Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Inmates are running the asylum.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

The Inmates are running the asylum.

Apparently, the CDC approved this second nurse flying home from Cleveland even though she had a low grade fever. The next day she was diagnosed with Ebola and now the CDC is considering asking the TSA to put everyone on their "watch list" on the "no fly" list. Some here may disagree, but this has been a cluster fuck from the get go.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Apparently, the CDC approved this second nurse flying home from Cleveland even though she had a low grade fever. The next day she was diagnosed with Ebola and now the CDC is considering asking the TSA to put everyone on their "watch list" on the "no fly" list. Some here may disagree, but this has been a cluster fuck from the get go.
    I totally agree. From bringing the first aid worker in to Atlanta to now...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Not only should those folks be on the no-fly zone but we should also not be allowing people into the country from known hot spots.

Just saw an article this morning that the US Embassy's in the three impacted countries are still processing 100 visas a day for non-US nationals.

Exactly

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Just saw an article this morning that the US Embassy's in the three impacted countries are still processing 100 visas a day for non-US nationals.
    That sure make a LOT of sense

There's been ebola breakouts since the 70's and no travel restrictions in any of the cases. and don't try to tell me there's more travelers now than in those other times. they say it will make the situation worse and I believe them.

We keep wanting to blame 'The CDC' like they're some friggin entity made up of robots or something. They're not. they're humans and human beings make mistakes. I don't know who approved that lady flying but I'm sure we'll find out soon and why. It was a stupid deal to not have her get tested first. and if we don't have an easy test for it after this many years of it being a problem, them something is very wrong with our medicine.

I do think that the CDC underestimated how quickly this could get out of hand. The expectation was that hospitals could quickly implement the protocols and it just hasn't happened that way.

BKB

According to Fax News, I'll be dead by lunch time.

Seriously, though. That plane made another 4 flights before being taken out of service. I'm not a fear mongerer or alarmist. That's what? 800 people that could have touched a surface and been infected.

It's like the shampoo commercial.

If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I'm just glad I can always find refuge in Tulsa, where it'll never hit.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

From what I understand, this outbreak is much more widespread (even just in West Africa and regardless of its spread to NA and Europe) than the previous out breaks. So, it's not accurate to compare. Yes, humans make mistakes and the institutions they're involved with need to be held accountable.

According to the CDC, this is the worst Ebola outbreak in history. Interestingly enough, they're now in the process of notifying all the passengers who flew on the same flight as the most recent victim. Even more interesting to me, they aren't notifying the passengers on the five subsequent flights this plane was used on that day before the airline was notified by the CDC and took it out of service. Still, our government insists we should remain calm and they have this all under control. To quote a (usually) pretty smart guy, "Dumbassery abounds."

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbrea...ica/index.html

Just last week, I traveled to and from the Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport ... TWICE! I was curious as to how people were going to react to Dallas.

I noticed some people carried "handi-wipes" and would wipe things down that they would be touching. Some were actually wearing surgical masks. Most went about their business in a "normal" fashion. I used the restroom and noticed the usual ... a high percentage of dufes go in, pee or take a dump and walk out without washing their hands.

Lynn and I are both "hand washers" and do so many times during an average day, especially before eating. We go out to eat often with close friends of ours and visit their home regularly. We have never ... not once ... seen either of them wash their hands before a meal, either at home or at a restaurant. Now get this, she's a frigging NURSE!

I'm not sure this has anything to do with anything ... but flying in close quarters with strangers and going through Dallas twice in one week ... I became a bit of a "people watcher" out of curiosity as to how some were reacting to this Ebola scare. I can sure see how it could spread if conditions were favorable for such a thing!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

That's one of the things I don't miss about business travel now that I don't do much of it any more and that is getting sick. I'm not sure if its quitting smoking or not flying very much or maybe even from working from home the past few years, but I hardly ever get sick any more {(knock on wood). I used to get sick at least twice a year and almost always was battling a sinus infection around Christmas break. I'm probably allergic to more shit than I've ever been in my life though. Now when I fly and they open the doors on the airplane, if it's Atlanta I could tell you without knowing where it was. My sinuses clamp shut in a minute.

BKB

It's even worse lately P-hole ... they've made seats smaller and crammed people closer together ... plus they've cut back the number of flights so that most planes are full these days. I was on four flights last week ... all were full but one ... there were three open seats the plane from Austin to Dallas. I don't know if three people missed the flight, changed flights or what ... but those flights were nothing more than flying sardine cans! They have the seats so close together now, there's no way to recline the seat anymore. That's why you're hearing of fights breaking out on flights these days .. they're making passengers as uncomfortable as possible and tempers flair. They actually charge extra for exit row or bulkhead seats now ... as well as any seat close to the front! It's reached a point of ridiculousness these days.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Wife flies through Dallas next Thursday morning.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Come on now....it's not as though Charles Campion was carrying "Captain Trips", all over the place.

OR IS IT??????

If this were a novel or a made-for-TV-movie, people prolly wouldn't believe it.

Just remember....The Government is here to help you...

My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    The Stand was great, they need to remake it with the technology we have now.

Why is this not all over Cnn?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...-over-sermons/
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Hehehehehe
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    nothing like a good viral cleansing to lower the unemployment rate and strengthen the economy
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I heard Haliburton has the antidote and vaccine rights.

No silly. Not Haliburton. Monsanto.

BKB

Clinton, AR "hospital" (a town of about 2,000 people about 30 miles north of me, not much of a 'hospital') now says they are testing a patient for Ebola. He was working on an oil rig in Nigeria a few weeks ago.......................

We have a possible patient in Loudoun county now that was transported to the hospital a few hours ago. I hope it's chicken little nonsense but it may not be.

Folks are his thing can potentially go from "everyone stay calm we got it under control" to "OH Shit" in the matter of days.
    And having a joking or non serious attitude about it is not smart...
    How about the luggage handlers on that flight? The potential that the cat is already out of the bag is real.

I got close family and friends who work for the USPS, FedX, and UPS....they all say they handle numerous packages and letters from Nigeria, Liberia, etc., every day of the week....they all say they are, now, literally bathing in Germ-X and Chlorox sani-wipes.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    I got close family and friends who work for the USPS, FedX, and UPS...
    Do they argue over who's got the best tracking system, and which one looses the most packages?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Folks are his thing can potentially go from "everyone stay calm we got it under control" to "OH Shit" in the matter of days.
    And having a joking or non serious attitude about it is not smart...
    How about the luggage handlers on that flight? The potential that the cat is already out of the bag is real.

Captain, you're right about ebola not being a joking matter. Things are about to get really real in Africa and its going to screw up a lot of stuff there. But if its not okay to joke about it, then it oughta be not okay to politicize it either. Now its on the lips of every political blogger on the internet. And its just as sick as making a joke about it.

Funny thing is, I don't hear anyone calling for 'boots on the ground' to fight Ebola. If its so deadly and a real potential threat to the US, then that's the enemy we need to be fighting with everything we've got. 10,000 a week is what the WHO is predicting. that's a lot of folks. Make ISIS look like a bunch of pikers.

BKB

And another thing. This fucking nurse that took the flight. I don't know about you but don't you think a little common sense might have been called for on her part? I know its CDC bashing time and all that, but for heaven's sakes, I would expect a nurse that was treating an EBOLA patient would have enough sense to know that its not cool to go jump on a flight if she was having symptoms like she said she was. where's her accountability in this? where's the hospital's accountability? where's the state of texas' accountability? I have lived here in this country for 60 years and I've never seen one CDC employee in my entire life.

Geeze this is stupid.

BKB