Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Been a Long Road

It's Been a Long Road

I've traveled a sometimes very bumpy road over the last 3 years, learning from mistakes, working hard to repair things I had broken, making new mistakes and trying to recover some significant losses. I've done a pretty fair job of it, I think.

A house is just a pile of materials and isn't a measure of success or failure but... it is a little metaphorical in a way.

Settling next week and hopefully moving things forward to even better times.

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

Oh and... all 6 of us have been living in a small apartment while construction is finished so there's that
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Don't know what all you have been through but glad to hear that things are looking up for you and yours. (The fact that all 6 of you are still alive after the past 6 months in an apartment is quite an accomplishment itself. Congrats )

As for the house, that is one fine looking dwelling and I have no doubt you guys will turn it into a very fine HOME in no time. Enjoy sir!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    If you can survive the apartment, you can survive anything. Nice looping homestead!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I didn't mean that to sound as "woe is me" as it did

It's all good. I know the builder will be glad to get rid of my ass. I been up in their bidness since they poured the foundation. Going by every night to see what had been done and letting them know what needed to be corrected I actually saved them a good chunk of money by pointing out things that were much less expensive to correct at the time, instead of when we were supposed to actually inspect.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Congrats bud. Very nice house and better news.

Nice job! congrats! On ALL fronts!

BKB

Good on you LJ!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Congrats - that is a really nice looking place. We did the same thing and stayed in an apartment when we made the move to Seattle. It sure makes you appreciate a house.

Does this mean we can go fishing again soon?

You know I know how cool this is - and I'm mighty happy for ya!

You know I'm not far if you need a hand moving your crap!

In the immortal words of George Carlin, 'One person's shit is another person's stuff.'

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Nice looking digs', enjoy
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Len, what type of roofing material is that?

BKB

Those are shingles.

You're welcome.

Look at the far left corner in pic #2 P-hole (where the sun hits it) ... looks like shingles to me.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Well, I know they're shingles. I was wondering if they were asphault composition shingles or if they were maybe made out of rubber. Lots of builders using it nowadays and its supposed to last forever. MY house is 17 years old almost so I probably have a roof in my relatively near future.

BKB

You're so much smarter'n me.

Nice looking digs LJ. You got a spare room for an out of town Ribber fishing guest?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    Really nice house!!
    Sure do put those houses close together.

I've gotta have space between my house and the others.

Right now I have lots on each side of mine.
    Will never build on them as long as I live here, which is about 7 more years.

Then gunna sell the whole thing and move to eastern wa.
    Going to buy at least ten acres, for the new place.

Sure is nice though!!
    Hope your family makes wonderful memories and enjoys it for years.

Shingles are asphalt but composite, too. They look like asphalt up close and but kinda rubbery as well. They're way thinner so I was dubious until I picked one up and started working it, seems pretty durable.

Yes, we gots plenty-o-room. You can't tell from the front but it's a 4 level house, We got a loft option that has a full bath, bedroom and little side room up there. So yes on fishing lodge accommodations or any other accommodations.

George Carlin was a geenus. I have 15X25 and a 15x30 storage units that are packed top to bottom all the way back that I'm moving this weekend. Then we're getting movers to move the apartment stuff to the house.

Egg, hopefully I can wet a line very soon! We're right up against best fishing of the year round these here parts!

Looks like some nice digs, my man.

Izzat on a basement? What kind of siding?
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Yeah, concrete foundation and a slab. Vinyl siding. It's a cool gray color but you can't really tell from the iphone pics.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Now I have to ask how a slab house can have four levels, I can see three, but 4?
    Unless there is a room behind the garage that's on the same level as the garage floor then I guess you can say 4.
    Why no basements or crawl space down there?
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

JB, it's a finished basement. Poured concrete foundation. Maybe I'm not using the right terminology. They pour concrete in to the forms for all the basement walls, then once that cures they pour the slab, then finish it with normal stud and drywall work. It's a walk out basement. In the front you enter on the 2nd level. then 3rd level is all the BRs, then the loft runs across the "rear-middle" of the house, left to right.

So basically overlay the loft piece right over the middle of the 3rd floor piece.

house 1.JPG
    house 2.JPG

That's a cool floor plan. If'n it were me though, I'd have to have a kitchen.

I'm not sure how to count "floors". All I know is if you start in the basement, you have to walk up four full flights of stairs to get to the loft which pretty much sucks

The part I AM most excited about is the kitchen. It ROCKS. Man-o-man material things don't matter but the kitchen does

Granite counter tops, big eat-in island, all GE Profile Stainless appliances, gas cook top, double wall ovens (one is convection) and a refrigerator that seems to have a theme song

Got a 30 amp breaker I can plug to in the driveway?

Six bedrooms? What, you opening a whorehouse?

BKB

Orphanage.

Doggone buddy, now that you told a little bit more about it, it sounds nicer and nicer! I love that the laundry is on the same level as the bedrooms....and smack in the middle of them in fact. And, that Opt Retreat would make a killer sewing room for the ladies....unless it's slated for someone's bedroom.

Sounds like the basement is finished out into rooms, or at least the perimiter walls have sheetrock on them. You gonna make a workshop down there? I love having my workshop and storage down in the basement!
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

It has no parlour. How can it be a proper house without a parlour, or a billi-ard room with the fancy pot passers and such.

BKB