Thread: Dang Mini-Bear

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Dang Mini-Bear

I've killed all kinds of little to average raccoons in my time, but this isn't one of them. Dang thing looked like a mini-bear. You know it's pretty darn big when the back foot is right at the top of the fence post and the nose is darn near on the ground. This bugger had been stealing chicken feed and killing chickens on a friend of mine's place. The little 17HMR brought a stop to that. Unfortunately it took 3 shots. The first one just ticked him off. The second one slowed him down, and the third finally took him out. Darn tough critter.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Whew.. that would go as a 5X.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Sky, that is one of the biggest I've ever seen, but not too big for eating....remove the musk glands, and brine him for a couple of days....leg quarters, loins, taters, carrots, celery, onions, jalapeno peppers, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup in a big crockpot for 10 hours....served over basmati or jasmine rice, and you got yourself some fine eating.
    Southern Gentleman

Big Muddy, I can't hardly stand to be around this thing. He stinks! I've killed 4 or 5 raccoons in the last couple weeks. They were all average sized and none of them smelled like this big greasy thing. I've got him my freezer and I'm dreading skinning him out. In fact, I might have a friend of mine do it as the smell really turns my stomach.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Man, that thing is a BRUTE!

As you mentioned BS, they can be tough and darned MEAN too, especially if they get sick of you chasing them or you've got their toes in a trap.

Are you going to sell it or get the hide tanned? I'm guessing his noggin will be cleaned and whitened as well?

Kind of gives you an idea of where the expression "Ornrier than a boar coon' comes from.

BKB

Bwana, he was ornery. The first shot knocked him down and pissed him off. However he shook it off and took off like a shot. The next shot got his spine and took out his rear running gear. I was then able to work my way around broadside to him and put one through his lungs. All the while, from the first shot to the last, he was growling, bearing his teeth, and carrying on. Even after putting one through his lungs he took a while to die. Very tough critter.

Sky, sounds like you pre-tenderized him, and not enough meat to bother with.
    They are good eating, however, but the young sows are the best, especially the grain-fed ones that have been hanging around the corn feeders.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Sky, that is one of the biggest I've ever seen, but not too big for eating....remove the musk glands, and brine him for a couple of days....leg quarters, loins, taters, carrots, celery, onions, jalapeno peppers, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup in a big crockpot for 10 hours....served over basmati or jasmine rice, and you got yourself some fine eating.
    Sounds to me the recipe you list above has enough stuff in it to cover the taste of about anything.... Hell I got an old pair of boots that might even taste good in all that crap!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Think I'd rather eat the boot.

That's a biggun!
    But I wouldn't eat it either.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Good grief.

That's the biggest coon I've seen since Otis Sistrunk.

Forgive me, Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Good grief. That's the biggest coon I've seen since Otis Sistrunk.
    Jesse and Al are headed to your house, with CNN and the Rainbow Coalition in tow.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Jesse and Al are headed to your house, with CNN and the Rainbow Coalition in tow.
    Bucky's not home. Reroute them to his deer camp. Bucky will put them to work planting food plots.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Jesse and Al down here with these Neanderthals. The thought made my day. Thanks.