Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What do y'all think of this?

The people who push GMO labels and GMO-free shopping aren’t informing you or protecting you. They’re using you. They tell food manufacturers, grocery stores, and restaurants to segregate GMOs, and ultimately not to sell them, because people like you won’t buy them. They tell politicians and regulators to label and restrict GMOs because people like you don’t trust the technology. They use your anxiety to justify GMO labels, and then they use GMO labels to justify your anxiety. Keeping you scared is the key to their political and business strategy. The bottom line is that labeling is only a cover for the anti-capitalism agenda of leftist foodies. They oppose biotechnology entirely. Even though modern genetic engineering of plants has been deemed safe by most international science organizations and practiced for decades here in the U.S. without any ill effects, GMO foes can’t get past their anti-corporate hatred toward companies such as Monsanto to acknowledge the usefulness and promise of genetically engineered crops. It’s a political issue, not a science issue.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    One of NTB's and Posthole's arguments is convincing.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I was with you all the way up to the anti-capitalism of the leftist foodies. i think what you say is reasonable up to a point too about anti GMO groups and what they want to accomplish. But on the flip side, there is just as big a push by companies with real skin in the game for our food dollars that would do anything to ensure they control the entire food industry. Monsanto controls about 90% of the soybean seed industry and about 80% of the corn planted is done with Monsanto patented seeds. I'm not sure why the 'too big to fail' lessons we learned from banking shouldn't cause concern with the food we eat. Especially considering the vigorous litigation Monsanto uses to enforce its patents. That stuff isn't made up and isn't a leftist agenda.

Why is it anything you don't like is called leftist? As aleft hander I don't know howxto take that.

BKB

Oh dear. Sunny just put up the most quotable post in 15 years, and I can't quote it.

Oh dear.

Sunny???

Oh, never mind.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Oh dear. Sunny just put up the most quotable post in 15 years, and I can't quote it.

Oh dear.

Sunny???

Oh, never mind.
    This don't make her mad so go for it !

Well how the heck do you think an ambidextrous takes it? Me being one!! Lol

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post

Oh dear.

Sunny???

Oh, never mind.
    lol... nope - she doesn't have seeds... I think...
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

My SDing service was not even needed on this thread.
    Ain't yall game I didn't "stir it"
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    that last message is a little garbled Cap, are you saying some of us are gamey?
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

For some reason he's got game roosters on the brain.
    BKB

Dang! Sunny leaves herself wide open and I wasn't here to take advantage. DAMMIT!!!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Bucky tried, and went down in a hail of bullets.

BKB

Maybe ... but I have much more SD'ing experience.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Excuse my ignorance, but technically aren't hybrids genetically modified?
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

That's one of the problems with discussing this issue. Lots of things are genetically engineered. Synthetic biology is really what we're talking about. We've been genetically engineering things since we first planted stuff and domesticated animals. Thats not the synthetic biology that actually modifies the genes of an organism though. Two different animules.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    That's one of the problems with discussing this issue. Lots of things are genetically engineered. Synthetic biology is really what we're talking about. We've been genetically engineering things since we first planted stuff and domesticated animals. Thats not the synthetic biology that actually modifies the genes of an organism though. Two different animules.

BKB
    So you're a plant pathologist/scientists now ? They're not necessarily different .......

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Isn't doing anything other than allowing things to take their natural course in reproducing, synthetic biology?

Introducing new genetic material into any organism will make offspring with modified genes from the parents, right. So basically it's eugenics for domestic animals and plants. Over history we've allowed the strongest to reproduce and tried to eliminate the weaker genetic material right out of the species.

So I guess you are talking about things that change the genetic make-up of an organism in it's own lifetime, not from one generation to the next.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

No, I'm not a plant fucking plant pathologist, smartass. But even a dumb ass like me can tell there's a difference in modifying a plant over time through breeding for certain characteristics and altering or introducing a gene artificially in a plant.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    No, I'm not a plant fucking plant pathologist, smartass. But even a dumb ass like me can tell there's a difference in modifying a plant over time through breeding for certain characteristics and altering or introducing a gene artificially in a plant.

BKB
    What if you insert a characteristics that is already found in the plant ? Is that altering ?

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    Isn't doing anything other than allowing things to take their natural course in reproducing, synthetic biology?

Introducing new genetic material into any organism will make offspring with modified genes from the parents, right. So basically it's eugenics for domestic animals and plants. Over history we've allowed the strongest to reproduce and tried to eliminate the weaker genetic material right out of the species.

So I guess you are talking about things that change the genetic make-up of an organism in it's own lifetime, not from one generation to the next.
    Exactly !

I don't know the answer to that. I'm not going to split hairs on what synthetic biology is vs what geneticists do by breeding for desireable traits. And just for the record, breeding plants or animals for selected traits has been proven many times to produce bad results so the science of genetics isn't pure a the driven snow like many would have us believe.

We can't explain away all the bad stuff that's in our food or in our fields on GMOs. We can't say, for example, that its the cause of the big decline of pollinators in nature. What we can say is we don't know that they don't. Simply saying the science will never be settled isn't a valid reason to just label anyone who asks questions a leftist foodie either.

And yeah, I'm stuck on that term because you lifted it directly along with a lot of other stuff you cut and pasted from mostly conservative writers and web sites. That's fine and dandy and its no biggie to me. I did ask for your opinions though, because as a farmer I do value what you have to say. If those lengthy cut and pastes are your opinion, that's fine too. But its kind of disengenuous don't you think?

BKB

I read about 8 hours a day about my profession. I also sit on several boards that address these same issues . When I cut and paste , it's usually something that I've read that day, and pertains to what I'm discussing.

But if that fucking bothers you, and if my fucking grammar bothers bucky, then why don't we start a fucking dissertation thread so you fuckers can try and feel superior !

I think everyone needs to chill, and take a deep breath.
    Southern Gentleman

Haha.

I tole y'all he'd fit in!!

He does! And I like him!

So are either of the people you fucking quoted fucking plant pathologists either?

I think one was Steve Forbes and the other was some food writer for some libertarian rag.

I like it when you swear! You get all red and shit.

And since you sit on boards and stuff that deals with this shit, then your own opinions are certainly worth more than those right wing assholes. They have an agenda you know.

BKB

I'm a right wing foodie. Does that mean I'm still a dickhead?
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

No, but a whole bunch of other shit still does.

BKB

When asking these types of in-depth complicated questions about seed/food please ask them ONE question at a time, and I will try to explain them. You're never gonna get all your questions aswered asking 25 at a time. The quote feature is not all it's cracked up to be on here.
    Last edited by No-till Boss; 07-30-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Gawd.. I love this place.... seldom do you get to see two relatively intelligent, and informed, individuals (with no "off" buttons) carry on with out some admin giving everyone a time-out.. and eddie... mind your own business - it's taken two days to get them this wound up..

and Sunshine - that would be "three" coins.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Now we're getting somewhere. So help me understand or point me someplace that has some cogent argument that sheds some light on the pros and cons of GMO in agriculture. By cogent argument I mean one that isn't an attack on the people on the other side of the deal but actually, in your opinion, gets to the nut of the issue. GMO, or any other branch of science technology can't be 100% pros and no cons. But everyone is so damned focused on describing what an idiot or evil archangel or conspirant the people who think other than what they think, that its damned hard to find an article on it that isn't ideological.

Just so you know, my feelings on organic are very close to yours. Organic had promise at one time though. It doesn't have to mean (nor does it currently) pesticide free either. But I do personally know a dairy farmer that went organic with hos operation and I know that his milk is what its advertised to be. From grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free cows and there's also differences in how its handled. So all 'organic' isn't a sham. Much of that labelling is meaningless though and not worth the extra expense.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by No-till Boss View Post
    The quote feature is not all it's craced to be on here.
    Sunny has done hacked into No-tills account !