Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rifle question

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Posthole, as for the hunters with only one rifle...technically that would be me. MY only rifle is my '06 affectionately called The Terminator. That being said, I stole my dad's 6mm and use it for hunting coyotes but I have used my wife's 7-08 when she isn't looking. And just so we are even more in agreement here, both my boys shoot 270's.

So I guess I am in the minority with only the one rifle (not counting .22's) but am beginning to think I need to get around to changing that.

My old 06 is named 'Meat in the Pot'.

and here I thought naming stuff was a southern thing.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Mine 30.06 is called; "Old Reliable". Of all my rifles it's the only one I ever named.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    .30-06 is Betsy.
    .270 is Sweetness.
    New blue muzzleloader is "Blue Bell".

Can't find an appropriate name for the new .257 Wby Mag yet. I thought of Obama (constantly snuffing the veritable life out of all that it touches), but couldn't make myself do it.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

My 700 BDL is called Chocolate Thunder
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

My 700 BDL in 25-06 is named Death...
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Mr. Roberts for my little 257.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    My 700 BDL is called Chocolate Thunder
    That's what Thumper names his farts.

BKB

Well, they are fairly famous. What with having a major role in the Ten Commandments and what not... Thank goodness for lambs blood.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    That's what Thumper names his farts. BKB
    Actually I think "death" would probably be a better name for Thumpers farts...
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I'm sure every one'o youse know where the stools are kept ... why don't ya'll head over that way and I'll catch up to ya'.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Chocolate Death. Prolly about a 500 caliber.

BKB

as much as he talks out of it, I'd put it about howitzer diameter.

I was talking about his butthole, not his dingus.

BKB

Thanks Postie ... well, for that last part anyway.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Troy, thanks for the suggestions. It's not that I have to get a bargain basement gun, but I can't justify $1500 for a rifle used, at most, two weeks a year. My initial thought was the Remingtion 700 SPS, but I'll check out the others as well. I shoot left-handed but I don't have to have a left hand gun.

You were right on about the Ruger being a good deal. Cabelas has them on sale right now for $390, and the all-weather is $450.

The Weatherby is $550 and the Remmy is $630.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Look for a left handed rifle, they are out there and sometimes you can get a good deal on one as they don't get a lot of attention.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    The good news for you is that the Ruger American is offered in left handed rifles. That is a relatively new offering from them.

6 pages and still on topic....
    Someone write this date down!

The Anschutz 22 I have is left hand, but I tried to shoot a left hand Remington 870 once and it was odd to me. I've used a righty so much that the safety being for a lefty really screwed me up.

I checked out the Weatherby's on the web and they all have a "right palm swell" so that rules them out. It looks like it's going to be hard to beat the Ruger with the price difference and both of them coming in a lefty model. That is unless there is a big difference in quality between them and the Remingtons.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    It looks like it's going to be hard to beat the Ruger with the price difference and both of them coming in a lefty model. That is unless there is a big difference in quality between them and the Remingtons.
    That depends on who you ask....
    For me it would be an easy choice.
    And with that I'll shut up!

Prolly 90% of my rifles ... well, when I HAD rifles ... were Rugers. Heck, most of my handguns were even Rugers! Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of Ruger and have never had one disappoint me.

Capps, don't shut up. I really want everyone's opinions, that's why I started this. The question is, is there $250 worth of difference in quality between the two?

I assume he's referring to the Remingtons. I've also had my share of Remingtons ... prolly 5-6 rifles and of course my old workhorse, my 870 Deerslayer. Zero, zip, nada ... NO complaints on the Rems other than a 700 I sent to Big Sky that arrived with a rusted trigger. It was brand new out of the box, had never been fired and was always kept in my gun safe with dehumidifier. I have absolutely no clue where the rust came from and was totally unaware it existed. It's still a mystery to me. I did have an old 760 and always had to carry it by the slide as it rattled when I walked. I actually had two of them and they both did that, so I suppose that's a negative that has nothing to do with this thread really. I killed prolly a dozen black bears with that old 760 and loved it.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I believe Cappy hates Rugers. Maybe my memory is bad. Or maybe it's Remingtons.

Or redheads.

I can't remember.

I dunno why.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I don't hate Rugers, I'm just a certified Remington armor. I know those rifles and know the real (not perceived) quality that goes with them. It speaks volumes when most high end custom rifle builders in this country begin with a 700 action...

Well, Gunther is the Remington hater. Not sure if Cappy is a Ruger man or not. You know how those high-brow types turn their noses up at those lower priced guns.

Dang! Posting at the same time.

Here's my opinion and then I'LL shut up.

A rifle is a tool for the most part and that's pretty much the criteria you need to use to make your decision. Black and Decker tools are fine for some people and some others will sneer at anything but Dewalt tools. It just depends on what you want to use and how you look at the purchase. There is a big difference in Black and Decker and Dewalt tools just like ere is a big difference in different rifle manufacturers. But there's obviously a market for both and there's obviously a widerange of expectations of the purchasers. You have to decide where you are on that spectrum and then buy based on your own expectations. You aren't going to war. You aren't going to starve if your rifle has a heavy trigger and you miss a deer because of it. It might boil down to e confidence in knowing you have the best money can buy. Who the hell knows, but you?
    Maybe the feedback you really need is the ranges of price and quality.

BKB

Chevy, ford, and that other one???