Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Well, I'd say that Red-Winged Blackbird was obviously one of a very large group who were "thinking about" destroying that stubble field!

They're a migratory bird ... but the authorities basically ignore any "thinning out" procedures.

Legal Status

Blackbirds are native migratory birds and thus come under the jurisdiction of the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a formal treaty with Canada and Mexico. Blackbirds are protected by Federal law (Title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 21.43) in the United States except that they may be killed when found "committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance." Some States and local governments may have additional restrictions on killing blackbirds. Starlings and house sparrows were introduced from Europe and are not protected by Federal law. (My guess is that they are an official nuisance in the Dakotas)
lol... That's good enough for me.. wonder what they taste like?