Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading Post/Sale Update

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

Trading Post/Sale Update

Boys and girls............I feel like Thump. (No, that's not true. He feels with his thumbs. So never mind)

I cleaned out my garage. Some of you saw the original pic of the PILE of stuff. Tightline bought one thing, I got one thing from the pile to Niner, etc. I used that pic on here to test how to put it up at my Arkansas hunting Trading Post.

I had two goals. One was to finally make enough room out there to actually walk around, and to find stuff when I wanted to go fishing or hunting. But the other was to buy a bigger trailer. Ed told me a while back "Boy, EVERY southern guy has a 16' trailer" and it made me feel bad, and insignificant, and poor. Really hurt my feelings.

So......I put all this stuff for sale at that Trading Post website. Sold about $600 worth right off. Then it slacked off. So I rethought, and put some stuff on Ebay, with Jim's help. So far I have one bid. Meanwhile, I've sold another gun, my small trailer, and some other stuff. Most of the big, bulky items are gone, which really alleviates my storage problem.

As of today, I have sold over $2,000 worth of stuff. So, I got a new trailer.........it's probably more than I need just to haul an ATV to deer camp or the farm, but I have plans to move stuff from/to the Farm in the future, and this is sorta like my big diesel truck. It's the last trailer I'll ever need.

Brand new, dual axle, elec brakes, 3,500 lb axles, each, pipe top, bulldog hitch.

I put a wheeled trailer jack on it, and set my hard-sided truck case in it. (Can't decide whether to bolt it onto the trailer floor or sides yet). But now........it's paid for!! Woo Hoo.

Still have one big ticket item...........9mm Beretta, and one old Knight ML for sale........and the rest is just garage sale stuff, except for the 15 items for sale on Ebay. Won't know for a week if they sell. If they all sell, I've made out like a bandit.

Here's the trailer.

WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    I'm jealous. I need a trailer and we've been talking about it for a year now.
    I need one we can load the bike on or all my yard brush and garbage cans to the dump.
    Tired of putting it in the back of my covered pickup.
    Enjoy it Bucky!!!

Good deal Bucky! Glad I could help you de-clutter just a tad.

I know you've been wanting to get a 16 footer for a while now.....and you financed it by cleaning out you garage of stuff you no longer needed/wanted. Here here!!!! Good show.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

That's a dang nice rig there Buckster. I think my trailer is about 15 years old now and I swear it's paid for itself 100 times ... I don't know how I ever got along without one before I bought it. But one thing gripes the crap out'a me ... why the "f" don't they install hooks on the side rails to hook tie-downs on? Heck, mine's a PITA and I've wanted to weld hooks on the top rail for years, but didn't want to burn the paint. At least mine is angle ... that round rail is nice, but even tougher to hook a tie-down to. It seems like such a no-brainer.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

The one I'm selling has U type hooks bolted on, sort of like a U-bolt. One in each corner.

Look closely. The one I got has solid angle iron bolted onto the outside of each corner, for tying down.

Performance Trailers, Hot Springs, AR. WAY better and WAY cheaper than anything I've found. And I've looked for years.

The round pipe is much stronger and won't flex in a heavy load.

I still can't decide whether to drill holes in my new floor and bolt the Contico storage box on............ hmmm .... I did use 1/2 gallon of Thompson's Water Seal on it the day I brought it home.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Oh, I had a diamond plate tool box in the garage and bolted it on the front of my trailer (to the floor). It takes up 2' of trailer length but more than makes up for it in convenience ... especially since it locks. I have a bottle jack, tire tool, different sized hitch balls, tie-downs, tool box, rags/towels, emergency (reflective) triangles, jumper cables, tow strap, first aid kit, heck, there might even be a kitchen sink in there! I have tons of stuff that I leave in that box at all times. I have the spare bolted right in front (o/s the top rail) above the tongue. I love the set-up.

That's one thing I need to consider, and soon. A spare tire and spare holder.

I need to figure out how to A) bolt on the Contico storage box but B) not allow the front of the ATV to crush into it (like it did my old trailer, and bent it bad).

I'm thinking maybe (???????) a "Louisiana Guard Dog"??????? Advice solicited on this topic.

Oh, before you ask. There is NO room to bolt it onto the tongue, in front of the rail......because of that brace, showing in the picture.

Guess we were posting at the same time. I'm not sure I see the angle iron you're talking about. Mine has angle also, but it's still not something I can actually HOOK on to ... like a hook, or hole/slot, whatever. Sometimes I want to be able to run a strap forward and tie the load down instead of simply running the strap/hook at a 90 degree angle to the load. (does that make sense?) I can run it to an upright support, but they're usually not where I want them. Also the edge of the angle tends to cut into the strap after time. Also, if I simply hook onto the angle iron railing, the hook will many times come loose as the load bounces and takes the load off the strap-hooks. I'm sure a trailer as nice as yours has something I'm simply not seeing. Mine was a budget trailer (14" wheels/tires on a single axle) but it's all I really need.

I really like those diamond plate fenders also. Nice rig.

Pics texted to ya.

As for spare tire, I'm in a quandry.

The tires on it are bias ply. I talked to the guy, and he said "If I sell good ST Radials, I can't compete on cost". So I knew what I was getting. He told me straight up "These'll last a year". I'm sure he's right. Then I can get good Maxxis ST205/75-R15's.

BUT, till then, I don't want to go buy a spare tire and wheel that's biased ply and then not need it later...............or buy a spare good radial and it not be usable well the first year.

Hmmmm.

Dang!!

Guess I also need bearing buddies! Geez. Nickle and diming myself to death.

Ok, got the pics. I saw those in the pic above and thought they were 2X4 brackets to add "pole siding" for loose loads or sumpin. Those would work fine, I just don't know why they don't put some sort of simple eye-hooks all along the side rail to give you a zillion choices of where to secure the load ... especially with multiple items to strap down. Oh well.

Yeah, I'm pushing my luck on tires I suppose. They're the originals (ST's) and have served me well. I prolly have a bazillion miles on those tires and they show almost NO tread wear. I took it to Tallahassee probably 50 times back when I was running around with Gator, and that's a 600 mile round trip every time. The tires look flawless ... but they are old and I know I should replace them simply due to the time factor. I don't need pricey radials though.

I wouldn't have a BOAT trailer without bearing buddies ... but do you really need them on a utility trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Ok, got the pics. I saw those in the pic above and thought they were 2X4 brackets to add "pole siding" for loose loads or sumpin. Those would work fine, I just don't know why they don't put some sort of simple eye-hooks all along the side rail to give you a zillion choices of where to secure the load ... especially with multiple items to strap down. Oh well.

Yeah, I'm pushing my luck on tires I suppose. They're the originals (ST's) and have served me well. I prolly have a bazillion miles on those tires and they show almost NO tread wear. I took it to Tallahassee probably 50 times back when I was running around with Gator, and that's a 600 mile round trip every time. The tires look flawless ... but they are old and I know I should replace them simply due to the time factor. I don't need pricey radials though.

I guess you could do that. Hadn't thought of that. But they work as well as eye hooks (which the trailer I'm selling has)........and there are 6 of these.

Still dunno what to do about spare tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I wouldn't have a BOAT trailer without bearing buddies ... but do you really need them on a utility trailer?
    I dunno. Do I?

Why not? Don't the bearings need greased too?

My spare is bolted right in front of where your box is, but I don't have that center support. That kills all that space between the box and the jack. They make bolt on brackets to mount the spare on the tongue rail or side rail depending on how much turning clearance you have at the tongue. Not ideal, but about your only option it appears.

Heck, it looks like you might have room to bolt it to that center support. Or isn't there enough space for the wheel/tire to fit there? (that thing looks like it has 15" tires ... it may be tight)

Most spares are mounted like this on trailers with the diagonal center brace....think that's what Thump might be saying, too.

brt.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

I have 6 utility trailers, Tilt beds and tailgate models.
    I have Bearing buddies on everyone of them.
    I never buy tires. I go to Northern tools and buy the rim and tire combo and yes they are radials.
    They also have the spare tire mounts there.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Yeah, I just bought one of those aftermarket "universal" tire mount thingies. It works great and looks like it came as part of the trailer. Yeah, if it'll fit where Eddie has the circles, it would be perfect. It can hang down a tad below the tongue if the tire is too big. I can't really tell if that is a tight fit or not. Otherwise, you may have to mount it on a side rail between the wheels and the front of the trailer.

Um......I'm not worried about WHERE to mount a spare tire. I have several choices.

My concern is whether to do without a spare for a year or so till these POS tires wear out, and I get radials, and THEN get a good matching wheel and radial tire........OR to 'waste' money and get a biased ply spare and wheel which won't match if/when I get radials later.

Read REAL slow...
    Go to NORTHERN TOOL get a RADAIL tire and wheel for close to or less than you can buy the tire for else where. No mounting charges etc....
    Now you got a spare tire and wheel.
    What the hell does it matter of the tire don't have the same tread pattern. It's a SPARE.
    I NEVER buy tires for my trailer. I buy tires AND rims. And replace both. I've probably got 20 or more wheels and wore out tires between home and the SC farm.
    By the time you buy a tire pay someone to mount and balance and pay the disposal fees it's more cost effective to just buy new tires and rims every time...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Yeppers ... that's what I did for the spare on my trailer. I used to do the same on my boats. Heck, I "think" I bought mine at Wally World. The paint and pinstripe on the wheels even matched mine.

Yep I do my boat trailers the same way. Just replace the wheel and tires.
    The wheels and tires you can buy at Wally World and Northern tool are the same as the trailer manufactures buy. Northern Tool buys in such large lots it's cheaper to replace that to buy tires and change those out. And you end up with a butt load of spares over the years.

Bucky. I texted you

Oooooooo. Felt good.

Here you go Bucky image-1403574963.jpg image-1762775681.jpg

And your trailer jack. With a trailer that long be sure to use double tires... image-2152383267.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks.

Double wheel trailer jack already on there. First thing I did.

Those are not exact size, and load range C. I'm looking for Load Range E, a 10 ply..........but I think I'm gonna wait and risk it for a few months. Thanks,though.

Load range E on twin 3500 pound axles? WTF

I cold see it on 8 or 9,000 pound axles but on 3,500????

Ya' beat me to it Cappy. Now THAT'S overkill!

Serious. I run load range C on a single axle drop gate 12' trailer I have hauling a John Deere 850 tractor and bush hog.