Thread: People are funny..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar

People are funny..

Everyone says that but nobody laughs... Around the first of November, a guy on another site, posted looking for a few squirrel tails (fly tier). First post offered to pay what Mepps pays (.40 and postage - if you trade it). He wasn't getting any response so I finally posted. He wanted 20 grays and a dozen reds. I told him up front I had the tails but they were in the freezer with coon hides on top and I wouldn't even see them again until middle of Feb.

He started PMing me - about twice a week - "still interested - any progress? - would you trade for this? - I might use a few more -" Finally got up to 2 dozen grays and 60 reds. Boxed them up and sent them.

First PM.. "Got the tails - they look great - I don't have any money, would you trade for (insert various stuff I don't need here)."Don't mind the tails but I think I'm about to get screwed out of $12.60 postage.

and I don't need the whole, "You're a dumbass thing.." I know that. I just wanted to tell somebody.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

He's an asshole. You're not.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Make it easy for him. Send him a PayPal invoice. If he has an account, payment is as easy as a click or two of his mouse. If no $$$ in his account, he can still pay with a credit card or directly from his bank account. It may sound fruitless, but some people are simply too lazy or motivated enough to write a check, address an envelope, stick a stamp on it and take it to the mailbox. But, if they can handle it the quick/easy way, they are sometimes more motivated. Heck, you have nothing to lose.

Then again ... maybe he really has no $$$ ... that makes him an asshole for asking.

That said, like you, I'm a trusting soul and if I could collect all the $$$ owed to me, I'd be living on Maui right now.

Good luck.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    People are the weirdest folks I know.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

And some people are just cheap assholes. I'd let him know what payment you expect and if he doesn't pay just consider it a lesson learned.

BKB

You say this is on "some site".

I'd post on that site what happened (but I'd give it some time first, and I'd ask him directly for X dollars first, several times), and THEN I'd post "Y'all don't be dealing with SquirrelBeggar, he's a jerk, and here's why".

Maybe then you could stop others from being screwed.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I did tell him early, I sold 200 to some guys last year for .50 and postage - but that I wouldn't argue over a dime. Yeah 'Rub.. I'm just going to sit on it. Hell, maybe he'll send me something really cool. .. or money. Honestly, it's not that big a deal. Only part that bothers me *in the slightest* is, 85 squirrel tails is *a lot* of tails for personal use. They sell for $3-5 in fly shops.. If he peddles them.. my feelings might be hurt.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

He's prolly waiting to pay you from his profits! He just needs some time to get 'em sold.

Set up a bogus email address (G-mail or sumpin') and ask if he has any tails for sale.

I sent him a PM saying I didn't want to cause anyone financial hardship.. just forget the whole thing. Got two more back - still trying to trade odds and ends.. Finally one this morning saying he'd pay.. we'll see.

Tell him you'd be happy to trade him for some green American cash money.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

The thot plickens... .. I finally convinced "my buddy": the only thing I was really interested in trading was photos of dead presidents. Though (and remember this guys is an "avid fly-tier") I sent him a pic of my favorite squirrel hair fly and ask if he'd send pics of his ties - just because I like tying with squirrel hair.

"I haven't tied a lot with them, but was planning on starting to."

You can probably get (easily) 20 flies out of a squirrel tail.. he has 85.. and he doesn't tie with squirrel.. anyone have any Vaseline? Swears he's sending a check.. It's been an experience.

Did you ever have those "things" that if you just kept to yourself.. people wouldn't know what a gullible putz you are? Well, seems I have lots of them and I'm seldom bright enough to keep my mouth shut.

A few days ago, I received a check from Oregon.. actually for a few dollars more than I thought we'd settled on. I dropped him a note to let him know it had landed and sent a picture of a squirrel tail fly I tie and one of that crappie. Got back a note saying he wouldn't be able to fish or even tie for awhile because "life' had happened and he had to take on a second job. Currently working 6 days a week and 12 hours a day.

Not sure if I was feeling benevolent, reminiscent of the old days ( I worked some of those hours) or just gullible.. but I told him I was tearing up the check - he could send me some flies or enough wood to make a knife handle or consider it a gift.

Even if I got "got".. he can probably use the money at least as much as I can. I know, probably "hook in mouth, flopping on bank, gasping for air".

Edit: "That's not why I said what I did but I thank you. Your gift made my day a bit brighter. Got to get back to work for now but again thanks for the smile, I needed one. I'll put together something when I get a chance. The work frenzy will hopefully get us back on our feet.
    Take care and may God bless you and yours,
    Trez"

What the hell.. the "thank you" was worth it.. Maybe I'll buy me a drink tonite.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 03-17-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    You're alright despite what all these dufes say about you.

Heck, you're even a good guy despite what Big Sky says about you!

Squirrel tails are worth something.

Wow.

Now we know how Ed got rich.

And you're all right for a Yankee! Sorta like a shorter Bubba.