Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What yall think about the lion killing???....

What yall think about the lion killing???....

Right or wrong, it still hurts the sport of hunting:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/africa...e-lion-killed/
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    It amazes me the people that get into an uproar (hehe) over an animal, yet thinks it's ok to kill a million human babies a year in this country.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Too early to tell but if he was in it knowingly we need to ship him back and let them have their justice.

I have no desire to hunt and kill a lion. But lets put this in perspective. We have a national wildlfe refuge south of us. If you maintain a foodplot and feeder on private land outside the refuge and a "well known" giant ass deer comes off the refuge and you shoot him standing in your foodplot, is that wrong? Another example of media blowing shit out of proportion, to me anyway....

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I'm with Booger on this one. If I owned land next to a preserve or refuge, or bordered land that was managed for trophy sized bucks, I would do everything in my power to legally lure those big bucks onto my property. One would have to be brain damaged to not try. The hunter in Africa didn't do anything wrong except kill a well known animal. Had the exact same thing happened with a lesser known or unknown lion from the refuge nobody would care. It's a STUPID overblown story about nothing important.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Let's worry about this a lot..........and ignore the killing of viable babies for convenience sake.

Sorry........but "we" are one screwed up buncha folks........
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Its much ado about not very much. I have no idea if he broke the hunting laws of that country. Sounds like they're after him though.

Just glad its not Cecil of Beany and Cecil. I love that big green guy.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Bucky, I'm pretty sure that is what I said in my last sentence. I just worded it a little different.

Were I disagree is that they crossed (at least is stated that way) into the preserve to lure the lion out of there. That is different than making your property more viable for the game therefore the game moving INTO your property.

I take it this means that we should ignore all game poaching laws until we have made abortion illegal!

We should hunt on Sundays too!

BKB

/HAHAHA You're the MASTER of "Let's don't waste time on silly problem A until we solve really big problem B"!!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

hey, I was only attempting to paraphrase what you said.

BKB

WE do hunt sundays down here...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    Were I disagree is that they crossed (at least is stated that way) into the preserve to lure the lion out of there. That is different than making your property more viable for the game therefore the game moving INTO your property.
    There's so much misinformation in that "news" story.. but no where have I seen anything about crossing the park line. Yep - that's what they *want* to convey. Latest info I've seen is that they had a bait a mile and a half outside the park. The lion hit it. They shot him - and not with a crossbow.. "Passing the buck" the "reporter" said. When obtaining an outfitter for a hunt like that - you are relying on his expertise. Lion was 13 - on average they live to be 14. I agree with Sky - stupid and over-blown - and the only "importance" is as eddie said - it's fuel for propaganda and bad for the sport.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    There's so much misinformation in that "news" story.. but no where have I seen anything about crossing the park line.
    "They went hunting at night with a spotlight, and they spotted Cecil," Rodrigues said. "They tied a dead animal to their vehicle to lure Cecil out of the park, and they scented an area about half a kilometer from the park," or about 550 yards.

I guess it is open to debate if they saw Cecil while they were in the park or not. Either way, as I said in my first post, is too early to tell what the facts are if they are ever presented.... I hunt, I dont condemn the taking of the animal as long as the law was followed.

I stand corrected. I missed that part.. If that happened it was unethical...
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Administrator
    I would feel better if he ate it. I just don't get hunting for trophies. Keeping trophies? Sure. I try my best to eat everything I shoot and don't shoot anything I ain't gonna eat.

There's a meat shop in St. Pete where you can order exotic meats, including lion. The proprietor told me that lion's are regularly culled in the preserves and there is a long line for the meat. You can put a deposit on some lion meat, and when your number comes up, they send you a package. For all I know, it could be horse meat, but the story he told made sense.. Lions gonna get culled.
    --Foo

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    This from a guy who eats carp and coyote.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Administrator
    I weren't lying, CD! I eat what I catch.. Besides, you've never had my carp patties, so don't judge!
    --Foo

Trophy hunting, or big game hunting or whatever you want to call it is not my cup of tea, and I think very often goes over the ethical line. At least it does MY ethical line which is not the same as everybody's. But it is another one of those things where other people get to make their own ethical choices and I thank our lucky stars that freedom exists. And its also one of those things that if we do it right, we don't sit in judgement when that happens. That's the hard part for everybody too.

This lion, Cecil we'll call him, was killed unethically by even the lowest of standards IF the stories of how he was taken are true. As Eddie said in the first post, it harms the entire sport of hunting. Baseball fans are fond of saying players should play in a way that has respect for the game. The same is true of hunting. In a perfect world, we'd do that because its the right thing to do. In the current far from perfect world we also have to be aware of how our sport is perceived. IMO if we ignore that reality then a lot of what we love to do won't survive.

BKB

Administrator
    Honest question, as I haven't been following the story: What was unethical about it? He had a lion permit didn't he?
    I had heard that the guide and the landowner were brought up on poaching charges, but I haven't been able to figure out why..
    --Foo

I wouldn't mind having some lion balls to hang from my trailer hitch .....

Well, spotlighting him at night wasn't a good idea. Coaxing him out of a national park where he was protected with a carcass tied to a truck is shady. If it was all above board, why the secrecy?

BKB

I heard Bill Cosby coaxed old Cecil out with some quaaludes ..... IDK

Administrator
    I didn't hear about all that. Does seem shady. I wonder if there are proper regulations in Zimbabwe?

If it were Cosby, he could have promised Cecil an acting career before bagging him.
    --Foo

Part of the problem is the veracity of the information. Who knows at this point what is true. Lots of jumping to conclusions.

BKB

Major problem is: we don't know the facts. We know what the media (and internet) is/are telling us.

Foo, word is, allegedly, the landowner did not have a lion "quota". LOs get so many permits for so many animals. Lion was either not among his.. or perhaps had been already filled.

It's not unusual to bait carnivores by dragging a bait - but I agree with Barry, if it is true they spot-lighted the cat knowing it was in the park - BS.

and we don't even know that Cecil wasn't eaten. Game is most often given to local villagers.

and if you're really interested - I found a site that has lion meat on sale. A 12 to 14 oz lion ribeye.. regularly $599 - now - $499..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    What HH said.

I don't wanna know the facts, it happened in Zimbabwe, fuck em !

Part of the problem is the veracity of the information. Who knows at this point what is true. Lots of jumping to conclusions.
    BKB

But BKB, you said this..........isn't this YOUR jumping to conclusions? Seems to me it is.

This lion, Cecil we'll call him, was killed unethically by even the lowest of standards IF the stories of how he was taken are true. As Eddie said in the first post, it harms the entire sport of hunting.