but around here the opposite would be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    A) I don't personally know you or your friends Bucky so you guys don't count.

B) I'm not talking about normal sane conservatives, although they are getting more rare they still do exist. I am talking about people who just piss and moan about loafers and this and that ethnic group being "takers". Spend most of any conversation relaying Rush or Sean's latest missives so I can know just how bad these loafers are hurting us Wurkin Merkins. In real life I don't know a whole hell of a lot of these guys. But almost to a man the ones I do know are completely worthless and 90% of them would qualify as parasites under an accurate use of the term.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Barry, your post reminds of me the old joke where Jesus shows up at some diner and commences to lay hands on people and heal them. He works his way down the counter and the last old boy in line jumps up and shouts, "Don't touch me! I'm on disability..."
    LOL Purty much!

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Yeah, we do count.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Don't look now Buckster, but it looks like you just might be on the verge of getting sucked into a political discussion!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Ummmm, How 'bout them Dawgs.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Here's a couple of numbers to chew on. If course at full retirement age (65) full SSI kicks in so its no longer considered 'disability'. But fully 20% of all of those receiving social security benefits are receiving 'disability'. That's 11 million people. 45% of veterans of Iran and Afghanistan receive disability benefits from the VA. This is more than double than for any previous war. The previous rate was at about 20%. that's a helluva lot of people who are on 'disability'.

BKB

Huh? I'm not sure how you equate SSI with disability. You can LEGALLY draw at 62 years of age, but the payout is lower. It's a sliding scale ... at 62 I receive 75% of what I'd get if I waited until 66 when I'd get 100%. Even then, that's a percentage of what I put into the system ... it's not a fixed rate. Put in more, withdraw more ... contribute less, draw less. I have a close buddy who's never made a lot of money, although he's worked all his life. He retired a few months ago and started drawing SSI ... it's just over $800/month. Not many people could live on that, but he lives like a mountain man and grows his own veggies, raises his own chickens/hogs, etc. His place is paid for, he uses no a/c and lives a minimalist lifestyle, so it works for him.

What I'd like to know is, how the heck do you figure choosing to retire at 62 and taking a cut in payments (from money I deposited all my working life), instead of waiting for the 100% payout 48 months later is collecting "disability"? WTF???

As for the 45% of vets ... that number seems mighty high, but I assume you researched it, so I'll take your word for it. BUT ... the way you have it worded, it "sounds" like you're implying they're on 100% disability. Many of those could be on 10% or 20%, etc. As usual, statistics can read any way you want them to. If you lose half your foot after stepping on an IED and get a 10% disability payout, is that not worth $130.94?

No, I'm not going to be drawn in.

But this is getting a bit idiotic. This whole thread is.............quite interesting........but pretty much......um....

Never mind. Here's some data.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibStat.html

And please, try to learn what the terms mean when using them.

I'm done.

well, ONE other thing that none of you apparently know.....(among many things)....... .9 percent of your premiums go to pay for Disability Insurance. You are BUYING a federal disability policy. When Soc Sec started, that wasn't part of it. Congress keeps adding things, like SSI (SUPPLEMENTAL Security Income, or 'welfare' ---currently around $800/month fixed I think--- for those who NEVER paid in a dime to Soc Sec), or children's benefits, or medicare or whatever. BUT, the premium is also no longer 1 %!!!! So this Disability that everyone hates has been paid for in disability insurance premiums for many years, for most folks. And it's not very easy to get.

Please, try and learn something about Social Security before trying to discuss its details.
    Last edited by Buckrub; 07-31-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I'm curious. If I paid auto insurance all of my adult life and my truck was stolen from my driveway ... would I be considered a free-loading bum if I filed an insurance claim? Or should I just go buy another one and not mention it? Just wonderin' ....

Well, you totally missed the point, both of you. I was talking about the number of people I know who are NOT disabled but collect disability from social security. Bad reading comprehension is not a disability, but it does kind of put you at a disadvantage. So I don't care if you paid in or not, if you filed your claim fraudulently, its still fraud.
    And people don't think there's a thing wrong with it. There's even professionals who will help you game the system for a fee.

BKB

Could you please name one? I hear about them but no one ever seems to be able to point me to one.... I sorta of see that statement as one of those "that's what they say" statements. No one ever can identify who "they" is.....

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Fraudulent claims are illegal and who doesn't think there's anything wrong with it? Evidently you are one of those people ...

P-hole quotes:

I was talking about the number of people I know who are NOT disabled but collect disability from social security.
    I have a first cousin who is 100% disabled and draws a huge Social Security check for it. He's an active hunter, fisherman, and outdoorsman and I'd have a difficult time keeping up with him on just about any physical activity. In other words, THERE AIN'T NOTHING WRONG WITH HIM. But he's retired and because he paid in for all those years, he feels like it's just fine and dandy to say he's disabled when in all reality, he isn't. apparently a doctor has said so. somehow this has become a part of acceptable behavior in our culture because he ain't the only one.
    So ... shouldn't you be doing a service to your country by reporting these "scammers"? Can you get cell phone videos of your cousin scurrying up a tree with a climber? That would be great evidence. If you witnessed a bank robbery, would you just turn away and keep on walking? Aren't you just as guilty as these "people you know"?

Bite me. You ain't as good as kicking the turds as Larke. you more like mash them.

There's buttloads of them. You know of them too.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Well, you totally missed the point, both of you. I was talking about the number of people I know who are NOT disabled but collect disability from social security. Bad reading comprehension is not a disability, but it does kind of put you at a disadvantage. So I don't care if you paid in or not, if you filed your claim fraudulently, its still fraud.
    And people don't think there's a thing wrong with it. There's even professionals who will help you game the system for a fee.

BKB

I'm in agreement with The above. I know one girl I went to High school with. She decided she couldn't sleep at night, and therefore couldn't work. Took a year and a half, but she is now on full disability.
    A month after she started receiving her check.... She advertised on Craigslist that she'd help people fill out disability paperwork for $200. She claimed in her ad that she knew "exactly what the paperwork needs to say to be approved" (I'm not saying she's one of the professionals that posty is talking about, just saying she did in fact advertise that.

She's no more disabled than I am. She's just a lazy tramp that lays in the house eating cake all day.

A feller I met down cappys way was gettin a free ride on the govt tit as well.... Nice guy, but he didn't seem 100% disabled to me.

Here's a link to an article that has the data and the numbers on it.

http://www.nber.org/bah/fall06/w12436.html

BKB

She decided she couldn't sleep at night, and therefore couldn't work.
    So, why can't she work the night shift Arty?

Ummm, I notice you didn't answer ANY of my questions Posty.

I can't sleep either, I'm headed to catch Stripers all day...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I can't sleep either, I'm headed to catch Stripers all day...
    You mean FISH for Stripers ... CATCHING Stripers is a whole 'nuther ballgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    You mean FISH for Stripers ... CATCHING Stripers is a whole 'nuther ballgame.
    No, I said what I meant.. You catch when you go with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    No, I said what I meant.. You catch when you go with me.
    Of course I'd catch 'em ... I'm a terror on the water with my Mitchell 300 and K-mart rod ... now YOU "catching" is another story and ain't really a given.

If that is one of those real old Mitchell 300 that has the rear drag, you need to sell it to me. It needs to be in the hands of someone professional.

Fighting those big stripers is addicting isn't it Captain? I've never caught a really big one but the middling ones I've had a chance to catch will sure enough fight you to the very end.

BKB

Typical GH thread. From the "poor little refugee chillluns"...to the lazy good fer nuthin' bums sucking up all the disability monies...to fishing. I FORCED myself to read through these missives. I'll just not comment on this stuff except to say I hope y'all catch a mess of them stripers, Cap'n.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Sadly, I sold my TWO old Mitchells when I moved here from California. That was over 25 years ago. One was a 300 and I think the other was a 314 if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure I bought the 300 in the early to mid-60's (?). Don't remember when I bought the other one but I sold 'em both in '89 before I knew what I had.

I have a couple now .. the 300 and I think the other is the 308. They're just the new junk, but heck, all I need is a stick, a piece of string and an old safety pin to out-fish youse dufes!

Good luck on the stripers. But this thread has the most disingenuous, incorrect, falsely misleading, pile of claptrap on two separate subjects I have read here in a long time. I'm not going to say anything else, because I am ridiculed for every opinion I give here, even in threads I have no part in..........I'll give my opinion, but I won't get into a long discussion on it here. Email me if you want more. But this thread has severely reduced my opinion of the credibility of some folks.

Sheesh Bucky. Cry me a river, I'll send you a towel for those tears if'n ya' want. Sounds to me you're "ridiculing" whomever has posted on this tread, so what's the diff?

this thread has the most disingenuous, incorrect, falsely misleading, pile of claptrap on two separate subjects I have read here in a long time .... this thread has severely reduced my opinion of the credibility of some folks
    Say what you want, people will either agree or disagree. Nothing's changed. Gosh ... talk about a Debbie Downer.

Didn't you write this little blurb that's been on our homepage since we started this joint?

We are a tight knit group and love to pick on one another just like family. Please feel free to jump in with a question, comment or whatever.

Disagreeing with someone's point of view and acting all butt hurt are two entirely different things. If you disagree, then at least come out and say what it is. Instead, its this sniping.

BKB

Awww crap! Now I have to reverse the stand I was taking in this thread and actually agree with Posthole. Dang! That hurts!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    Typical GH thread. From the "poor little refugee chillluns"...to the lazy good fer nuthin' bums sucking up all the disability monies...to fishing. I FORCED myself to read through these missives. I'll just not comment on this stuff except to say I hope y'all catch a mess of them stripers, Cap'n.
    Yeah I like to see a few pics of some big stripers myself.

I was going to accept your hint to switch topics to college football earlier... but then I remembered that college football is an even more volatile subject than politics. Besides I ain't sure what kind of teams Wisconsin or West Virginia are going to field this season. Walk softly and all of that you know.

I guess everyone can draw their own conclusions. I knew when I posted what I did that it might rub some the wrong way. But it was anything but disingenuous. When Barry mentioned some similar experiences to mine I just chipped in with what I've seen. And again, I was not talking about rational, sane conservatives. I'm talking about the rabid, unthinking, wingnuts that I've known. Most of them that I know personally are bums who try to pin their own shortcomings on others.

Will