Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just realized a couple of things....

"X" marks the spot! (ALL of 'em!)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Bless your hearts! You really had me....there I was reading along and then WHACK, right in the face with that!

But then I realized that all the blood just drained from your poor little haids and landed in your zipper.........well i know you just cant help it!

Di, please don't take this wrong ... but am I allowed to say, "I love you?"

The confederate flag wavers that greeted The president were mostly from Texas (at least they had Texas plates)and were ran off from every place they tried to hold their 'rally'. So they ended up just driving around waving their flags. Oklahoma wasn't even a state during the Civil War so we don't have a dog in this fight, nor do we have the same 'heritage' as other states.

And as far as your examples, you said in your first post that today's whites never owned slaves and were being blamed for things they didn't even do. I asked for examples. None have been provided. All you've provided are examples of duly elected officials taking steps to remove things they consider offensive. Just like South Carolina did. Nobody that I know of has accused any whites of doing anything in those cases.

I agree that nobody of our generation has done any of these things that are being talked about. I also agree they're being overblown. But if you can't see why black people would be offended by glorification (by statues, flags, etc) of the people that actually did do those things then you are being either intentionally thick headed or you're just blowing the same hard wind that a lot of others are.

What some of these black 'leadership' organizations are doing is weong headed. It is equally wrong headed to totally ignore what they are saying. But I reckon that is what we call discourse in this country.

BKB

Every slave ship that went to and came back from Africa was flying the American flag. So I guess we need to get rid of that one too. Right.
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

The states under that same flag also emancipated the slaves and made it illegal.

Using your logic, if I had German ancestry, then Jews shouldn't find any offense if I decided to fly a swastika on my flag pole in my yard. I mean, after all, I didn't commit any of those crimes did I? It is part of every German's 'heritage' (aka 'history') is it not?

I am ambivalent, as I have been from the beginning, about what another state has as their flag and what people they want to call heroes and erect statues to. But being ambivalent about it doesn't mean I don't see and hear the reasons for their arguments. So far from what I've heard from both sides, there's a whole lot of wind and not very much substance either way. Its mostly a big knee jerk reaction from the side wanting to pull them down and a ton of bullshit from the other. And now, about all we've accomplished is a bunch of white people now consider themselves 'offended' about something they claim they didn't even have anything to do with! How much fucking sense does that make, Larke?

And in the end, no matter how many symbols we yank down and how many rallies we have to wave a flag that is supposedlyothing more than a battle flag, not one iota of progress will have been made towards understanding why that crazy motherfucker killed those people. Not one step will have been taken to prevent the next one (becacuse iMO there aren't any realisitic ones we can take) and about all we will have accomplished is we will have forgotten about the victims and their families and replaced them with a bunch of new 'victims'.

In short, grow the fuck up.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    The states under that same flag also emancipated the slaves and made it illegal.

Using your logic, if I had German ancestry, then Jews shouldn't find any offense if I decided to fly a swastika on my flag pole in my yard. I mean, after all, I didn't commit any of those crimes did I? It is part of every German's 'heritage' (aka 'history') is it not?

I am ambivalent, as I have been from the beginning, about what another state has as their flag and what people they want to call heroes and erect statues to. But being ambivalent about it doesn't mean I don't see and hear the reasons for their arguments. So far from what I've heard from both sides, there's a whole lot of wind and not very much substance either way. Its mostly a big knee jerk reaction from the side wanting to pull them down and a ton of bullshit from the other. And now, about all we've accomplished is a bunch of white people now consider themselves 'offended' about something they claim they didn't even have anything to do with! How much fucking sense does that make, Larke?

And in the end, no matter how many symbols we yank down and how many rallies we have to wave a flag that is supposedlyothing more than a battle flag, not one iota of progress will have been made towards understanding why that crazy motherfucker killed those people. Not one step will have been taken to prevent the next one (becacuse iMO there aren't any realisitic ones we can take) and about all we will have accomplished is we will have forgotten about the victims and their families and replaced them with a bunch of new 'victims'.

In short, grow the fuck up.

BKB
    Sympathizer....... You're the Jane Fonda of Oklahoma !

It's a flag people. It has the power that you provide to it. It does nothing on its own.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by No-till Boss View Post
    Sympathizer....... You're the Jane Fonda of Oklahoma !
    She has nicer titties. And more expensive ones too!

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    There you go speaking "truth" again...

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    It's a flag people. It has the power that you provide to it. It does nothing on its own.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Personally? I could give a rat's ass either way.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

BKB
    Wrong!
    The Emancipation Proclamation freed zero Northern slaves!! Only Southern ones!

Good grief, man!

And only 1.4% of Southerners owned slaves anyway.

Gag me.

If the current argument was "We want to own slaves now", maybe your arguments might have a smidgen of validity. But they don't.

And here I am doing what I said I wouldn't do, because it's so flipping useless!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    And here I am doing what I said I wouldn't do, because it's so flipping useless!!
    What? Talking to yourself?

Wrong!
    The Emancipation Proclamation freed zero Northern slaves!! Only Southern ones!

Good grief, man!

And only 1.4% of Southerners owned slaves anyway.

Gag me.

So. Here you are saying this whole slavery thing didn't exist, niggers ate better off because we brought the, hete chained int the bottom of ships than they wpuld be had we left the, with their families and friends, and since we're not slave owners we ha e some fucking get out of jail free card when it comes to racism.

I got it now. No need for further discussion.

BKB

I think P-hole's been in the squeezin's again!

(but I think I filled in the blanks and figured it out)

So. Here you are saying this whole slavery thing didn't exist, niggers ate better off because we brought the, hete chained int the bottom of ships than they wpuld be had we left the, with their families and friends, and since we're not slave owners we ha e some fucking get out of jail free card when it comes to racism.

I got it now. No need for further discussion.

BKB
    What a nut.

Do you think we chased down free black folks in Africa and brought em here in chains?

"We" bought em from their original black owners.

Your realm of reality is skewed and borders on insanity. I keep trying to ignore it but you're SO out there it's hard to take.

I know history pretty well. I'm pretty sure the rationalization that slave buyers and users are somehow in the right since they bought slaves from people of their own color is a really fucking empty vessel. There quite simply isn't any way out for anyone who ever has claimed another human being.

BKB

I see, so the European slave owners are completely off the hook! Thats kind of like having your own Ben Carson isn't it

BKB

Okay. Sorry. It was the black people's fault. Fly your flag!

BKB

Posthole. What an ugly thing to say. I arbor ugliness. Does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Posty, if I thought you weren't my friend, I don't think I could bear it...
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

No slavery ever existed as perverse as welfare.
    It covers all races, it's sanctioned, it's falsely believed to help people, and it's not even effective.

But all this crap above is crap. Sarcasm doesn't substitute for rational discussion. And the rancor is unneeded and unappreciated. Some folks argue like 14 year old girls, and wrong ones at that. And some people are way too smart to be this wrong and this silly.

So, let me get this straight in case I ever have a problem with Johnny Law.

The way I'm reading this, if a drug dealer sells high grade coke to another drug dealer ... then he steps on it and I buy it from him ... I'm innocent, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    So, let me get this straight in case I ever have a problem with Johnny Law. The way I'm reading this, if a drug dealer sells high grade coke to another drug dealer ... then he steps on it and I buy it from him ... I'm innocent, correct?
    WTF???? I don't understand your comparison?

Black slave traders selling black slaves to white folk. The white folk are innocent in all'o this. Right?

What's that got to do with anything?

No one is advocating slavery as viable.

We're just trying to correct historical mistakes and fight back to those little girls who demand others grow up, rather than have meaningful discussions and realize it's possible to view life differently.

Black slave traders selling black slaves to white folk. The white folk are innocent in all'o this. Right?
    Odd talk fir a man who doesn't give a rats.

Nope, but the white slave traders are no more guilty than the black slave traders. And the black slave traders are not more innocent than the white ones.
    Seems history (and people) want to lay all the blame on just ONE of those groups.

Odd talk fir a man who doesn't give a rats.
    That doesn't mean I can't "instigate".

I've been just dying to quote somebody here who won't let us quote. But I have to admit I got a kick out of this one! This poster shall remain anonymous of course.

I'll bet the majority of the black race screaming about slavery were never a slave.
    I'd say that's a pretty safe bet!