Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yesterday was a good day

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Thanks Niner, you did right though still not sure there was a concern about a stupid starling.
    Ok, now I'm confused here. (so what's new?) Bwana originally called it a RWBB and I thought HH was simply joking around with the Starling comment ... you know, like hogs are legal to shoot, but dairy cows aren't ... so call that cow a hog. (wink, wink) Then I come up with the law on shooting black birds. Now Bwana is acknowledging it was actually a Starling. Again, I still thought it was a RWBB.

Am I confused or are we still playing with words here since we're on the WWW? Are you guys still joking around or is it actually a Starling?

This is what I call a RRBB and it looks like the pic that has now been deleted.

Now THIS is what I call a Starling and that pic above of all the birds in the road are what I usually see when there's a group of Starlings.

Right now, I can't tell when the joking stopped and the seriousness began. Which is which?

And this is a Starling, which does NOT look like the pic that is no more!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Yes, Bwana was playing the game. Dufus.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Well, I thought so ... and then I didn't ... and then I did ... and then I didn't ... and then I did ... and then I didn't ... and then I got confused!

Thumper's having a Blonde moment.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

All'o youse can bite me! I ain't all that sharp on birds and thought maybe I was callin' those things the wrong thing all my life!

Only thump can tell a "thump story" instead of just saying "huh?"....
    I picked up what bwana was laying down... Onliest person that didn't was the pUmphEad SYsoP
    So much for being a noticer.

Well, actually I picked it up from the get-go ... and even posted the law which SHOULD have cleared everything up and made all okay. But the flip-flopping continued, then the deletion transpired and next thing I know, I'm doubting myself. I get it ... still don't know why the pic had to be deleted though. It was all in fun and not illegal.

You never know when a meter reader might be reading on GH. Or a fish cop. Or a bird cop.

I remember once I had been duck hunting many moons ago and had killed four ducks on three shots at the end of a day. It was pure wing shooting too and I was pretty proud of it. Its rare enough for me to get a double let alone a double and two singles at one throw. So I told about it here and also mentioned that it put me one duck over my limit. Some tin foil hatted paranoiac here said I shouldn't say stuff like that on line and I blew them off. A few days later, I had a letter in the mail from the Oklahoma Dept of Wildlife and about had a heart attack. Until I opened it. MY wife had bought me a lifetime hunting and fishing license for Christmas and she was supposed to get to the mail before I did. Scared the bejeebers outta me though!

BKB

Prob. is, nothing illegal was done in this case ... I guess that's what threw me.

Sheeesh! We're turning into a bunch'a Sunshines!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Now THIS is what I call a Starling and that pic above of all the birds in the road are what I usually see when there's a group of Starlings.

Right now, I can't tell when the joking stopped and the seriousness began. Which is which?

And this is a Starling, which does NOT look like the pic that is no more!
    and just to further confuse you - that ain't no starling.. Without digging too deep.. I think it's a Brewers blackbird.

*This* is a (two) starlings.

You're welcome.

and: I have to take responsibility for creating the problem. I had never seen that "nuisance" portion of the federal law. For the record, I don't bother redwings but I hate grackles, and cowbirds. Neither ever land on this farm. Starlings land on this farm.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 11-04-2014 at 09:04 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Well I think it's a Bluegill!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    And I think Cappy is always right.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I'd like to find the British bastard who brought starlings and sparrows to America and ring hos neck.

BKB

Eugene Schieffelin (29 January 1827, New York, N.Y.[1] — 15 August 1906, Newport, Rhode Island[2]) belonged to the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society and the New York Zoological Society. He was responsible for introducing the starling (Sturnus vulgaris) to North America.

Accounts differ, but it appears that in 1850 Nicholas Pike, Director of the Brooklyn Institute, purchased the first 8 pairs of sparrows from Liverpool, England (the cost of the trip was $200 per Barrows). He released the 8 pairs in the spring of 1851. They did not "thrive."
    The following year (1851) he oversaw purchase of another 25 pairs of birds that were released along the East River. (Barrows [1889] reported 100 birds purchased by Pike from England released in fall the 1851 and spring 1852.)
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Them and mute swans
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Jims pictures is a Hildebrandt's starling. athis is the common starling better known as the European Starling.starling.jpg
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I wish I had the slightest clue what all this was about....

WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    Jims pictures is a Hildebrandt's starling. athis is the common starling better known as the European Starling.starling.jpg
    huh? I admit I've never heard of a Hildebrant's.. but the one's on Google sure don't look like that.

"Hildebrandt's starling is 18 cm (7.1 in) in length and weighs 50–69 g (1.8–2.4 oz). The adult has bright iridescent plumage on its upper body and upper surfaces. As in its relatives, this iridescence is derived from the interference of reflected light from regimented microscopic feather structures and not from pigments. The head is blue as are most of the upperparts, the wings are bronze-green with blue primaries, the throat and upper breast are glossy purple, and the tail is glossy blue-green. The middle breast and upper belly are orange-buff and the lower belly is rufous. The iris is orange-red, and the bill and legs are black. Male and female adults are identical in external appearance.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 11-05-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    I wish I had the slightest clue what all this was about....

Shitbirds.

Which every duck hunter calls them that.

BKB

Oh.

We always called 'em "Peanuckle Birds".

Why are we talkin' about Peanuckle Birds? Cause Bwana killed one? Or Bwana Light? Or what? Did it matter that he did? Is NoDak against it? Don't they have wheat and stuff?

Never mind, don't answer. I'm tired.

cause..no..yes..what?..no..no..yes..

Careful HH Bucky's having a bad day...
    I pissed him off by just typing his name.

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    cause..no..yes..what?..no..no..yes..
    Probably the most disturbing thing about this is I followed every bit of it.

BKB

Me too...

lol... may be a long winter.. first juncos showed up at the feeder this morning.. so it begins.

I think those might be what we always referred to as snow birds. (No Thumper, not the Michiganders who move to Florida every December). They can sound just like a deer when they're rustling around in a brushpile if its the same bird.

BKB

yep - that's them. Been my experience - the smaller the critter, the more noise he makes in the leaves. They leave us in the summer and nest anywhere from N Minnesota to the Arctic. Goin' little jessees.

The one that used to drive me bonkers was the dang army-dillers! They'd always scamper out right around dusk and I swear, NOTHING in the woods can sound more like a deer than those little bastages!

Bream or shellcracker?
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Bream or shellcracker?
    Sunfish!