Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well This Is Weird

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I still think you ought to cold cock somebody on the way out. Not Trav. Someone higher'n you.

Wait......WAS there anyone higher'n you?

And, are you, like, home now? Key and badge taken away and all that? Personna non grata??? HR speaks in low tones to ya??
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

P-hole, in all seriousness ... you're in good shape. Just a few years ago, I honestly thought I was headed for homelessness and had absolutely no clue what I was going to do. This health problem happened overnight and in a flash my income went from "comfortable" to ZERO and a house in this area could not be GIVEN away, much less sold! I finally got my feet back on the ground and started my "unintended retirement". Once I pulled myself out of panic mode, I buckled down and started looking at all the places I could cut back on "bleeding money". I had no clue there were so many areas that could use work as I thought we were already fairly frugal. In a very short time, we were living pretty close to the same lifestyle as before, just MUCH more efficiently. Sure, I don't take my around-the-world trips every six months as before ... but to be honest, that's more due to my health (worried about infection in the open wound) than finances.

Once I cut all the corners I could find to cut, I decided to find something I could do to bring in a few extra bucks ... that's when I got into this "picking" thing and it's been a blast so far ... in fact, I have my old childhood friend hooked now. He just retired 3-4 months ago and has been self-employed most of his life, but made the mistake of doing a LOT of "under the table work". (He was a carpenter) He has no pension and only draws $700-$800/mo. in Social Security (his only income). That frigging SOB has NETTED over $3000 in his first (almost) two months doing the estate sale/eBay thing. (he must have an EXCELLENT instructor!) I shot myself in the foot because we go to the sales together and now I have competition getting to the goods before he finds them! Actually, we both love it and really enjoy the time spent together as we were extremely close as kids, but lost contact for 40+ years. Now it seems we'd never skipped those years. In fact, he's texting me as I type this asking what time he should be here in the morning.

What I'm trying to say is my priorities and interests have changed a bit knowing I don't have to get up every day to go out and earn a living, so I can concentrate on what I'd "like" to do, instead of being buried with something I "have" to do. It's working so far and I'm enjoying the heck out of my forced and unexpected "retirement". If I could ever get this back problem straightened out, I could enjoy it even more. The major negative I have is, I tore my house apart preparing to do a total remodel just before all hell broke loose. I donated most of the furniture because we were going to replace everything. Then my life got turned upside down and the house is still a shambles. You know what? I don't even care. The market tanked and the place is not worth much more than I paid for it 25 years ago! If I complete the remodel, I'll be upside down anyway. We have a kitchen, den, bedroom and my office ... that's all we really need and the rest can wait. I can't have company over, but that works fine for me. We decided that enjoying life was more important than being buried into this house. It can wait. If it comes down to spending the weekend on the beach or buying wallpaper ... we head to the beach. I found out a few years back that tomorrow may never come, so take advantage of today. I look back at who we've lost here at Good Hunting (one VERY close to you, some VERY close to me ... and all were generally close to everyone here) and I've learned to live for today with the thought tomorrow may never come. You don't know how good it makes me feel to see Mr. Co9 getting out and doing all he can do. What I'm saying is, no matter how much of a negative this thing turns out to be, with a little work, you can make it a positive and it'll be easier than you think, especially since you still have your health.

Whatever you decide, I have no doubt whatsoever that you'll come out of this in fine shape.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Thanks man. The picking thang really intrigues me.

BKB

There's a gal I run into at some of the sales. She's out of Orlando, so she doesn't come this way often. She's a professional picker. She has a long list of clients ... private collectors, antique stores, etc. She even picks for some restaurant chains ... you know, like when you walk into a Cracker Barrel and the walls are covered with old signs and antique gizmos. Somebody has to go out and find that stuff. She amazes me and it baffles me how fast she can go through a place. She's ALWAYS the first in line and goes through like a tornado! She'll have a pile built up in no time flat ... loads it all into an old Chevy van she drives and she's off! Interesting gal and she knows her stuff. I always try to keep an eye on the stuff she picks up for some pointers, but I see no rhyme or reason to her picking ... it covers a wide range of EVERYTHING. I'd kind of enjoy hanging out with her, but she seems to march to her own tune. I've never seen anyone with her.

Peruse these sites: (you can narrow them down to whatever radius you want)

EstateSales.net

EstateSales.org

estatesale.com

You can sign up and get on their mailing lists. There are more sources, but that should give you a good start to at least see some of what's out there.

Oh, and it takes time to get to know the companies running these things. Some are ridiculously high and their prices are what I call "retail". Others are great prices, but they're only great if you're buying for yourself ... there may not be enough room to make resale worthwhile. Others will work with you once you become a regular and they get to know you. Many will run the sale the first day (or two) at their marked price ... then the next day everything will be half off the marked price (if you're a gambler, waiting can REALLY pay off). Others may run full price the last day, but take half price after noon. They all vary but with experience, you'll learn who is who and how they operate. Then you can weed out the sellers you don't particularly care for and work with the sellers you like. Some are in it strictly for the money, some just want to do whatever possible to EMPTY the place out so the family can put it on the market. Like anything ... it takes a bit of time to learn the ropes. GET THERE EARLY! Some will have long lines and they may limit access to 20-25 people inside at any one time.

Rule number 1: HAVE FUN!