Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just now...

Just now...

image-3028110207.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Nice

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Nice mass on that rack!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    That's one for the wall. You are gonna have to clear a space for it. Dang that is a nice buck!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    What CD said.. Congrats!
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Thems some thick horns!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    poor deer

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Unique looking critter, more pictures needed.

No I'm not going to mount him. Got a house full now. My taxidermist want the cape and will mount the "horns" on a plaque for me in trade. Been doing that for years.
    Just got done getting him out (deep gulley) and dealing with him. I'm about whooped. Between them Stripers jerking me around yesterday and killing deers today I'm taking tomorrow off!!!!
    image-3374361362.jpg
    image-1068026821.jpg

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

YOU DA MAN, BRO. !!!!!!!!!!
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    what happened to that bum shoulder?
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Crossbow or shootin iron????????

Neither Fido. Look at that second set of pics. It's obvious, no hole, no blood ... all he has to do is ugly 'em to death!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Goin' by the time stamp, it looks like 10 mins. before the official time of sunset. Must'a got him early, like right after he arrived at his stand for the night's hunt.

Bite me Thumper...
    That's a crossbow kill.
    About 6:30 yesterday afternoon a really nice 10 point came in with two does. The 10 was a basket rack very nice and even, but small. I'm hoping the game camera made a picture of him. I was trying to pick out which doe I was going to shoot when this guy shows up way back. Gave him some time and he finally came in where the 10 and does were. He finally got right for a bow shot.
    Actually gun season is in at the SC farm but I usually bow hunt till about Mid-October before I break out the cannon..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Hmmmm. Not sure why I hadn't thought of this.

You wanna pay me for the cast iron pile I've accumulated for you??? Here's my offer:

I bring it to you in my very limited window of opportunity this fall.............and we go out to the farm and you shoot me a deer and cape it out.......two would be better!!!.....and I bring the cape(s) back to FIX the two I have on the wall where the hair is falling out and have my taxidermist fix them.

OR, if it would not be more expensive........I bring the two that the hair is falling out, we do the above, and YOUR taxidermist fixes them.

AND, I leave the cast iron and come home.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Looks to be a big bodied deer. What'd he weigh in at?

And Jim, if he'd have uglied it to death the meat would be too tore up to even mess with. That'd be some serious trauma right there.

BKB

Cap, did you happen to have that buck you killed on your game camera???
    Nice big thick antlers....good to have those genetics in your herd.
    Southern Gentleman

Bucky it would make more sense to break your mount apart and unscrew the horn plate and remount. The taxidermist cannot reuse the form anyway because the old hide is glued to it. If it ain't you should not use that taxidermist again. On a remount the only thing you can reuse is the "horns" and eyes. And I personally would not reuse the eyes. If it's been mounted any length of time the glass eyes they have now are much better.
    My guy would be about $550 on the mount. (Ballpark)
    I give him 5 or 6 capes a year.

Posty that booger weighed in at the processors at 193. Which to the northern boys might not sound great but in this country anytime you are dancing around 200 lbs you got something.
    Oh and Bite me!
    Eddie I've got a bunch of game cam pictures of him and the 10 but they are in velvet. It looks like he had just shed a couple of days ago.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    So Cappy, is the 193 field-dressed or with the innards still in?

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    So Cappy, is the 193 field-dressed or with the innards still in?
    Live weight. I know that's not much to you western boys. But that a nice size Bambi out here. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

That's a big deer in anybody's book Captain! He's obviously been on the Larke Plyler High Protein Stock Finishing Diet you've got them all on with those 18 feeders. Hell, he's probably ate $100 worth of your corn.

That'll make for some good victuals right there buddy.

BKB

I took today off to catch up on the farm some. This morning bought 6, 55 gallon barrels of corn and just finished bagging them up in feed sacks to resupply my stash of corn. That's 2,250 pounds of corn. That's about what I go through a month on the farm and hunt club together. I normally keep 16, 55 gallon barrels full here for my supply.
    These hogs and Deers are gonna break me. :-)

Just wondering but have you ever thought of creating any of those mineral licks like some folks do with salt or that deer cocaine stuff? I know where there are a few natural deer licks back home and man they get in there and root up the ground like nobody's business. Supposed to be good for antler growth isn't it?

BKB

Did you ever consider Kroger? Beef is high ... but it would be a LOT cheaper ... and a LOT less work!

Jeepers, groceries are getting so high these days subsistence hunting, fishing, and farming is starting to look like a reality for some people. Its seriously getting stupid high. and nobody is saying a word about it. Strange if you ask me. I've always thought that the proce of food is seriously rigged. There's no correlation between supply and demand to speak of. There's some of it has to do with the drought we've been having in our part of the country I guess, but honestly I gotta think something ain't right. If it's rigged, then rig it so it ain't so damned expensive will ya?

BKB

I normally buy the trace mineral salt block and set them out. And yes when they melt from rain if the soil is that red clay they will dig one heck of a hole in the ground. Works best in the summer but does not hurt to put it out anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    what happened to that bum shoulder?
    Sorry I missed this? What bum shoulder mine or HIS. :-)

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    wasn't too long ago you were gonna have to give up computer sex and bow hunting because you were crippled in one of your wings. Apparently, you've recovered, musta took postholes advice and rubbed a little dirt on it
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I had one shoulder rotor cuff surgery in 97 and I think you are talking about last year. I had surgery on the other one and rehab in February and March of this year.
    I'm all good to go! :-)