Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote struck and lived in bumper for miles.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)

Coyote struck and lived in bumper for miles.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Seems like a .22 short (and not a wildlife rehabilitator) would be my response.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    hate 'em.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

They SAVED a coyote???? They should have called Big Sky....he'd have told them what to do with it.

My weird sense of humor immediately thought of this......

"Poor lil guy. He probably kept up with ya for a mile or so...."
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I saw that happen to a deer once, but it didn't live through the crash. I got dispatched to a car/deer crash and the guy said that he didn't know what happened to the deer. We found it jammed into the grill just like that 'yote.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Ok, I know I'm gonna get raked over the coals for this one. I ain't no coyote lover but looking at that pic does pull at my heart strings a bit. No matter how much I dislike a certain critter, I can't stand to see ANY animal suffer. In that pic, he looks docile and is obviously in pain with three broken legs ... not to mention how terrified he must have been in that position and whizzing down the highway inches from the pavement while locked in the jaws of some giant, steel beast!

On the other hand, it wouldn't have bothered me in the least if he'd been smashed to bits and splattered all over the highway.

I love deer hunting and have no problem shooting Bambi's. I will say, I want to make a clean kill as I'm sure all of us do ... but I have NO problem blasting away at them. BUT ... kinda like this coyote ... I was once on my way to Ohio for deer season and passed a young doe lying on the side of the road. She looked totally normal ... EXCEPT where she was laying. When I drove by, she made no attempt to get up, simply laid there and watched me pass by. Out of curiosity, I stopped, backed up the shoulder of the road, parked and approached her. As I approached, she got nervous and slowly got up. That's when I saw why she hadn't moved. She'd obviously been hit by a car and both her hind legs were broken OFF. She had two very short stubs of exposed bone for rear legs. One leg was completely gone, the other was dragging behind her attached by a thin piece of hide. She started walking upright on her front legs and "walking" on the short bone stubs of what used to be her hind legs. I'll be honest, I almost felt like crying as she looked so pitiful. I grabbed my .45 from the glove box, then walked up to her and dispatched her. Again, I was on my way to go kill a deer ... that's something I enjoy and have no problem doing. But the sight of that suffering doe was tough to take. I felt MUCH better once I'd shot her, but the compassion was there when the fear and suffering could be seen in her eyes.

Call me a pansy if you want .. but the article said he was very passive and in shock, so when I look at the pic of that 'yote ... that "compassionate" feeling pops back into my head.

That said ... if I'd walked up to him and he started growling, snarling and baring his teeth ... I'd have had no problem puttin' a .22 short in his noggin'.

Ok ... flame away you bunch'a cold-hearted, worthless dufebutts!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

This is a topic that I've thought about a lot over the past few years. For some reason, and I can't explain why, I have lost my desire to hunt and kill. I most certainly don't believe any differently than I did before about it and I really enjoy hearing about the hunting exploits of others. But for some reason it feels like I've killed enough animals in my lifetime to scratch whatever itch that caused me to love it in the first place. Hell, even 99% of my fishing nowadays is catch and release and the welfare of the fish I release is just as important to me as the care I took in getting them to the boat and not having to pay Keith a royalty on his patented 'Early Boatside Release Method' (only a quarter per release he says). I'll likely spend a day on a stand somewhere this deer season just to get out and do it and do the kind of daydreaming and important thinking (i.e. napping) that it seems you can only do on a deer stand on an autumn day, but its doubtful I'll feel like fooling with skinning, butchering, packaging and all the work work that comes along with a fat doe. Now if a big mossy horned buck were to come by......who knows?

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I'm a worthless, murderin', SOB..............heck, I even step on spiders.

Note to Admin:

Consider changing name of this place.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I firmly believe everyone of God's creatures deserves respect, and in this case, mercy. In this case, that would have been a bullet.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    You know despite all the goofing off around here, every once in a while some pretty deep thinking goes on. I'm not going to get into a long explanation as to "why", but Thumper and Barry I completely understand where you are coming from. I couldn't have said it any better in regards to how I feel towards animals these days.

Oh heck. OK, me too.

Well, except for cats.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

What BBP said... I DO have some strong demands for jerky this year so I may have to go get me a fat doe or something but I just don't know if I really want to do it any more. I will support and cheer for anyone that wants to do it, always have and always will. It's just that the "itch" or instinct to do it is gone from me at least for the time being.

I know we all agree that respect for the animals we harvest is always on our mind.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Well, I see there's a bit of a common thread here. As you all know, I have basically quit hunting also. It was pretty much forced on me when the economy tanked and I had to get a "real" job and had no vacation time accrued. Then my health tanked and I was no longer PHYSICALLY able to hunt for a few years. THEN reality hit and I was no longer physically able, but I was strapped financially also and traded/sold all my guns for services around the house that I am no longer physically able to do myself. So, it appears my hunting days are over. That said, I have many fond memories and a pile of nice heads on the wall as a reminder of earlier times ... all pleasant memories. BUT ... I really don't miss it. As said by others, I still enjoy the pics and stories of others here, but I just don't have the drive to get up at 4:00 am and head out into sub-freezing temps to sit in a tree and wait. Then, face the work involved with gutting, dragging, processing, etc. I do miss being in the woods and enjoying nature around me, but I've found alternatives to take the place of those moments.

I guess I can say I've killed my fair share of critters and totally enjoyed the hunts, but I'm fully "retired" now and have found alternatives. Heck, Lynn doesn't care for venison anyway, so I'd always go through all that work just to give the meat away anyway. I did the same with all the bear I've killed ... the meat was always donated to the locals and I'd end up with another rug and no place to put it.

I like backstraps. I like deer hunting. I like hunting. And fishing. I'm gonna do it all that I can, every chance I get.

I see a lot of older folks that get just like y'all. But it ain't hit me yet.

I TOTALLY understand Buckster. If I hadn't been able to come up with just as interesting alternatives, I'd miss the heck out of it ... but I'm staying busy with other things and don't dwell on it. 90% of hunting was the camaraderie with fellow hunters/friends ... but I have that same camaraderie when not hunting. In fact, I'm leaving in a few days to spend a week in Texas with a group of VERY close friends ... my old Army Intel. buddies.

These days, I'm fine with living vicariously through the pics and stories posted by youse worthless dufes.

Well you ain't livin' real well on MY pictures!!!

But I like both...........the camaraderie of camp and the hunting........and the hunting at the farm too, alone. I see a lot of neat things when I'm really alone.

Although I love being in the woods ... being alone isn't real big on my list of priorities. I'm a bit of a "people person" and actually like sharing time with friends I enjoy being around.

Yeah, but when I'm alone I always have a friend with me!!

(sorry, couldn't resist..........back to your regular programming........)

But that's your "LITTLE" friend!

I like those things too Bucky. Deer camp is one of the things that I always have looked forward to. The problem these days is finding affordable land to hunt on here. there's just not a lot available any more at an affordable price and I ain't gonna venture out into public land much in deer season any more.

BKB

Part of what I really like about hunting is the connection to the natural world. That includes the changing seasons and the land. This past year my long term lease fell apart and I am definitely feeling a bit of, I don't know, "ennui" about the approaching season. (Is that the right word?) I am hoping it's just that I'm going to miss marking the seasons on the same piece of ground. I'm also wondering if it's just that I need to hunt something different than deer for a while and I may focus more on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Part of what I really like about hunting is the connection to the natural world. That includes the changing seasons and the land. This past year my long term lease fell apart and I am definitely feeling a bit of, I don't know, "ennui" about the approaching season. (Is that the right word?) I am hoping it's just that I'm going to miss marking the seasons on the same piece of ground. I'm also wondering if it's just that I need to hunt something different than deer for a while and I may focus more on that.
    What's the former Hawaiian Senator got to do with what you're feeling?

This is confusing.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Ha ha ha! I used to have a regular customer in L.A. with the same name who'd usually sit in my office and b/s with me while there. He said his ancestry dates back to the samurai in Kyushu.

I've got a man crush on little old Asian men. Don't judge me, bro...

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    What BBP said... I DO have some strong demands for jerky this year so I may have to go get me a fat doe or something......
    Yep, and I remember some guy on here that promised me some of that jerky about a hunnert years ago....oh yeah, I remember, now, it was YOU !!!!!
    Southern Gentleman

CD;

I've got a man crush on little old Asian men. Don't judge me, bro...
    You like little Asian men? Have you ever considered moving to Thailand?

Here are a few "little Asian men" for you. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Yep, and I remember some guy on here that promised me some of that jerky about a hunnert years ago....oh yeah, I remember, now, it was YOU !!!!!
    If I ever kill a deer again Edward you are at the top of the list before my family!

I lost all my remaining venison in a tragic freezer failure I DO know I owe you and gave my word!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post

Note to Admin:

Consider changing name of this place.
    I pretty much gave up trying to talk hunting on this forum sometime ago.. I guess that's why I've become pretty much a lurker. I hate "ball" sports and watching people driving around in circles making noise. I like "listening" to all your purty mouths though.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

And me yours.

I don't care for myopia! (How's that? Can I be a writer now?).............. ha.

I like it all. I love (some) ball sports. I like hunting. I like fishing. I like wimmin. I like mentoring kids. I like spending time with my wife. I like camping. I like every kind of BBQ I've ever tasted. I will ride in any vehicle in current production. I don't like Democrats. That's about it.

lol.. Well Bucky, one of the most quoted lines from my recent interview was when the reporter asked me what it took to be a Hook and Bullet writer. I told him "A good line of bullshit and an understanding wife with a good job." And my "horizons" are pretty broad. I like both hunting *and* fishing.. and trapping and canoeing and bicycling and mushroom hunting and ginsenging and sex and.. in the words of you and Bubba Blue, "That's, that's about it."