Thread: A note from Bill "Niner's" wife and Family

A note from Bill "Niner's" wife and Family

This is from Di and Bill's family. She asked me to post this. It is verbatim. Di also attached some pics to her email that I will attach when I have a moment to do so. We will/can move this to the "Gone but not forgotten" forum later, but for now.... Here it is.

Niner..... You da man... RIP

Even though I've tried writing this several times now, I've come to realize that words simply cannot express how much I appreciate the flowers we received from our GoodHunting Family for Bill's memorial service. I could feel the love and support of you all with me there to honor him, no matter the distance.

Bill and I were married 31 years and loved each other dearly. Personally, I know that our life together was forever changed by the friendships we developed with so many of you and it meant so much to both of us. Although Bill did not have an opportunity to meet some of you face-to-face, I know that it did not diminish the affection he felt for you because those relationships are based on love and respect at a higher level.

I kept the card from the flowers--it says, "From Your GoodHunting Family". I put it with the other mementos I saved from Bill's memorial service. Looking at it even now makes me smile because the key word there is "Family" and that is so true. I've never had a GH login, but I guess I may need one now to keep in touch since I won't be getting my regular updates on how you all are doing.

I put together some of my favorite photos of Bill to be shown prior to the memorial service on the two monitors in the chapel. It was an attempt to highlight some of the special events and times in his life, but it didn't really do him justice. So many times he was simply doing something to help a friend without any expectation of acknowledgement (that was just Bill), but that's impossible to capture in a picture. Most of them were of Bill hunting and fishing, one of him with a big smile at the top of a special tree stand that he was determined to climb one last time even though it hurt like hell (he said it was worth it!), and a couple of shots of him trout fishing (he never stopped talking about that "dream fishing trip of a lifetime" in Montana--thanks Big Sky!). Of course, I included the "Niner Shot" at the end of the video--just seemed fitting somehow.

Losing Bill has been the most difficult thing I have ever faced in my life. I will never forget him, or forget all of you that were so important to him. More importantly, I want you all to know that the kindness, love and support you have shown us both has given me the comfort and strength I needed so much right now to make it through all of this, and I am so very grateful.

Di

Pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pic2

More

Pics

Best one

This warms my heart. I love that she knows what "The Niner" is
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I don't think I posted this on the site - but I sent a note to Bill. A number of years ago, Bill had a couple pair of Browning boots that had belonged to his dad. I was the only one with "big" enough feet to fill them , so he sent them to me. One pair still remains and I leave them up at turkey camp to knock around in. Told Bill I'd drive a nail in the wall, hang them up and they could hang there until the place rots down around them.

Never met him. But I sure liked him.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

There's so much negative stuff that you read and hear about the 'innerwebs'. This site is one of the positive things that can happen. Not sure if it was on purpose, not sure if it was an accident, and not sure if i even care. It is like a big extended family and I'm sure thankful for the friendships that have come my way as a result. Niner was a big old charming, funny, ornery, and sensible piece of it and always will be.
    One sad part is I don't have anyone to needle about Newt Gingrich any more.

Di has a tough row to hoe and I hope she reaches out to all of her and Niner's friends on Goodhunting any time she needs to.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    You have someone, you just are too deep into the 420 to care anymore! Welcome to Retirement. I've gotten schizophrenic. I'm way more mellow, then I am way more interested, then I look out the window, and randomly go between all those. But apathy is far more metastatic than I would have thought.

And since you never agreed to come fish with me, I've moved you way down the list. Your number is now 11. Now serving No. 2. I'm gonna prolly write off #1 this week sometime.

But this is, and probably always will be, my home page. I suppose when I die, I'll be remembered as the most polarizing figure here. I sure won't be remembered like Bill. He was, and remains, my inspiration to do better with what I have. I met him once, but I am convinced it was way more than that. I have a long way to go to be like him, but I promise I'm trying to work on it.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

And that 2nd picture is one I've never seen, of course. Reminds me of a movie star, I can't place his name.......I'm terrible with that. But he was one good lookin' guy, wasn't he?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

He most certainly was a good lookin guy, kinda reminds me of Philip Seymore Hoffman.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    You have someone, you just are too deep into the 420 to care anymore! Welcome to Retirement. I've gotten schizophrenic. I'm way more mellow, then I am way more interested, then I look out the window, and randomly go between all those. But apathy is far more metastatic than I would have thought.

And since you never agreed to come fish with me, I've moved you way down the list. Your number is now 11. Now serving No. 2. I'm gonna prolly write off #1 this week sometime.

But this is, and probably always will be, my home page. I suppose when I die, I'll be remembered as the most polarizing figure here. I sure won't be remembered like Bill. He was, and remains, my inspiration to do better with what I have. I met him once, but I am convinced it was way more than that. I have a long way to go to be like him, but I promise I'm trying to work on it.
    You sure have some funny perceptions about stuff. Its part of what makes this place, well, this place!

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    You sure have some funny perceptions about stuff. Its part of what makes this place, well, this place!

BKB
    Strictly from curiosity, what does that mean???????? Why was that weird?????

Wierd. I've met with Bill (and Di) many times. Had dinner together a few times. I've even been to his house and he grilled supper on the back deck. For some really odd reason, I don't have ONE picture of him ... or us together. No clue how that happened. I'm not much of a picture taker unless there's fish or critters involved. Maybe that's it, I never hunted or fished with him ... it was always a "social thing" when we got together.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    And that 2nd picture is one I've never seen, of course. Reminds me of a movie star, I can't place his name.......I'm terrible with that. But he was one good lookin' guy, wasn't he?
    The guy from the movie Hangover ?