Thread: Have you Goobers seen this?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Have you Goobers seen this?

Looks like a place I would like to go....
    https://vimeo.com/bassprovideo/revie...678/63245d0b7d
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    Wow now that would be fun to see!!!!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I didn't realize that BPS had bought it, I was there for the NCAA BB tournament in 2001. Looks like it's going to be pretty neat.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

I hope BPS brings a little class to that section of Memphrica.
    Southern Gentleman

Wow, what a change. Mud Island has one heck of a history, but when I lived there, all it had was a little airstrip (single strip) where business people or wealthy shoppers would fly right into "downtown" Memphis. You had to take a little ferry to get back and forth between downtown and the island. They closed that airstrip the year I graduated h/s and it was just a hunk of land in the river. I can't remember persactly, but I think the Wolf River used to drain into the Mississippi just north of town and the sediment built up forming the island. I think the Army Corps of Engineers did some sort of work and diverted the Wolf River so the island wouldn't wash away (my memory may be all screwed up here, but it was sumpin' like that).

Dang, I was surprised to see that place when I returned to Memphis years later. They had a new bridge passing right by the island (I-40) and the old bridge (I-55) is still in operation just south of there. Ol' Mud Island looked like a dang theme park ... actually, I guess it is in a way. I never did really know what that Pyramid was all about and after talking to my long-time buddy there, he kind of filled me in on the history. It sounds like it's been basically an expensive flop since it was built. He told me many years ago BPS was supposedly going in there, but I guess it's been a 10-year battle getting through all the red tape. I supposed it's good to see all those dollars not going to waste.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain