Onme thing to take into consideration is what your average shot will be like. If you're like most places in the midwest, probably 90% of the shots you take will be in the 75-100 yard range or closer. That means you don't need much and like Bucky originally said, a 30-30 would suffice for whitetails just about anywhere. Most folks like the break-down power of a 30 caliber though. I can't disagree with the sentiments expressed for the 06 and probably 75% of the deer I've ever killed were with one. for closer ranges, the 06 is probably a little better and for a little longer ranges the 270 is probably a little better. The recoil is only a little bit less with a 270. If I remember the ranges, the 06 drops about 5 inches at 200 and the 270 about 3 inches. There really ain't a nickel's worth of difference. My 270 is a Remmy 700 like Eddies and my 06 is a Remmy 742 Woodmaster so there might be some difference just because of that. I'd be proud to hunt with either. I'm like Bucky though. Once I got my 270, my 06 hasn't been shot in anger a single time. I've killed two caribou and prolly a dozen deer with my 270 and they were all DRT one shot drops.that's not a big database to compare but it was enough to convince me.

Good luck with whatever you get. Captain has a 7mm08 I'd give my eye teeth for. that and the 25.06 are two calibers I'd be owning if I was still actively hunting. both are also awesome calibers to look at.

BKB