Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pay attention

Pay attention

Your president is on TV

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Seems like we already know what he's going to say.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    And here I thought Charlton Heston was dead.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

You mean the King in chief....
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I will say that we can't deport 5 million illegals. That's like more than, well... A lot.

I say give'em all a gun, and let them guard our schools!

In all seriousness, I don't understand this from any angle.

Were we GOING to deport them anyway? Before this?? I'd say no, but I'm no expert on this stuff.

And what about all those illegal Chinese? Are they included in this protection?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    In all seriousness, I don't understand this from any angle. Were we GOING to deport them anyway? Before this?? I'd say no, but I'm no expert on this stuff. And what about all those illegal Chinese? Are they included in this protection?
    That was my thought exactly Bucky.
    Tonight's action almost seemed like a "come forward and we will make it OK"... So this can sound and feel like a win.
    WE weren't doing shit about this anyway!!!!

I also don't believe that "your chances go up" if you are a criminal.

WHAT CHANGED?!?

nothin.

And I'm not blaming Obama. Bush talked about immigration and not a damn thing was done.

I guess I just don't get it. We have bigger things to worry about than people who have been here illegally for 5 years already.

Almost seems like a smokescreen.
    But he'd NEVER do that...

I think the man is way smarter than we give him credit for. By doing this..........or any other thing that will totally drive the GOP crazy, but for which they can do absolutely nothing to stop it, without shooting themselves in the foot.......it's like he's laughing at them.

I don't know if he cares about this one issue, or if he thinks this is truly a good thing to do, or not. Maybe he does. I don't know. But I do know that whether the consequences were intended, lateral, or serendipity, that he's slapped the GOP across the face and is smirking at the red spot it left.

And the survey says ...........

illegals.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Agree.

Repubs are already talking about him saying "mass deportation would be impossible and contrary to our character"..... They are likening it to him saying "Yes. I'm a Muslim".

But all in all... He's 100% correct in that statement. At least the first part.
    How the heck would we deport 5 million illegals?!?!
    And if we could... Would it make sense on a logistical / fiscal standpoint? Don't we have better things to do? Like stop giving out cellphones and foodstamps to people who CAN work but chose not too? Or kill some ISIS bastards or something?

All that being said..... I don't think ANY substantial number of illegals are currently thinking about stepping up and getting "straight with the law" after his speech tonight. I'd venture to say it's less than 10. But I might be off by 1 or 2.

You give him WAY too much credit Bucky. He is the idiot in chief and the only worlds I would turn my TV on to hear him say is that he is resigning!
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    And the survey says ...........
    Stole it!

I was wrong obviously about how damaging a shutdown of the government could be, but I agree with Bucky that he is goading the Republican side into doing somethi g stupid. And shutting the government down would be monumentally stupid. Let's see if they managecto snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I don't think they have the balls to do what they need to do, and that is draft their own immigration reform bills. That would steal his thunder and make immigration policy in the country their own. Be interesting to see what happens. As for immigration, he just created three million new voters. And That's what is really at stake, make no mistake about it.
    BKB

Why would the GOP draft any legislation, knowing anything that the House passes, the Senate won't??? They couldn't steal any thunder, because they can't pass anything. Neither can the Dems. It's Executive Branch Only till Jan 20..........

They'll pass something........come February. But not till then.

And you are 100% right on your last sentence. Well no you're not. It's probably more than 3 mill.

I do disdain the term "undocumented aliens".

I am an undocumented citizen, I guess. I ain't got no papers! This ain't Germany. Geez. What does that term mean, anyway? What is the definition of "alien"??

Why do we have immigration laws? For what?

Nobody in this entire equation really gives a shit about immigration policy. The republicans simply couldn't figure out how to do the same thng Obama just did without pissing off the Tebagger part of their base. That's why there is stalemate. FYI, the Senate passed a bipartisan immigration bill and it stalled in the House. And that's where it sits.
    I'd like to see someone present a plan for how we should go about deporting these three million people. That'd be interesting.

BKB

A bus.....

I noticed you don't say anything about the immigration bill that passed the house and was sent up to the Senate and they (the senate) have not taken it up?
    Hum why so one sided?

Everyone is one sided. Even those that say they aren't but the other side is.

You puts your glasses on one way, or the other way, but not both.

I'm really torn on this as I really don't have that big an issue with a more open immigration policy. However, legitimizing coming illegally just isn't the right way to go. It just incentivizes more illegal immigration. The whole, "they're stealing our jobs" thing is complete BS. Maybe it's different other places, but I wouldn't want to try to get something built, cleaned or grown around here without a large immigrant population.

I never had a problem getting it done in 1975.

So.....it's not JUST about the Hispanic illegal immigrants, it's about the illegal POLISH immigrants and the illegal IRISH immigrantas in Chicago (from his own mouth). AND....I am guessing....the illegal KENYAN immigrants in Washington DC????
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    I never had a problem getting it done in 1975.
    Exactly

That's funny. we had even less protection at our southern border in 1975. And it wasn't about migrant workers for construction but to get our fruit and vegetables picked in 1975. Ironically, that was the year that communist (that's what you'll call him) Cesar Chavez unionized the migrant farm workers in Texas like he had years earlier in California.
    People have been coming across our borders to work for decades. To refuse to accept that is denial. To blame the workers for it is silly. And to criminalize the workers and not criminalize the companies who knowingly encourage their crime and hired them is immoral and is at much criminal as the workers themselves.

BKB

They ARE criminals Posty. They BROKE FEDERAL LAW to get here. What else are they?
    And you are spot on with the companies that use them being criminal too. I'm with you on that.

So you honestly think its practical to arrest and deport 11 million people? You think that's a workable plan? wondering how you're gonna go about doing that. Maybe we need a new police force to do that. Let's call them Gestapo! And give them arm bands. and make everyone carry 'papers'.

BKB

And it is illegal to hire undocumented workers. (You can't hire anyone without an I-9 and valid ID.). So, what's your point.

I'm not even against liberalizing immigration. I'm just not sure your point is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    So you honestly think its practical to arrest and deport 11 million people? You think that's a workable plan? wondering how you're gonna go about doing that. Maybe we need a new police force to do that. Let's call them Gestapo! And give them arm bands. and make everyone carry 'papers'.

BKB
    I agree. Let's never try to enforce laws that are too hard to enforce, or too expensive. Just a waste of time.

Cd, how many people you see getting arrested and went tp prison for hiring illegals? How many fruit pickers or lawn services or construction companies or chicken processors you see getting investigated? They openly hire and employ illegals. OPENLY. These people don't dome here because they can get on welfare. They come here to work. They come here for jobs. They've been doing it since FDR set up the first worker program.

I agree they're here illegally. What I also think is that y'alls obvious disgust with allowing this illegal to happen applies only to those that don't agree with your political views.

If Republicans are that disgusted with illegal immigration, then pass the appropriations bill to round the fuckers up and deport them. There's been plenty of Republican presidents and congresses over the past several yers to do something about it and they did absolutely doodly squat. Well, other than provide executive orders to make some of em legal they haven't.
    This concern and disgust is so thin and fake it makes me want to puke. You are only disgusted when its handy to be. Some might say you're even hipocrites.

BKB

Why is it that you only say it's up to Republicans to fund it and deport? You slam Republicans every chance you get and then claim we politicize issues. You ARE the one here that brings that into play more than anyone.
    Why would you not say it's up to Americans to fund and report? Is it because you believe that as long as democrats don't like a law its OK to ignore it?
    Answer me this;
    If DingDong wanted to do this type action his whole time in office as he says he did, then why did he not do it his first two years when he had both houses of congress and the White House?
    I'll tell you why, he wanted to get re-elected....
    And tell me why he didn't do this a few weeks ago BEFORE the mid term elections? Hum??????
    How many YouTube videos you want to see of DingDong saying what he did is illegal and he DID NOT have the authority to do the very thing he ended up doing?
    He's a ass-clown and will be judged in history as such.