Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What do y'all think of this?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Go ahead. When you 'win', he just disappears.

Been fighting it for years. He never loses an argument.

Course, he's never right, so.............um..............

But, back to the original question..........I think if you believe in evolution, you believe that YOU are a genetically enhance organism. No? If you don't want to eat one, don't. If you don't care, eat away. If you can't figure out which they are, start your own farm. Do it however you want. But this ain't Frankenstein stuff, and I think Posty thinks it is..........at least his words here say he thinks that.

So, my direct answers to his original questions are:
    * I eat whatever I can find. I eat mostly organic, carbon based items. I eat a LOT of them. If they smell bad, I don't eat them.

* I think the REAL bug in his saddle is another hammer thrown at Archer Daniel Midlands and Monsanto (his REAL enemies, for many years, along with Halliburton).......and this was a way to get that done. I pointed out that he's a hypocrite, to a small degree, for singling them out when his employer is far worse......but..........oh well.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I find it odd how people fire a shot and never even try to understand what they're talking about. Broccoli is widely considered one of the most healthiest of sides, offered in almost every restaurant I've ever been in. Yet, in the beginning of time, they was no broccoli, it's a genetically modified food. Oh yeah, most vegetable and fruits are too, without DNA help over the years, most would disappear because of diseases and such.

I will say this, one place where people flock to, to buy what is presumed to be healthy is Farmers Markets. What people DON"T understand, is this is some of the ONLY food you will put in your mouth that is NOT regulated. You question what I produce, which takes years and years to ever bring to market, but you stand in line to buy that big pretty stuff that has no regulations on it. Ever hear the phase, if it looks to good to be true it probably is ? If there is money involved, someone is cheating, and its the same with food. So eat that big yellow squash from the road side stand......lol
    Last edited by No-till Boss; 07-26-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Nah, I'll pass. I might throw up the good stuff I just ate.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I don't really have a dog in this fight and I have to admit, I don't get too carried away with worrying about what I stuff into my pie-hole (that does NOT include MALE genitalia BTW!). I "should" be more concerned probably because I'm as big as a house, but one of the only passions I have these days is enjoying good (tasting) food. If it tastes good, I don't worry too much about how healthy it is ... otherwise I'd have to give up cherry pie and ice cream, something I'm not willing to do. I ate healthy food for two straight months in the hospital. NO THANKS! If that's what I need to eat to be "healthy" ... sorry, I think I'd rather die. This argument has no end ... you can eat healthy, but if that diet includes meat, you're poisoning yourself as far as a vegetarian is concerned. So, you become a vegetarian and the vegans tell you you're poisoning yourself! Sorry, there's some poison I really enjoy ... let me enjoy it.

As for the labeling? Personally, I could give a rat's ass ... if it looks good, smells good and tastes good ... I'll most likely eat it. No, I'd better retract a portion of that statement ... with my history of food choices, I'll take that back and simply say if it TASTES good, I'll eat it! But even that is subjective, oysters gag me, I can't stand Brussels sprouts and IMO, anybody who can drink buttermilk right out of the carton like my grandfather did, needs to be institutionalized. That said, many people love what I hate and vice versa. Back to labeling ... where do we draw the line with this stuff? I rely on the FDA and the USDA to do a reasonable job of protecting me. (I KNOW that'll bring up an argument, but you have to live within reason). I don't want to read 187 pages of bullshit to decide whether or not I want to eat an egg from Cal-Maine Foods ... I just want to fry a frigging egg or two to go with my cholesterol laden bacon and highly buttered toast!

Anyway, this post DID force me to try to better understand what the issue is here. Me? I think it's much like the people who refuse to vaccinate their kids. The world is a MUCH better place due to genetic engineering IMHO and GM crops.

I did find a very interesting article that pretty much hits on both sides of the issue. You guys can argue about it if you want, but like I mentioned previously, I could give a rat's ass!

This link leads to an interesting article I think:

http://12.000.scripts.mit.edu/missio...modified-crops
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Well, as long as you butter your toast AFTER it's browned, we are amazingly on the same page.

I should worry more than you. A L.A.D. M.I. should wake me up. All it did was make me try to see the bottom of my bucket and read the whole list.

Just ate some homemade ice cream. It would have been MUCH better if my lovely wife would have remembered the paddle! But some of the top was edible, and the grandson loved it. But hey, I used Eggland Eggs!!! Look at me go!

I still think the underlying issue is not GMO, but certain lobbyists. But either way, my rat is not wearing diapers either.

Quackwatch
    www.quackwatch.com/

Ha ha ha! Really Sunny, for someone who is overly paranoid by something as simple as being quoted here, it's hard to take you seriously sometimes when the whole subject is, for the most part IMO, based on paranoia.

I clicked on your video and within the first two seconds, I stopped it (besides, it's a frigging hour and 20 minutes!). Why did I give up so fast? The FIRST thing I saw on my screen was "Produced by Gary Null"! That fruitcake is a nutbag to begin with, so you're not furthering your cause much.

From wiki:

Gary Michael Null (born 1945) is an American talk radio host and author who advocates for alternative medicine and naturopathy and who produces a line of dietary supplements.

His views on health and nutrition are at odds with scientific consensus; psychiatrist Stephen Barrett, co-founder of the National Council Against Health Fraud and webmaster of Quackwatch, described Null as "one of the nation's leading promoters of dubious treatment for serious disease".

On his radio show, and in books and self-produced movies, Null criticizes the medical community, promotes a range of alternative cancer treatments, denies that HIV causes AIDS, and promotes dietary supplements which he produces.

In 2010, Null reported that he and six other consumers had been hospitalized from vitamin D poisoning, after ingesting a nutritional supplement carrying his name and endorsement. Null sued a contractor involved in producing the product, alleging that each contained more than 1,000 times the dose of vitamin D reported on the label.

Null was raised in Parkersburg, West Virginia, with his two brothers. He holds an associate's degree in business administration from the 2-year, for-profit Mountain State College in Parkersburg, West Virginia and a Bachelor's degree from Thomas Edison State College in Trenton, New Jersey.

Null holds a Ph.D. in human nutrition and public health sciences from Union Institute & University, a private distance-learning college headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio. Null's doctoral thesis was entitled "A Study of Psychological and Physiological Effects of Caffeine on Human Health".

His credentials, including the degree-granting practices at Edison State and the rigor of the Ph.D. program at Union Institute, have been questioned by Stephen Barrett on his Quackwatch website, who labeled Null as "one of the nation's leading promoters of dubious treatment for serious disease" and a fraud.

Null attacks many facets of mainstream medicine, arguing that physicians and pharmaceutical companies have an economic interest in promoting rather than preventing sickness. In the 1979-80, he co-authored a series of articles on cancer research for Penthouse, entitled The Politics of Cancer beginning with one entitled "The Great Cancer Fraud." Null's writings in Penthouse accused the medical community of "suppressing alternative cancer treatments to protect the medical establishment's solid-gold cancer train." In place of standard medical therapy, Null advocated alternative cancer treatments such as hydrazine sulfate. A series of three articles co-authored by Null in Penthouse is credited by David Gorski with bringing the Burzynski clinic to prominence. In 1985, Null began writing a lengthy series of reports for Penthouse entitled "Medical Genocide". In 1999 TIME wrote of Null: "From a young reporter this is to be expected. But two decades later, Null, 54, is still warning of a variety of medical bogeymen out to gull a trusting public."

Null was the keynote speaker at a rally opposing mandatory H1N1 influenza vaccination during the 2009 flu pandemic, leading the New York State Department of Health to dismiss Null's claims about the vaccine as "not scientifically credible." The New York State Health Commissioner held a conference at the time of the rally to discuss the clinical trials which were used to demonstrate its safety.

In addition to his promotion of alternative cancer treatments and condemnation of the medical establishment, Null has argued that HIV is harmless and does not cause AIDS.[3] In his book AIDS: A Second Opinion, Null advocated a range of dietary supplements for HIV-positive individuals instead of antiretroviral medication. In 2002, Salon.com described the book as "massive, irresponsible and nearly unreadable."

Seth Kalichman, professor of social psychology at the University of Connecticut, has decried Null's role as a prominent proponent of AIDS denialism and has accused him of cashing in on HIV/AIDS; in Kalichman's 2009 book, Denying AIDS, he compared Null's activities to Holocaust denial and described Null as an example of a dangerous entrepreneur who "obviously breached" the balance between free speech and protecting public health.

Null began broadcasting a syndicated radio talk show, Natural Living with Gary Null in 1980. His show was broadcast first on WBAI, then on the VoiceAmerica Network and over the internet. Null's show subsequently returned to WBAI, leading to protests from ACT-UP New York and other AIDS activist groups concerned by Null's promotion of AIDS denialism. He continues to host The Gary Null Show through the Progressive Radio Network, which he established in 2005.

Null has made several self-funded and self-produced documentary films on public policy issues, personal health, and development. His videos have been aired by PBS during pledge drives, but have since been banned, which in 1999, led to a surge in sales of Null's books and for record fundraising for the stations.
    Concern arose within PBS over the videos' sensational claims with the Seattle affiliate cancelling a planned rebroadcast and Ervin Duggan, the president of PBS, expressing concern that by showing Null's videos, the network was "open[ing] the door to quacks and charlatans. "Null received a "best director" nomination for his documentary Chew on This: Dangers of the American Diet Exposed at the 2014 Red Dirt International Film Festival.

In 2010, Null reported that he and six other consumers had been hospitalized for vitamin D poisoning after ingesting a nutritional supplement manufactured for his line of supplements by a contractor. In a lawsuit against the company, he alleged that the supplement erroneously contained more than 1,000 times the dose of vitamin D reported on the label.

The Los Angeles Times wrote that Null's experience "should give pause to anyone lured by the extravagant claims of many supplements makers", and said that it was common for dietary supplements to contain doses "wildly different than those indicated on their label" as a result of weak regulation.

Ha! I see NTB already posted the quackwatch site. (great minds think alike)

I didn't read through it, but I'm assuming Null is included in there somewhere.

Explanation reference, I guess my demographic audience was too old.

I said, it's funny that most have no worries about having oral sex, but you need a label to put a piece of america's fine home grown produce in your mouth . How y'all got the homo reference out of that is by me.

Sunny, there is a good chance you can't buy anything that hasn't been modified. If you'd like to list your favorites foods, I'll be glad to point them out for you.

I always eat as much as I can from the Four Main Food Groups:

Red Meat
    Milk
    Grease
    Twinkies

Speaking of which..........and my family used to sell milk out of a little store...........

When did milk get to where the expiration date is like 10-12 days out? It used to be 3 days. If that's engineering, that's good stuff. Now I can buy 2 gallons when I go to the store and won't have to go back for a few days!!!

I hung around for 28 posts and got nothing but smartass responses, and no answers other than defensive responses that I was dissing our blessed farmers by asking simple questions about our whole agricultural system. I guess as a taxpayer whose dollars go into the billion a year spend on direct federal subsidies to rice growers and a casual buyer of rice products, which I limit buying US rice because of the non organic arsenic levels being higher than most other nations in the world's products, doesn't make me a person who deserves any straight answers other than that.

The questions are really straightforward. Thumper ansered. Sunshine answered. bucky spouted something that doesn't directly relate to anything I asked but that's okay too.

Carry on. Now you're really having a conversation! Now I've been compared to an antivaxxer! This is interesting!

BKb

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Speaking of which..........and my family used to sell milk out of a little store...........

When did milk get to where the expiration date is like 10-12 days out? It used to be 3 days. If that's engineering, that's good stuff. Now I can buy 2 gallons when I go to the store and won't have to go back for a few days!!!
    Have you noticed you can now buy unpasteurized milk in Arkansas now ? Straight off a farm ! I helped lobbied against it but it passed easy....

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I hung around for 28 posts and got nothing but smartass responses, and no answers other than defensive responses that I was dissing our blessed farmers by asking simple questions about our whole agricultural system. I guess as a taxpayer whose dollars go into the billion a year spend on direct federal subsidies to rice growers and a casual buyer of rice products, which I limit buying US rice because of the non organic arsenic levels being higher than most other nations in the world's products, doesn't make me a person who deserves any straight answers other than that.

The questions are really straightforward. Thumper ansered. Sunshine answered. bucky spouted something that doesn't directly relate to anything I asked but that's okay too.

Carry on. Now you're really having a conversation! Now I've been compared to an antivaxxer! This is interesting!

BKb
    There is no direct subsidies to rice farmers anymore.

Hey! You changed subjects several times, I can too!!! You went from GMO being healthy or not to government subsidies to lobbying, to .........geez. You're hard to keep up with! I'm doing best I can..........given what I have to work with.

Don’t rely on an “organic” label—rice grown organically was found to have the same arsenic levels as “conventionally” grown rice. While organic rice may contain fewer pesticides, arsenic levels are still high.

OH, and there are NO DIRECT SUBSIDIES TO RICE FARMERS, you dweeb! See why it's so hard to argue with you?

I honestly wasn't sure how that turned out in the new farm bill. I thought they'd just traded direct payments for much higher subsidized crop insurance, and I know there was a big argument over whether that'd be cheaper or more expensive I just couldn't tell you which is correct. Its direct money either way if you stop sending me a check but pay for my mortgage and make sure my house stays appraised at competitive values, you're still giving me money. And it ain't free.

I know there are pros and cons to subsidies and I know you compete in a world market where your competitors are backed by very non-competitive practices. Look at friggin Thailand. But getting anyone associated with farming to have a respectful and meaningful conversation on this site for some reason is damned near impossible.
    And it really doesn't help when you are told you're too ignorant to have a conversation with and that's the reason you're getting the shiv.

But suit yourself. And I hope you every success. Nobody wins if farming fails for any reason.

BKB

You're not too ignorant. You're just too biased. That's my opinion. But I do enjoy having fun wid ya at times.

Still, I know what I think and I don't change my opinion of things just cause someone says a word or two. And embedded in my flippant responses is my real belief. I simply don't care, and I still think you're more miffed on lobbying than truly wishing to discuss farming.

I laugh at much of this "organic" craze these days. It reminds me of my days in California. I have a buddy out there whose wife will buy NOTHING but organic foods and he complains to me that it's putting him in the poor house! I remember sending him an article I read around the end of last year (I think) that said studies have shown the eggs of "free range" chickens are more prone to be contaminated than caged chickens because caged chickens aren't exposed to all the poop (from other critters as well as their fellow chickens!). I haven't followed it, but regular eggs are expected to double in price out there because the Californicators actullay voted to make caged chicken production illegal! Sheeesh!

I'm sure the same arguments could go on and on with other things. Heck, half the fish down here have elevated levels of mercury. But, I won't even go there. The point is, there are two sides to every story and non-regulated items in the food chain aren't always a good thing.

Edit: This "might" be the article I sent my buddy ... I remember it was close to Christmas because I slipped a copy into the Christmas card I sent ... but I didn't realize it was 2012! Time flies!

http://feedstuffsfoodlink.com/story-...thier-74-71784

I honestly wasn't sure how that turned out in the new farm bill. I thought they'd just traded direct payments for much higher subsidized crop insurance, and I know there was a big argument over whether that'd be cheaper or more expensive I just couldn't tell you which is correct. Its direct money either way if you stop sending me a check but pay for my mortgage and make sure my house stays appraised at competitive values, you're still giving me money. And it ain't free.

I know there are pros and cons to subsidies and I know you compete in a world market where your competitors are backed by very non-competitive practices. Look at friggin Thailand. But getting anyone associated with farming to have a respectful and meaningful conversation on this site for some reason is damned near impossible.
    And it really doesn't help when you are told you're too ignorant to have a conversation with and that's the reason you're getting the shiv.

But suit yourself. And I hope you every success. Nobody wins if farming fails for any reason.

BKB
    We haven't received a penny since the direct payment three years ago. But when you figure out what I'm going to get, let me know so I can put it on my balance sheet.

Back to your original label thingy. Why should I take your label interest serious ? You've yet to map out your diet for us ? Also, I find it hard to believe you have any vested interest in product awareness when you're a self-proclaimed toker ! You think all that cannabis has been organic and regulated ?

You're right Thump, California voted to have expanded cages. Been watching that closely here in Arkansas because PECO is moving in a huge operation in my part of the State.

A lot of the anti GMO stuff is that way. Considering the millions spent on lobbying by the industry, I'll accept that. Regardless, I still think there is some validity in the issues.

If GMOs are as safe as they say, then why is there hesitancy to simply label food that is genetically modified? Why is less information better for the grower and/or the consumer?

BkB
    Direct answers: Cost with no meaningful benefit.

And..........Cost with no meaningful benefit.

Two questions, two direct answers.

BUT, your original question was "What do you think of this?" and I told you, several times.

I know right where the weed I get comes from and yes its grown without benefit of chemical fertilizers or weed killers. Its only the government that sprays bad shit on weed anyway. And I definitely get the same little prickly tone from you bringing that up in those words anyway. I suppose that makes a difference to some folks. It don't to me.

My diet has nothing to do with GMO labeling or COOL labeling. Just for FYi, i don't shop organic, but I do shop hormone free meats, i do buy from markets that sell regionally grown products and I probably do 2/3 of buying our food in the produce and meat sections. A few years ago we made a conscious effort to really as much as is reasonable to only eat foods that you can look at and tell what its origins are. In other words, I know what a chicken leg looks like. I couldn't recognize a chicken in a nugget. That general rule has lead us to healthier eating. Its not perfect but we're not regimented enough to follow anything more specific than that. And of course there are exceptions. Like ice cream.

BKB

I am going to remember one thing about this discussion. I'm going to remember that you want folks to give a direct answer to your questions in a discussion. That is certainly one of your weaker points! But I'm glad to know it's important to you.

I went back and re-read this whole thread. I think any rational person would conclude that you want GMO products labeled so you can decide not to buy them, that you think farmers are destroying our farmland, that you don't like SOME lobbyists if they give money to keep labeling off food, and that you are doing a little, but really close to nothing, to avoid eating GMO food.

If I'm wrong, let me know. But that's a synopsis of your posts, at least best I can garner.

I know what a chicken leg looks like. I couldn't recognize a chicken in a nugget.
    But you can recognize a cow in a hamburger?

I know right where the weed I get comes from and yes its grown without benefit of chemical fertilizers or weed killers. Its only the government that sprays bad shit on weed anyway. And I definitely get the same little prickly tone from you bringing that up in those words anyway. I suppose that makes a difference to some folks. It don't to me.

My diet has nothing to do with GMO labeling or COOL labeling. Just for FYi, i don't shop organic, but I do shop hormone free meats, i do buy from markets that sell regionally grown products and I probably do 2/3 of buying our food in the produce and meat sections. A few years ago we made a conscious effort to really as much as is reasonable to only eat foods that you can look at and tell what its origins are. In other words, I know what a chicken leg looks like. I couldn't recognize a chicken in a nugget. That general rule has lead us to healthier eating. Its not perfect but we're not regimented enough to follow anything more specific than that. And of course there are exceptions. Like ice cream.

BKB
    Congradulations on your healthy choices of pot and food. I wish you the best of luck with it !

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Hormone free hamburger....

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    No, but I can recognize a smartass, smartass!

BKB