Thread: Shotgun Memories

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

Shotgun Memories

Thru the years I've owned a variety of shotguns and shot at a variety of varmints with a variety of results. Each has their special moments. I remember my initial experience with a shotgun was a double barrel 410 with 28 inch barrels. You could take a three inch Super X #6 shot and the post oak didn't grow high enough for a squirrel to be safe in. I was just a kid of about ten and thought I was armed with the ultimate weapon until I borrowed a single shot 20 gauge from my cousin. Oh brother, those big yellow high brass shells, I would just dump them out of the box on the bed and put them back in the box over and over.

I remember one September day after school I got home and discovered I only had seven shells left. Plenty for hunting if you were a 13 year old. I walked across the road about half a mile or so and suddenly a quail ran out and I blasted him. another ran out and I blasted him too. Then a third. I picked them up and started back to the woods. Before I got in the woods a big fox squirrel ran up into a pine.....took two shots to bring him down. only two shells left. Before I could make up my mind what to do next, a young foolish cat squirrel came out and started barking at me. One shell left. I turned around and went home. Before I went a hundred yds I jumped up a big cane cutter rabbit. Seven shells, 3 quail, 2 squirrels and a rabbit. One of my best hunting trips ever and I remember it as vividly as if it were yesterday even tho it was over 40 years ago
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Sounds like a perfect day to me.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    See why I love this place so much????????
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.