Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headed out to vote

Headed out to vote

Looks like we've got a VERY close Governor's race going on here and they're predicting a possible recount if it doesn't spread out more during the day. Sheeesh, we have a Republican Governor now and the jack-ass running as a Democrat, was our REPUBLICAN Governor from '07 -'11. Then he decided to run for the Senate, but flipped parties and ran as an Independent. He lost and then flipped AGAIN and became a Democrat and endorsed Obama during the 2012 re-election campaign. What a frigging flip-flopping ass-kisser. WHY THE "F" is this a close race? He was our Republican Governor before, left office to become an Independent, now he's running to be our Democratic Governor. WTF?

Here's who'll be getting my vote today! I'll catch youse dufes later.

governorscott2.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I remember from when I lived there that Florida has about as much mudslinging in their elections as Oklahoma does. I look forward to voting but I damn sure don't look forward to elections. Its gotten way past ridiculous. No wonder less than 50% turn out.

BKB

I don't think there's any state worse than another with the mudslinging these days. Virginia has been nothing short of silly. I'm not sure I've heard more than 10% positive message and 90% trashing their opponent and fear mongering.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    A small bit of mudslinging here for area elections but our big deal this election is the 8 statewide measures.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Leaving in a few minutes.

When you vote, don't forget the differences!!

WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Ha! I was about to head out the door when my BIL in Texas called to "remind" me to vote Republican today!

I told him after much study, it looks like I will be voting pretty much a straight party ticket. BUT ... I'm voting FOR an amendment allowing the use of medical marijuana in the State of Florida. That bill is backed by the Democrats and opposed by the Republicans. He laughed and said he'd allow that one little exception. (he's was a stoner back in the day) Ya' know ... I'm having chronic back pain and it suddenly seems to be getting worse!

I just got back from the polls myself. Don't worry Jim, we cancelled each other out pretty much. And our medical marijuana petition didn't get enough signatures to get on the ballot. I'm sure after the revenue numbers from Colorado's first complete year after legalization come in there'll be a lot more states looking at it closer. That's a LOT of money and states are hurting for revenue almost everywhere.

and judging by the number of signatures in the book, it looks like a piss poor turnout at least at my polling place. Kind of pisses me off to be honest. There sure is a lot of bitching going on for that much of a giveashit turnout.

BKB

Just got back myownfineself. NO line at all ... walked in, voted, walked out. Not sure if that's a good thing (no wait), or a bad thing (no voters).

The part of the ballot that always gives me trouble are the district judge races. they don't really campaign here, there's really not a lot of information about them available, and its always tough. I guess that's why once you get elected as a district judge its easy as hell to keep that job for life because from then on you just have to vote to retain them. Or not.

BKB

Same here, in fact, just last night, I was reading up on each of them on the internet. I couldn't find any negatives at all and every one of them had a very high approval rating, so I voted to keep 'em. No clue who they are though.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    voted
    Last edited by Sunshine; 11-04-2014 at 08:34 PM.

If it passes, we will loose lots of gun rights and gov can take your guns with no warrant.
    Where does all of that come from? 594 is simply requiring background checks for gun sales, isn't it? (with exclusions for transfer to family members or sale of antique weapons)

Well, I looked it up. Looks pretty straight forward, but not so different than many other states. I see the good and bad in it. I still don't know where your statement above came from ... unless you're talking about criminals getting busted with guns they aren't supposed to have.

http://www.kcba.org/judicial/legisla...ety/594faq.pdf

Voting???? Took care of that little chore last Wednesday morning.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Done deal!

voted.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    Voting???? Took care of that little chore last Wednesday morning.
    Yeah, I put off the early voting because there were a couple of things I wanted to study a bit closer, but never got around to it until last night. I'm a professional procrastinator!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Me too Niner, dropped my ballot off late last week.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Speaking of the election.....I heard a news story where they quoted a Presidential spokesman answering if the President thought that a big gain by the republicans and the possible loss of the Senate were a referendum on his policies, the answer was "It's their names on the ballot, and their record that is getting voted on."

I seem to remember when Bush was President and the democrats had a big gain that it was all about the President's policies. Just goes to show that he takes no responsibility for anything and it's always someone else's fault.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Well, I guess you could say I had a good day. I stayed up late Monday night studying a few issues and candidates a bit closer before voting yesterday. I pretty much knew the major players, but wanted to study the lesser known ... such as the three District Court of Appeal Judges, that sort of thing. There were also three constitutional amendments and a referendum I wanted to study a bit closer.

Danged if the results didn't go "almost" 100% of the way I voted. Out of nine candidates I voted FOR .... all nine were successful. I guess the people have spoken this time around as I actually ended up voting a straight party ticket (Republican). ALL Republicans on the ticket won yesterday! As for the four issues I voted on, three went my way. The only one that did not, was also the only one I expected to fail ... the marijuana initiative. It makes sense I suppose ... the election went to Republicans 100% and they were against the marijuana amendment. (I really expected it to fail) What really surprised me though, is the support it DID draw! The voting went 58% for and 42% against. Problem is, to become a Constitutional Amendment, it has to pass by 60%. I think 58% was a pretty strong showing for the first time around. Sumpin' tells me this thing will be pushed through in the not-so-distant future. In the meantime, I guess we'll continue to swallow man-made chemicals for our ailments.

All I know is Kay Hagan lost here in NC and that one fact alone is enough to assure me that I'm gonna have a good day.
    The campaign between her and Tom Tillis (R) was the most expensive senate campaign in US history. Well over 100 million dollars. She was in lock step with OBummer and cast the deciding vote for OBummer-care.... I am SO happy she is gone!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Hate your weed law didn't come to pass. The image of you sitting around with a dew-rag on your head, hovered over a gonga pipe like a monkey screwing a football and talking like a Jamaican is a bit disturbing...dde01
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Ha ha! All I can say is, I've spent tons of time around drunks and a ton of time around stoners ... I'll take a stoner over a drunk anydamnday! 'Course, we're talkin' 'bout medical Mary Jane and not recreational pot as far as the amendment is concerned. I expect it to pass sooner or later.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    With my experience with the people that use "medical" marijuana in Michigan, there isn't any difference. Ask any stoners in the area and they can all name a doctor that will give out a prescription for "medical" marijuana to anyone who walks through the door.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    With my experience with the people that use "medical" marijuana in Michigan, there isn't any difference. Ask any stoners in the area and they can all name a doctor that will give out a prescription for "medical" marijuana to anyone who walks through the door.
    Yeah, right now we have a huge problem with "pill mills" ... same difference. Heck, we may as well collect some taxes on the stuff ... it's available anyway.

I'm sure there are very legitimate medical uses for weed but when states legalize it for medical use its very rarely based on them wanting to make it available for that purpose. the real reason they legalize medical weed is to get the dispensary and supply process in place so when they do legalize it most of the work will already be done within the guidelines that they want to regulate it. At least that was Colorado and Washington's approach.

As for its medical uses, I'd much rather have a next door neighbor using prescription pot as using prescription oxy or vicodin or whatever. There's very few suicides by cop done by potheads and many many of them done by pill heads.

BKB

I can't imagine why recreational marijuana isn't legal.

The "War on Drugs" is costing me a mint, and is a lost war.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Well, I'm talkin' generalities here of course, as there are exceptions to every rule, but .... I've spent TONS of time around drunks and I've spent TONS of time around stoners. Give me a stoner any day of the week. Drunks get belligerent, talk shit, start fights, fall down and eventually end up puking all over the place ... then wake up with a splitting headache and feeling sick/hung over. A stoner will sit quietly in the corner with a smile on his face and talk about the joys of life, get some sleep and wake up ready to go to work the next day.

Well, that's a ridiculous and solely anecdotal reason.......but it's valid for you.

The real reason has nothing to do with how folks act or don't act. Bad actions should have bad consequences, regardless of what you ingested. The real reason it should be legal is Freedom.

Well Thumper, I can't disagree but do we base our freedoms on what is obnoxious to us and what isn't?

We have a horrible prescription drug problem here in Oklahoma and our legislature seemingly can't do anything about fixing it because of the various lobbying that goes on at the state house. Honestly though, I'm not sure the answer to it is even locking up more folks or threatening to do so. I mean, shit, at some point we just have to admit that there's some weak ass people in this society. Let Darwin do his work in peace.

BKB