Hello, Im Nandy and I am a Fly fisherman... They say it all start by admitting it, right? Although not the uppity type, I do rather use the long rod for top water presentation than a regular spin combo. It is just something different and after fishing over half my life (since I was 4) with a spinning set it was time to change and challenge myself. Dont get me wrong, the challenge is on the change, not the type of fishing.

Trout is a funny fish, depending on the pressure it will behave just like a deer. Specially those large browns that tend to hide during the daylight under the bank or a log coming out to feed freely at night. Go and fish in a trophy fishery river as the South Holston where there is a fisherman standing on every rock and it gets technical with tiny small (22 and smaller) flies, subsurface of course and 14 feet leaders using 6 or smaller tippets... That river kicks my butt every time...

We dont do a lot of "Brad Pitt, River Runs Through It" type of casting, you know, the one that he shows for the first time when he "Breaks from his dad's teaching"... Tight sexy loops achieved with a double haul have no use in Appalachia because of our small creeks, lush and encroaching vegetation. Unless of course, you are trying to catch tree branches which I have plenty of experience with... We do have a few sections here and there where you can let lose but most of the time is tight casting or roll cast.

Just like CD states, going into those small streams (bluelining as we refer to it) filled with the eastern strain of brook trout, or brookies as we call them, is the closest thing to hunt for fish. Slow approach from down stream, hiding behind the trees, starring at the pools for minutes at a time looking for the tell tale signs or fish rising or the flashes of nymphing fish. Once fish is located have a stealthy approach and cast making sure you wont line the fish. Wild fish tend to be voracious eaters and any reasonable facsimile of food is gladly taken...

Ahh, you guys bring me memories of my good years in my early 30's... I can smell the air and I can feel the cold in my skin... Thanks yall, I think I need to go fishing...