Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday was a good day

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

Yesterday was a good day

Been doing what I can to keep my mind occupied on pretty much anything but my son's upcoming appointments at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN next Monday so yesterday that amounted to attending the longest pheasant tail feather hunt put on by the sportsman's club that I am a member of. The price is $20 per two man team for adults and free for kids. Teams for wherever they want to hunt but have to be back by 3 pm when tail feathers are measured. It is a 100% payback for the adults with all youth winners getting a prize between $25 and $50 plus a chili feed afterwards.

Long story short, my son, buddy, and I had our limit by 10 AM so we had more then a little time to kill (read, 4 plus hours) to help my 11 year old daughter try to get her first rooster. Though she was pretty bummed about not being able to drop a rooster, she did make a dandy shot on a STARLING. She must have watched her dad or something as she currently has the feet, wings, and tail pinned to a piece of cardboard and salted down with Borax to be displayed at a later date. (Mom doesn't know this yet.)

Anyway, here are a few shots of the day's hunt.

The morning's welcoming committee
    IMG_3438.JPG

My son with my dog Dixie
    IMG_3480.JPG

My buddy and our dogs
    IMG_3465.JPG

My pup with her pup
    IMG_3497.jpg

My gang
    IMG_2008.JPG

The whole gang
    IMG_3488.JPG

And to top it off this is the view from my driveway after the cleanup was done. A great sunset all while listening to two rooster pheasants discuss who was the better bird.
    IMG_3505.JPG
    Last edited by Bwana; 11-04-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    John, you have no idea how I miss doing that. Old legs just don't work like they use to.
    That by far was my favorite type of hunting, enjoy it.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

That is cool on so many levels. Congrats to wonderful time spent with your kids!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Hooty hoot Bwana!

BKB

Awesome stuff bwana. I'd love to do that one day

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    That's the good stuff.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Congrats... but .. she didn't shoot a redwing blackbird. . she shot a starling. Congratulations on shooting the starling. . and don't show the "trophies" to anyone.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Haha...good catch HH.

BKB

Well, I'd say that Red-Winged Blackbird was obviously one of a very large group who were "thinking about" destroying that stubble field!

They're a migratory bird ... but the authorities basically ignore any "thinning out" procedures.

Legal Status

Blackbirds are native migratory birds and thus come under the jurisdiction of the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a formal treaty with Canada and Mexico. Blackbirds are protected by Federal law (Title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 21.43) in the United States except that they may be killed when found "committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance." Some States and local governments may have additional restrictions on killing blackbirds. Starlings and house sparrows were introduced from Europe and are not protected by Federal law. (My guess is that they are an official nuisance in the Dakotas)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Still looks like a great time!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well, I'd say that Red-Winged Blackbird was obviously one of a very large group who were "thinking about" destroying that stubble field!

They're a migratory bird ... but the authorities basically ignore any "thinning out" procedures.

Legal Status

Blackbirds are native migratory birds and thus come under the jurisdiction of the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a formal treaty with Canada and Mexico. Blackbirds are protected by Federal law (Title 50, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 21.43) in the United States except that they may be killed when found "committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance." Some States and local governments may have additional restrictions on killing blackbirds. Starlings and house sparrows were introduced from Europe and are not protected by Federal law. (My guess is that they are an official nuisance in the Dakotas)
    lol... That's good enough for me.. wonder what they taste like?
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Thanks for the heads-up HH , it was a starling. For what it is worth, it was a lone bird not taken from the FLOCK that only Thump seemed to notice. So much for being a group of Noticers, you have all been officially dropped several notches in Noticer status.
    Last edited by Bwana; 11-04-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Ha! You don't take hints very well!

... when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance ...

All kidding aside, that's the first I've heard of a federally protected species being listed as a "nuisance". Here in Iowa, if it's not a gamebird or an English sparrow or staring - it's a *songbird* and woe be to thee who shoots one. I know a guy who shot one out of a goose pit and two wardens were watching through binos. They came in and spent an hour finding the damn thing so they could fine him.. waste of resources and a bunch of crap. Anyway - congrats on a great day!

So why can't I remove a picture?

We get it Sunny, we get it.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

What picture you want down Bwana? Be glad to take it Down For ya'
    However there should be no reason you cannot take it down? You should be able to edit all the text and image stuff in any thread or reply you post.

I hope the correct incorrect pic has vanished.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    So why can't I remove a picture?
    You can remove attached images. You just have to select edit, then delete the text for that specific image.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    You can't remove nutin on here.
    That's why I'm limiting my posts and tired of people quoting me.
    So not going to post much.
    Wait, what?

To be honest, I think I've run into that same problem. I'd delete a pic from my post and it would reappear at the bottom of the post as an attachment. (or sumpin' like that)

To be honest, I think I've run into that same problem. I'd delete a pic from my post and it would reappear at the bottom of the post as an attachment. (or sumpin' like that)
    Click on the "Manage Attachments", and you can delete them from there.
    Southern Gentleman

"Manage attachments!"
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Sounds like I need to go to "manage attachments".

Sounds like I need to go to "manage attachments".
    Heck, Thump, I figured Lynn oughta be an expert at "managing your attachments", by now???
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Heck, Thump, I figured Lynn oughta be an expert at "managing your attachments", by now???
    As small as that thing is.... It shouldn't have taken her very long to figure out all the nuisances of it.

Thanks Niner, you did right though still not sure there was a concern about a stupid starling.

As for the problem I was having, Thump nailed it. Tried to delete the pic but it showed up as an attachment at the bottom of the post.

Went into the "Manage Attachments" area and the darned thing didn't seem to want to let me do any deleting. Guess I will just have to rely on the Sys Op guys to cover me.

Here is a closeup of a portion of the Road Mob that I thought was sort of cool.
    IMG_3444.JPG

Dude... that many of ANYTHING is disturbing!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Two words came to mind.

Alfred

Hitchcock.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Two words came to mind.

Alfred

Hitchcock.
    Steam

Roller