Thread: Hunting-related questions

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

Hunting-related questions

At least I HOPE we still talk about that stuff here. Anyway, I'm looking for a scope for my wife's 7-08 rifle and am looking for input.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Weaver Grand Slam scope that is on the gun it is just that it doesn't have enough eye relief for her to get a proper site picture. I've looked into finding different bases but because it is a round top Sako receiver I've been unable to locate anything different then what I have so I am not able to move the scope any closer to her eye. Plus I don't think I can just shorten the stock as it is composite instead of wood.

Anyway, I see Leupold has their VX-1 and the VX-2 with the CDS turrets on sale. Two questions:
    1) Are there problems with VX-2 CDS scopes since they are selling them cheaper then the standard VX-2?
    2) I see the new VX-1 scopes have the 1/4" click adjustments, what is the opinion of these scopes?

I realize hunting-related posts aren't quite the norm here but I thought it was worth a try.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I haven't seen a lot of use for the CDS..........but it's fine to have, especially if it's cheaper than one without it. I wonder if they are discontinuing that or something?

The optics on each tier of scope is different, but they are all ok.

I use the VX-R and to be honest, I couldn't tell you which platform they built that one on. It's amazing for old eyes though, something you or wifey probably don't have to worry about quite yet.

Is there a Brick/Mortar store you can walk in and look through each of these first? BPS maybe?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.