Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rifle question

Yep kinda likecthat too!

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    It speaks volumes when most high end custom rifle builders in this country begin with a 700 action...
    Many military sniper and special forces rifles begin with the Rem. 700 action, too.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Many military sniper and special forces rifles begin with the Rem. 700 action, too.
    Yes sir. Best and strongest action made
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    My custom smokeless ML is built on it. But I don't own a single Remington rifle. Lots of shotguns.....

Hmmm.

I don't own a single Ruger rifle either.....handguns, yes.

Hmmm.

Maybe I need to be in the market, eh?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I've owned Remingtons for years and it's still my #1 go-to rifle for big game. With that said their quality has varied greatly over the years. I've seen some good stuff from them and some crap (Remington 710). Even their model 700's can sometimes come out of the factory in rough shape. I've had more issues with my Remington 700's than I've had with other rifles as well. I had one of those that went off when you release the safety. I had another one the wouldn't dent the primer enough and the gun wouldn't go off until you re-engaged the bolt a second time. Then it would fire. Traded that sucker off as it caused me too much grief. Most Remington 700's need trigger tuning and adjusting. Some handle it better than others. I will still buy the occasional Remington if the price is right, but I don't look real hard at them anymore. For most of my adult life I had zero use for Ruger rifles. By their own admittance they made horrible barrels for years and years. In fact, prior to them upping the quality of their barrels and rifles overall I wouldn't even use one to prop up a lamp shade. They sucked, Ruger new it, avid guy buyers new it, and finally they got their act together. Now that doesn't mean that every new Ruger that comes off the line is "gold". However odds are in your favor that it will be a very good rifle. The American is their lowest priced rifle, but it comes with a quality barrel and a fully adjustable trigger. The stock is cheap, but the things shoot! They make great rifles for the money and are also really good guns for riding around in a pick up all day. However, the real gem of the Ruger line is their Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator Rifle. Don't mix it up with the standard Ruger 77 Hawkeye. They aren't the same animal. The Predator is stainless steal with a magnum contour barrel. It has a great looking laminate stock and a fully adjustable two-stage target grade trigger. I have two of them and they are both stupid accurate and the local coyotes really wish I'd never, ever, ever bought one let alone two of the rifles. At first they only made them in .204 Ruger, .223, and 22-250I often said that if they'd just make it in a big game caliber I'd buy one and never look back. Well about a year or so ago they added the .308 and the 6.5 Creedmore. That 6.5 really has my attention and I have a pretty good idea I will own it soon. The Ruger Predator weighs as much as most magnum rifles. It is definitely not a light weight mountain rifle. I actually prefer it that way as it really settles in nicely for a longer shots, but it's still light enough to shoot offhand when needed. Now the catch, they aren't super cheap. Not super expensive either but at around $850.00-$900.00 they aren't exactly pocket change either. I personally think they are worth every penny and I look forward to buying another one. So there you go more things to consider...

I really like my 7mm but it does really kick...my sister-in-law shoot a 25-06 after shooting it myself I REALLY like it and will probably buy one in the near future for me or my boys as they get older. She shoots a 110 grain bullet and has killed things from an antelope to elk. The one bull she shot with it went 3 steps and fell over.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    I have a great LH Remington 700 BDL in 270, I also have a LH Browning Stainless Stalker in 7mm-08, and a custom LH MRC 308. The Remington and MRC have been tweeked with glass bedding and trigger work, the Remington sits in a nice laminated thumbhole stock, the MRC sits in a custom Clairo walnut stock. The Browning is as it came from the factory and even has the BOSS on the end of the barrel.
    The Remington shoots MOA or less dayin and dayout. The MRC does the same, but looks a lot prettier.
    The Browning having nothing done to it will match or out shoot either one, it's just a perfect rifle and was highjacked by #3 when he started shooting.
    You may wish to look a Brownings, they offer LH in a number of calibers and are priced nicely. There's good and bad said about them, but mine is a gem and they sure do sell a lot of them so they must meet someones expectations.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

If this doesn't smoke Gus out, he may be daid.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I was wondering when we'd see the word 'Remingtomb'.

BKB

30-06 is probably the best choice. Had a couple for years on elk and deer hunts. Second would be a .308 and the heck of it is I've shot the .308 and gotten more game with it. Using Burris scopes on both. These ol' eyes aren't what they used to be.