Thread: What do y'all think of this?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I worked in the telecom industry for forty friggin years. Nobody ever told me thanks for providing a way to call grandma,or the police, or go to an ATM. If you're looking for gratitude rrom Americans for doing something that you make your living at, you will be, like you apparently are, disappointed.

And for the record, asking for someone's opinion about something is not an attack. Sure, I recognize the 'anti' make life hard with theor blather. But this isn't anti GMO blather. What I asked about was two simple acts by congress to do basically two things in agriculture: remove the requirement to label foods that contain GMO organisms, and the other is to remove country of origin labeling for chicken pork and beef products.

But since you brought it up agriculture has not always produced the safest food possible. Not the safest for people to eat, not the safest for the environment, and not the safest for the overall health of the financial markets that drive the whole industry. Granted, agricultural practices have improved greatly as we have learned, most times the hard way, but don't give me the apple pie farmer story and try to bluff me away with a bunch of defensive bullshit. Farmers are some of the hardest working people in our country. They do produce the goods we need to survive, not only as a nation, but as a human species. For that reason, we need to protect farming not only as a business but as a way of life in our country. Again, if you think protecting the Monsantos and Archer Daniels Midlands of the world and that they will do those things then that is a very valid opinion. After all, you are one of those farmers I am talking about. But just because I don't share your opinion doesn't mean I should just go away. As a consumer of your products, I deserve the chance to make the choices that I believe are the safest for me. If I want to avoid products from countries that don't have Bucky's beloved USDA ensuring they don't feed animal parts or that conduct agricultural practices that are not sustainable, then no matter what you thinkabout those practices, I should have the information about that product that I need to make the decision based on my criteria. If I want to avoid GMOs, i need that information available. Is GMO labelling costing you money in your business? I'd like to hear your answer on that. All I've gotten is some semi insulting blather about putting someone's genitals in my mouth. If that's what you intended, then I'm not the one that's the cocksucker here. i'd also really like to know what you meant by that remark.
    But back to the topic. Thumper, GMO labelling is not a warning like on cigarette packs. Its simply information. You, who couldn't or wouldn't cook yourself a hamburger, probably don't pay attention to labels. I'll bet five bucks Lynn sure as hell does. it may not worry you to buy and food that somehow got here from a country thousands of miles away where it was grown in human shit as fertilizer. It may not bother you but I will avoid it.

Finally, farmers are important but true farmers are getting more and more scarce. We're already seeing super weeds that are a result of roundup ready GMO crops. Those weeds now potentially threaten native species. Is that what you mean by 'safe'? Is the answer always better chemistry? I, admittedly don't know the answer to that question. But getting defensive about a discussion about it doesn't provide any answers.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I worked in the telecom industry for forty friggin years. Nobody ever told me thanks for providing a way to call grandma,or the police, or go to an ATM. If you're looking for gratitude rrom Americans for doing something that you make your living at, you will be, like you apparently are, disappointed.

BKB
    There is a little difference than something you HAVE to have versus something you need.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Bucky's beloved USDA
    HAHAHAHA
    That was blatant sarcasm, directed at the ugly redhead who has spent 15+ years telling me at ever possible turn, how great all those government agencies are, and how beneficial to our lives they are, and how we need them, and how my attitude of "government sucks" is bad, and how I'm not smart enough to see the real picture.........

And now, here's a perfect example of my concern over a government agency, the USDA, and the same ugly redhead can't for the life of him admit that they're letting food go down his gullet that is bad for him (his concern, not mine).

I laugh at all this.

But........I happen to own a farm. SO........while I hear that ugly redhead saying he isn't attacking, I see through that, and know that he is. I even called him on it, many posts ago.

But........I am so happy. SO HAPPY! There is someone else that will argue with same ugly redhead udder dan me!!! I'm so happy I'm going to read the last paper I'm willing to pay for.........and watch the Cardinals!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled argument.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.