Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trading Post/Sale Update

Overkill on a dual-axle trailer ... unless you're gonna be haulin' broken down 4WD Fords & Chevies out'a the woods with it.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Even then with a full tank of gas you ain't gonna get over 5,000 to 6,000 pounds...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Yeah ... just raggin'. I'd wouldn't think that frame would stand up haulin' cars anydamnway. I assume it's a "light-duty" trailer. The springs/axles may support it ... not sure the trailer itself would stand up to the task though. I don't know if it's all angle or if there's a box frame underneath. It's sure a nice looker though. What is the weight limit Buckster?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

Load D is probably ok. It has POS tires on it now. They are C. It's not just the weight that the trailer will carry that is at issue....it's the strength of sidewall, flex in turns and backing and turning and such. And tread wear also but that's another issue.

Cappy's tire example above is wrong size. I have 15", 205-75X15 is what's on it, but they are cheapo tires. I can get Maxxis ST205-75-R15's for about $120.00. If I do that in a year, I don't need an expensive spare, just a spare of some kind if same size.

And I'm either blind, stupid, old, or all the above. All four wheels have new bearing buddies that came on the trailer!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Dang, run those tires 'til you need new ones. Heck, you're just haulin' 4-wheelers and camping stuff. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get all the fixation on tires right from the get-go ... unless you have a dealer who's going to give you a heck of a trade allowance for the take-offs. Sheesh, what it all boils down to is it's "just" a utility trailer. Maybe I'm just not as "sensitive" when it comes to tires .. but then, I've never once blown a tire on my trailer either. Heck, the neighbors use it more than me. One just borrowed it to move his son to North Carolina and had that thing LOADED. All those trips I took to Tallahassee were on I-75/I-10 at 75 mph ... never a problem (knock on wood). I've hauled it loaded with two 4-wheelers and camping gear to NORTHERN Ontario, Canada and back 3 times ... from FLORIDA. I'm either the luckiest sob on earth, or youse dufes are overly paranoid when it comes to "light/medium duty" trailer tires. Those FOUR 205-75X15's are more tire than most cars are running on these days. I may be pushing it, but I'm still running the stock bias-ply's that came on mine when I bought it, but you should be able to haul a dang house on yours. I prolly won't have too many people agreeing with me here, but IMHO this tire deal is much ado over nothing. Quit reading all those blogs on the net and go out and haul some shit with that thing before it puts you in the poorhouse.

As my SEAL buddy would say ... "Quit trying to brain-fuck it to death!"

Slow down.

Try reading from the first. I SAID (repeatedly) that I was gonna do just that. Run these for a year, or whatever it took to wear 'em out.

OK?

And ST tires don't do well with bias ply. They don't in my Travel Trailer, they don't in my boat, and they don't in my utility trailers. If they do for you, fine and danderoo! Goody for you!

all I EVER said was that I was thinking (not needing a decision, just thinking about) whether to buy the SPARE to match what I had, or the SPARE to match what I might buy later. That's it. Nothing more.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Can I have your "old worn out tires" after a year?

I don't know ... I must be the luckiest man alive when it comes to tires. I bought my trailer new in 2000. It still has the original tires with elebenty-bazillion miles on 'em and they look almost new. It's hardly ever parked as everyone in the neighborhood knows, if they need a trailer, just leave a note on my door, hook up and take it. I just got it back last week because I needed to load a bunch of trash from that tree that fell down in my back yard. I don't think the wheels ever stop turning on that thing and all I've done to it is pack the wheel bearings about 2 years ago. Ya' know, now that I think about it, I'll bet it's a TOYOTA trailer!

I'll have to take a pic of my tires tomorrow as it's storming here now and almost dark. I guess what I'm having trouble grasping is ... to me ... yours will still be "new" next year.

If so, fine. I won't replace them then!!! The guy that sold me the trailer admitted they were POS and that they'd last about a year. If he's wrong, and you're right, I'm ahead. As I said, the ONLY question I have had was what kind of spare to buy.

Heck, put anything on there. Who ever needs a spare these days anyway?

Get one'a those donuts out of a junk car somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    If so, fine. I won't replace them then!!! The guy that sold me the trailer admitted they were POS and that they'd last about a year. If he's wrong, and you're right, I'm ahead. As I said, the ONLY question I have had was what kind of spare to buy.
    And I guess I've done a piss poor job explaining how I was trying to answer your question...
    I got and still get that you never were going to replace the tires that came on it. Like you I would not either. I'd run them till they were gone.
    What I've been unsuccessfully trying to say is since you are saying you will probably replace them with radial tires when you wear them out, if it were me I'd go ahead and buy a spare tire and wheel in a RADIAL now. It will not matter one bit if you have a flat with one of the POS tires you have and you run a radial spare in its place and the other three non-radial as long as the profile is the same (or close)
    Perhaps I'm wrong but somewhere in this thread I thought you were considering buying a bios spare "for now"
    That is the part I would not do. I'd buy a spare that would match what you are going to have in the future.
    Maybe I said it right now.

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

With Bucky's luck, he'd buy a spare that he planned to match up later, then by time he needs to replace his tires, that brand/style on his spare would be discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    And I guess I've done a piss poor job explaining how I was trying to answer your question...
    I got and still get that you never were going to replace the tires that came on it. Like you I would not either. I'd run them till they were gone.
    What I've been unsuccessfully trying to say is since you are saying you will probably replace them with radial tires when you wear them out, if it were me I'd go ahead and buy a spare tire and wheel in a RADIAL now. It will not matter one bit if you have a flat with one of the POS tires you have and you run a radial spare in its place and the other three non-radial as long as the profile is the same (or close)
    Perhaps I'm wrong but somewhere in this thread I thought you were considering buying a bios spare "for now"
    That is the part I would not do. I'd buy a spare that would match what you are going to have in the future.
    Maybe I said it right now.

My bad, Cappy. I did NOT get that from what you said. I do now. Thanks, that helps.

I'm swamped today.............Just today I have sold the small 5X10 trailer, the muzzleloader, my 9MM Beretta, an ATV bag, two Kolpin ATV gun boots, and gotten two offers on Ebay for b/s I'm selling. I have to meet a guy 40 miles away at 10:00 a.m. and then another guy back this way another 40 later, and then......and then...

Whew.

So, I'm discombobulated. Lots of stuff sold though. And assuming funds are received, the new trailer is paid for.

Speaking of trailers, today, a buddy told me about new 5x10 trailers at this place....
    """Ronnie's Trailer and Equipment Mfg. - Kosciusko, MS - We have the best prices on 5x10 utility trailers - $515 +tax - ph. (662) 290-6119"""
    Might be a piece of junk, but even so, I don't see how he can build them that cheap.
    Bucky, what'd you pay for the one you just sold???
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 08-25-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Here what I said earlier in the thread. It's the same thing only different.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Read REAL slow... Go to NORTHERN TOOL get a RADAIL tire and wheel for close to or less than you can buy the tire for else where. No mounting charges etc.... Now you got a spare tire and wheel. What the hell does it matter of the tire don't have the same tread pattern. It's a SPARE.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Speaking of trailers, today, a buddy told me about new 5x10 trailers at this place....
    """Ronnie's Trailer and Equipment Mfg. - Kosciusko, MS - We have the best prices on 5x10 utility trailers - $515 +tax - ph. (662) 290-6119"""
    Might be a piece of junk, but even so, I don't see how he can build them that cheap.
    Yeah Edward, we have a company down here that does the same (about the same price if I remember correctly). I ran over to look at 'em when I saw the ad. It was a nice little trailer for light duty work, but I wouldn't think of hauling anything heavy. His had 3 choices, THIN (1X I think) pine floor, 1/2" plywood floor or a thin expanded metal floor. The bed was straight angle ... EVERYTHING was angle except the axle and there was no tailgate (just a box trailer with something like 12" open sides. The trailer tongue was just single square tubing with no side braces ... etc. etc. Again, if you just wanted something to putz around hauling leaves in the yard or stuff like that, it was a dang good deal. I don't think I'd have had a problem just hauling a lone 4-wheeler (or riding lawn mower) ... but not sure I'd load it down with fuel, coolers, camping gear, etc. etc. Throw that stuff in the bed of the truck, put the 4-wheeler on the trailer and roll. ('course it didn't have a loading ramp/tailgate either) For any half way serious hauling ... I'd have to pass. I guess ya' gets what ya' pay for ... just depends on what you need it for. Still a dang good deal for sumpin' light to have on hand.

Regardless of whatever wheels and tires you guys decide to put on your trailers, be sure and lock those bad boys up. Man around here for some reason they love to steal trailers. There must be fast and easy money for stolen trailers because I know three or four people personally who've gotten their trailers stolen in the past year. Is there no registration or serial numbers or something that makes them easy money?
    Friggin' thieves! I hate 'em.
    BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Depends on whether they are pipe or angle iron, to some degree.

I paid $745, but mine is heavy pipe, plus a solid metal floor. Hard to find. That was over 10 years ago. The same guy's son is still in business, one of the best welding shops in 5 counties, but he's high. He could build the exact same trailer as what I got.........but his price is a whopping $645 more!

Cappy, I said I read your previous posts wrong. My bad. I'll think about a spare later. Next week. Sometime. (Probably right after I have a flat).

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Regardless of whatever wheels and tires you guys decide to put on your trailers, be sure and lock those bad boys up. Man around here for some reason they love to steal trailers. There must be fast and easy money for stolen trailers because I know three or four people personally who've gotten their trailers stolen in the past year. Is there no registration or serial numbers or something that makes them easy money?
    Friggin' thieves! I hate 'em.
    BKB
    already got the log chain to go through the wheels. Thanks!

LOL .....

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    already got the log chain to go through the wheels. Thanks!
    Ha ha! My neighbor came over a couple weeks ago and asked if I wanted to sell my trailer, 'cause he wanted to buy it. I told him no. I couldn't imagine life without a trailer. He then said if I sold it to him, I could borrow it anytime I needed it. (He had a "funny" look on his face.) He then said, "Dang! I was hoping you'd sell it to me so I wouldn't have to show you what I did to it." Huh? He'd left it parked in his driveway, wrapped a chain through the wheel and up around the fender and top rail and pad-locked it. The next morning he went out to use it, hopped in his truck and pulled out of his driveway. I'll give you one guess as to why one wheel was locked up.

It bent up the fender pretty good, but he did a good job of straightening it. He wanted to pay for the damages but I figured, heck, it's almost 15 years old, I can live with it. I just wish it'd been the other side ... I bent THAT fender years ago when I got a bit too close to a pine tree. Oh well, at least they match now.

Don't those trailer tongue locks work about as good as anything? I suppose about any measure you take is really just keeping honest folks honest. If a thievin' bastard wants it, they're gonna figure out a way to steal it.

BKB

Mine's been sitting beside my house for 15 years with no lock. (knock on wood) I always tell the neighbors to leave a note on my door if they borrow it so I'll know it hasn't been stolen, but they always just call or ring the doorbell anyway. The neighbor who had it the other day didn't have a tongue lock so just used a chain and padlock ... it works just as well ... as long as you remember to take it off before trying to drive away with it.

Got a trailer tongue lock too. But if a thief sees chain around the wheel AND a lock, he usually leaves. Thieves are pretty lazy.