Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well This Is Weird

That's interesting. We'll have to talk about that. As old Pat McManus used to say, I know the difference between a Hunker and a Squat so I might be good at that.

BKB

I'll throw my hat in the ring for that Alaska trip. Give me a bit of lead time so I can buckle down on my eBay biz to prepare! I've sold all my guns ... but I still have my Wally World specials to do some fishing with!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Shoot, I typed a whole buncha stuff and lost it. Anyway, the gist was "congratulations!" and you will love being retired or even semi-retired if you want to work a bit. I made the decision to get out of the corporate bullshit many years ago and have not ever regretted it one bit.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I have always given you grief about the phone..........but little do you know.........

I have a total phone phobia. My kids hate me, my wife hates me..........I will not call anyone. I HATE talking on the phone usually. If it's a friend, and we're talking fishing, or hunting, that's ok. But the phone gives me nightmares. I scream when the phone rings in the house. My wife literally wants to strangle me over it. She says "Chill!! People call us, deal with it". I cannot. I don't want my phone to ring, ever. I don't mind calling you!!! But if you want to talk to me, text me. If you must call, at least text me first and tell me you're calling!

I spent so many years with that phone meaning one thing.............that somebody somewhere was gonna demand that I perform miracles and get them the impossible, really fast. Truth is, I did. And so did you. Not many nowadays do.

So I don't really feel picked on.

BUT, I would like to have your private, secret cell number sometime.......just in case I want to send you a picture of something neat, or need info on where to camp in Oklahoma, or how to find Trav to get some elk meat. Something important.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'll throw my hat in the ring for that Alaska trip. Give me a bit of lead time so I can buckle down on my eBay biz to prepare! I've sold all my guns ... but I still have my Wally World specials to do some fishing with!
    Crap.

I was wanting to go, but...........now, well.............
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Consider this just another chapter in your life, may it be 4 or 44.
    With your background it seems natural to become a Consultant, you must have a thousand people in your network over the years.
    Take on the jobs you want, pass on those you don't, work just enough months to meet your needs, enjoy the time off between gigs.
    Start a part time band, enter fishing contests, shoot the balls of more game.
    You're in the stage of your life where you can still do this, no kids to support, somewhat financially stable and still healthy.
    Take this opportunity to review your life and decide the new direction it should take.
    Good luck.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Bucky, my wife and I have the opposite phone phobias. I won't answer one. She can't stand to let a phone ring and answers every call. The Association for Collecting Money For Little Kids Who Were Whipped With Switches and all the others love her. I've made some sort of list in a big database somewhere so that telemarketers know to ask for Julie is I answer the phone. They won't even talk to me a lot of the time now because I'm apt to say the Eff Word to them. Especially the ones with deceptive caller ids. I start with 'You mother.....' and it goes downhill from there.

Good news seldom reaches me by phone. Today was a good example. I'm a victim of my conditioning I assume.
    BKB

Been to Alaska twice, but it's been a while, so I'm due for a repeat.

Actually, my sister and BIL have family up there with a really neat place ... but the only way in is by float plane. I think that would be out ... it would be like pulling teeth to get Larke on a jumbo jet ... he'd prolly piss his pants bouncing around in those mountain updrafts in a little float plane.

Thanks Jerry! Appreciate it. A lot of opportunities, you're right! You're a Positive Thinker too!

I wonder if there's any money to be made in the lobbying business?

Reckon?

BKB

You know, I've never been to Alaska. How's about we meet at the Hooters in West Edmonton Mall and have a few beers and a pound or twelve of wings? You gotta go right bye there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Bucky, my wife and I have the opposite phone phobias. I won't answer one. She can't stand to let a phone ring and answers every call. BKB
    Ha ha ha! Just the opposite in this house. Lynn absolutely refuses to answer the phone ... but worse yet, she won't answer the door either. I have to admit, NEITHER of us will answer the home phone ... ANYBODY who knows us, knows our cell number. The home phone is for my DSL hook-up and sales calls ... I don't answer sales calls. But the doorbell? Come on ... that one pisses me off. I'll say, "Didn't you hear the f'ing doorbell?" and she'll simply say, "Yeah ... so?" ARRRGGGHHH! We have a big sign at the entrance to our little neighborhood that reads, "No Solicitors" ... but evidently not one soul on earth knows what it means. Still, it's many times a neighbor at the door instead of a Jehovah's Witness.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    You know, I've never been to Alaska. How's about we meet at the Hooters in West Edmonton Mall and have a few beers and a pound or twelve of wings? You gotta go right bye there anyway.
    Ha ha ha! Boy, THAT brings back memories. I think I've done that a FEW times. I sure miss the ol' Dubber when I think of those days.

Oh my. Dubber...........

boy..........

wow.

What I (we) would give............ for one more trip.

Bubba, I've worked with a ton of frigging consultants in my day and I've come to the conclusion, the definition of a consultant is just another word for "unemployed manager". Oh wait! Duh! You may have a point there!

A Consultant is an Expert from out of town.

An Expert is..........well, an Ex is a has been, and a Spert is a drip under pressure.

I may look into that but to be honest, I really don't know any consultants in my industry that I have any respect for. I'm kind of like Bucky and managers. so I don't know about that gig. I think I'd dig ditches first.
    BKB

I really don't know any consultants in my industry that I have any respect for
    Trust me, it was no different in the auto industry. I never knew ONE that I wouldn't enjoy pissing on their grave if they croaked.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Congrats on entering retirement. May not be the time or way that you had planned, but it will work out for you.

My experience with consultants is they are overpaid and don't really solve any of the issues they were brought in to address.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Never met a single consultant that knew his ass from a hole in the ground and believe me I met a bunch. Nine times out of ten, they would cherry pick ideas from the in-house staff and present them to management as their most brilliant ideas on how to solve whatever problem they were hired to solve. Huge waste of money and time for the most part.

Phole, I, too, say congrats to you....you've earned it, I'm sure of that....I hope you find something to keep your mind and body occupied....I'm not retired, and never plan to, unless I'm forced to, by unforeseen circumstances....I still love the outdoors and farm life.

Can you drive a John Deere combine or backhoe?????
    Southern Gentleman

You got a backhoe????

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    The problem with consultants is that they're never going to come in and look over your stuff and be honest enough to say this is the best run operation I've ever seen. I'd just keep doing what you're doing. They have to come up with something just to come up with it.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I've always said that a consultant's number priority is to get you pregnant. and you know what it takes to get that job done.

BKB

A consultant is a person you loan your watch to and then pay them to tell you what time it is....
    I've heard my dad say this my whole life.....
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

BBP would break the consultant mold. He has decades of relevant industry experience. Most consultants try to compensate for lack of experience with bullshit. He wouldn't need to. Different animal. And he could get north of $200.00 an hour for doing it.

I'll be your pimp if you want. Where mah money at, bitch?!?!?!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Okay Mr Agent, first off, you gotta work the word 'plethora' in that description.

BKB

Sounds like you were kindof sortof expecting something like this might be coming down the Pike. Seems like you were talking a little while back about how you were ready to bail out of there, and now ya done got yer wish. Kindof like winning "The Layoff Lottery". At least you are in a good place financially and can afford to leave the rat-race.

I'm sure y'all will do fine. Like you said, maybe no more 2-weekers in the Caribbean.....or maybe it'll be a month-long dive adventure now that ya don't have to be anywhere at a set time!!??!! Maybe you'll open up your own Dive Shop, or become one of those fisherdudes we see on the TV.

Best of luck with your retirement.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Thanks, Niner!

Thanks for the positive waves, Moriarity!
    BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Don't have time to ready what everyone else said but wanted to say that I'm sorry you didn't get to pull the plug when you wanted to but it has to help that you had a clue that this was coming at some point so you could prepare as best you could.

Guess when all is said and done, congrats to you sir...now you get to go fishing when you want to.

Take care.

I'm gonna go with "birddog" and say, I'm sorry, and congrats.

Hey! I've got a very well priced retirement home near the lake down in ole virginny you can buy!!...