Thread: Ever have one

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar

Ever have one

of those "projects" that kind of takes on a life of its own? I have one leg that tends to take off on it's own. So, when I'm in rough or muddy footing I often pick up, or cut myself, a walking stick. This winter I found one that started out life as a cottonwood sapling that was harvested and the bark all eaten by beavers (obviously a year or two ago).. It was straight enough and light enough it ended up all the way back at the house. It was during a stretch of crappy weather so I thought I might sand the thing off and put a leather strap on it and keep it around.

Sanded it down and put some poly on it and it looked kind of cool. Top and bottom had been chewed off the beaver and I decided the top was kind of shaped like a mushroom. So, I fired up the Dremel tool and made a mushroom. Took it out for a test drive and discovered the poly made the thing about too slick to hold on to - need a "grip". . more "mushroom-type" Dremeling.. Then in a day or two it "needed" an arrow head. So I made an arrow head.. It was about this point I was thinking, "Dang, this thing came out pretty good - I wish I'd spent a little more time on it now." Oh well, by this time next year (if I don't lose it) it will look like it's been dragged behind the pick up anyway.

I know Sky would give me an F - but maybe some of the rest of you dufes aren't anymore "artistic" than I am.

If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Mushroom is one of the things that came to my mind.......

Good job!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Well done sir.

Looks cool. I wish the stick was in focus instead of the background tree, though Could bring you good luck if you're hunting morels!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Nice peckerhead shaped morel on the end of that thing. Be honest now, you were thnking of your buddy's wife when you carved that didn't ya?

Nice job. I like stuff like that a lot. I have a 'snake beater' I found up at Dogtooth. A real hard and seasoned straight piece of driftwood that's about right for a diamondback water snake. It'll bring pee on 'em I guarantee.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Yep, Len - I didn't spend any more time on the pic than I did on the carving. In my defense; I had no intention of it going this far - [B]and[B] - the camera seems much more critical than my eye. It actually looks pretty good... in low light.. if you have some dust in your eyes.. slightly drunk... riding by on a fast horse.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Looks like a phallic symbol.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Very nice. Good work on the project. I have several that I've made out of beaver cut sticks. I don't know why but they seem to make very good walking sticks.
    But I've never dressed one up like that. That takes talent.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!