Didn't scare me at the time though it should have.

Back when I was in high school there was a big buck that everyone knew about, Big Leonard, but that critter resided in a no-hunting area of the local federal wildlife refuge and would NOT come out. That is until the one day several buddies and I caught him outside the fence chasing a doe around.

The plan was for us to sneak up a draw that would get us to a point between him and the refuge fence. Everything was going our way and we KNEW one of us would be tagging him within minutes when all of a sudden a pickup of hunters spot the buck from the road and then did the only thing they could think of to get close enough to the buck for a shot, they came flying down the prairie trail and bailed out when they thought they were close enough. My group had a fence to cross and a small knoll to top in order to be able to see the buck. I was the quickest and was just topping the rise when the gents in the pickup started shooting. Even though the buck was going to cross between our two groups I KNEW they would see the five of us standing on the hillside in our florescent orange and would quit shooting when the buck came in line with us. WRONG! Two of my group never made it through the barb-wire fence but the other two did and were yelling at me to get down as the bullets started whizzing past. I've never heard this before or since but all of a sudden I hear this incoming shell that I remember sounding just like an incoming mortar round and thinking, do I roll right or left?!?!? I ended up rolling to my left and the round ended up passing over me and landing between my buddies who were about 20 feet behind me and 10 feet apart from each other!

One of those guys was immediately shaking like a leaf and PISSED. (He was the oldest in the bunch and probably not as "bullet-proof" as we younger gents.)

Didn't think it bothered me until the next weekend when while hunting in a blizzard I suddenly heard rifle shots coming from VERY close to me but I was unable to see who was shooting or it what direction. That is when the panic set in and I started FREAKING OUT! About then there was a slight break and I could see two guys who were still shooting and it looked like they were shooting AT me. I remember thinking it was time to fire my own gun to let them know I was there but instead hit the deck. A quick check through my binoculars showed me they were NOT shooting at be but away from my location but it didn't matter as I was DONE and wanted nothing more to do with being around others with guns so headed for home. Even though my dad offered to go with me on the final weekend, I almost told him that I was done with hunting as those two incidences scared the crap out of me but I reluctantly went and am glad I didn't give up deer hunting as I have had many GREAT memories deer hunting with family and friends over the years since then.