Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brainstorming with the site logo

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Good ideas! Just don't show 'em where we hid the Goodhumting secret stash where we keep all of sunshine's quotes. They don't have the clearance for that. BKB
    That requires top secret clearance....
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Too bad there isn't a recently retired techie around here who could look into it.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

You guys should probably keep me plugged in to what you're doing. In order of technical proficiency for running the site it goes:

-Foo
    -Len
    -Everyone else

It's important to document and communicate any changes we're making. This software is VERY easy to misconfigure and bring the whole shooting match down. If we don't know what happened or what was changed, we're looking at a big deal to restore.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Everything is totally backed up Len.
    I've been concerned for sometime and asked several times if there is anyone that can fix the registration and Password problem here. I've had no takers. Nandy has offered and will work on the problems.
    He has the site backed up and has said he will have time to fix and work on things.
    The priority to me (is the same as it has been for while) fixing the password recovery system and fixing the site so people can register. Mrs Niner wants to register and cannot. There is no telling how many people would like to also join. But are unable?
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

OK, just wanted to keep it above board and make sure things were being taken care of. I welcome any help we can get. Making notes in the Admin section to keep everyone on the same page would be a good way to centralize communication without being too much of a burden.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I always stand on top of the board...

A matter of necessity for the vertically challenged

Out standing in the field if you ask me.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Just my worthless two cents but I didn't want to change it in the first place.

BKB
    The idea of changing the banner happened in this thread: Link

Larke asked me if I can help with the site maintenance and I agreed to it. Although I have managed many sites there are mostly static pages so forums are new to me. I will need to read a bit on this part of the maintenance to understand that better but not much in the couple of weeks since there is training at work that is due at the end of the month, of which we were told today.... Will try to figure out what is the problem with the registration as my first priority. Most other stuff is straight forward. I do not think I have admin privileges for the bulletin board or what privileges I need to get the registration/password issues taken care of, yet...

I agree Len, all that have any privileges higher that moderator need to keep an open communication. Generally a room in the board is created so we can leave information of what is going on so all those that need to know can go and read what is going on. I thought the banner change was something that everyone had agreed to and since all it took is just a picture rename and a new picture loaded I did not thought that it needed much attention from anyone else. It will be good to know who has access to what and who is in charge of what so we can communicate better and not step in each other toes...

Im will only implement changes that are required of me from the community or from Larke. I feel like the new kid in the block since after all, i have been absent for like 10 years and that is a lot of time, people change, I know I have.

So, im just your humble technology servant, your wishes are my "html code"...

Now, back to the banner, any new ideas, changes...?

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    The idea of changing the banner happened in this thread: Link Larke asked me if I can help with the site maintenance and I agreed to it. Although I have managed many sites there are mostly static pages so forums are new to me. I will need to read a bit on this part of the maintenance to understand that better but not much in the couple of weeks since there is training at work that is due at the end of the month, of which we were told today.... Will try to figure out what is the problem with the registration as my first priority. Most other stuff is straight forward. I do not think I have admin privileges for the bulletin board or what privileges I need to get the registration/password issues taken care of, yet... I agree Len, all that have any privileges higher that moderator need to keep an open communication. Generally a room in the board is created so we can leave information of what is going on so all those that need to know can go and read what is going on. I thought the banner change was something that everyone had agreed to and since all it took is just a picture rename and a new picture loaded I did not thought that it needed much attention from anyone else. It will be good to know who has access to what and who is in charge of what so we can communicate better and not step in each other toes... Im will only implement changes that are required of me from the community or from Larke. I feel like the new kid in the block since after all, i have been absent for like 10 years and that is a lot of time, people change, I know I have. So, im just your humble technology servant, your wishes are my "html code"... Now, back to the banner, any new ideas, changes...?
    I've been covered since I got some admin powers bestowed upon me but I will do some readin and fartin around. Nandy, I may need a few minutes of your time either by phone or go to meeting or something so you can show me a few things.

Being able to get people registered and being able to reset passwords is numero uno in my opinion.

And you ain't the new kid .... You just an old fart that took a sabbatical

We're a bunch of old silverbacks on this site, and Nandy is one of us.

BKB

Arty, it could be as easy as we have to upgrade one of the scripts on the forum but that is as much as i can tell you now. I have no experience on forums. I can help you with ftp's video/imaging editing, some static webpage and that is about that. BTW, the very home page still has the old banner in it. I did not thought you guys care to change that one but it can be changed as well... back to training, im trying to get it all done this week... I dont like deadlines, specially close ones....

Gents, It's alllll good in the hood. I'm glad we have people willing to jump in and help. I think we should solve that registration problem ASAP!

I've been an IT Guy for over 30 years and I can't "turn off" the fact that changes to system need to be controlled and documented. That's all. You guys can shoot me any questions you like and I'll be happy to help in any way I can. Nandy, we have and "admin forum" where we can discuss/document changes we're looking to make.

Nobody here needs my permission to do squat I just want to make sure we're doing things safely. Foo is the only person here that can rebuild this site from a Unix command prompt and that's what it takes if we screw it up inadvertently.

The UBB software is all gui and easy to figure out. The back end Unix stuff can be a different story is all I'm sayin'. Youn's do as you see fit!

You don't have to worry about me... I ain't breakin nuttin.

so, here's some versions of the logo image to consider. I removed some clutter from the dock so the eye can focus on what's important in the image. Personally, I like it just like this. Just my opinion! I'm not a fan of mixed fonts and colored text but hey, that's just me. I can do pretty much anything we want with it.

I keep trying to think of simple text and all I can really come up with when I look at that image is "friends". Honestly, that's what it's all about right there.

Any other ideas?

ghcrop.jpg

ghcrop1.jpg

ghcrop2.jpg

I like to know how cappy pulled a bright fuchsia pink shirt and you guys let him keep a man card....
    Last edited by Nandy; 06-08-2015 at 10:24 PM.

I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw that. I'm sure he'll blame Cheryl but she probably called him a pussy after he walked out the front door with that thing on

I think I have a pair of pants to match that shirt! ��
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

surrender your card as well...

I agree with Len on the fonts. Plain is mo betterer IMO

No real opinion here on "mixed fonts" ... but as for color of the font, I don't see a way around it unless you're talking about white. (that's not even a "color" is it?) But with the black & white photo, black font will be a bit hard to see won't it? Seems there will have to be color fonts ... I think white would be a bit washed out and black would not offer enough contrast IMHO.

One thing I just noticed today, and have no clue if it's related to the recent changes or not, if I click on the emoticon (smiley face) thingy in the tool bar, it comes up normally ... but if I click on "more" options, the window disappears completely.

Oh yeah, I do like the "decluttered" dock pics as they're much cleaner looking. #3 is my personal favorite ... for whatever that's worth.

Y'all are hard on a feller when he is unavailable for posting. That shirt is orange and Arty COULD back that up, but of course he wont. so youse guys bite me.

Len or Arty, I'm in Florida for awhile and cannot get to a big confuser, can one of y'all make sure to give Nandy admin powers on the software side?
    That way he can see the admin forum and read all our (but most importantly Niners) notes and comments.
    Is Foo still around? Ain't heard from him in a month of Sunday's?

Florida's rough on a guy ain't it? I think I can remember relaxing on the beach with some Tar Heel dufe a while back.

(sure glad that fugly mug is shadowed!)

KribbswithLarke.jpg

Dang thump, I didn't realize your ava picture was your actual picture ......LOL j/k

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Y'all are hard on a feller when he is unavailable for posting. That shirt is orange and Arty COULD back that up, but of course he wont.

I remember it being fairly pink.
    Might be why you couldnt catch fish that day.

Bite me. I was catchin' 10 to your 1 and I let you have the reel with line on it.
    If I'd kept the good rod/reel combo and handicapped you with the one I was using you would have been cryin more than you were.

I did not like the colors or the fonts and I have actually add a tree behind the G of Goodhunting to get it to read right because the background was not the best.. I guess we can always add anything to the right side of the picture and out of it IF we wanted. I will update the banner to one like #3. keep in mind I have to cut the picture a little bit but I have the picture with no words ready.

No reason to be mad, I more than welcome the criticism, I was actually wanting it. What I mean in my spanglish is what you just stated, we can have the picture with no captions then have the captions (if ever needed) next to it.

Personally, I think it's perfect. I agree the font could use a bit of tweaking, but the pic and caption is extremely meaningful and fitting IMHO.

ok, so lets say we wait until Thursday so everyone can share their idea, then Thursday I lined up the options and y'all make a decision....
    the picture has to be small in both pixels and kb. The original logo is 251x115 and a total of 8kb. The fact this is a graphic with limited colors and not a picture will make it small and fast to load.
    the last version of Lake Conine I made, the one without captions is about 46kb and I have it cropped and resize to 300x165 pixels.
    Len version of it is a bit larger, 500x333 but about the same kb size.
    Captions will add around 10kb to the picture size.

In overall, I am not worried about the size since i am sure not many here are in dial up connections, plus once the browser caches the picture these sizes are irrelevant. In my opinion the actual pixel size might be more important as we dont want to push the threads way down because of the banner is so tall, so i suggest to keep any art no taller than 170 pixels, wide dont really matter much.

Let the populace decide...

Cropped picture with captions on the side OR no caption at all.

Cropped picture with captions in the picture.

that's all I have.